News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Theoretical Community CCG Project

Started by Malagar, December 12, 2011, 03:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ascent

Producing a standardized mechanic for them all would be the way to keep the rules down. Otherwise, I have no ideas at this time.

As for cardgameforge.com, I say use it as a staging area, and if anyone drops by there, go ahead and incorporate any ideas they have that you like and perhaps direct them here to help out. Nothing wrong with expanding the base.

Malagar

@Ascent: I only have a half-solution for the Conflict problem, wich i will explain later. Thank you for the feedback.

@All:

Okay, im publishing the first 20 cards here now in textform and later on cardgameforge as templated images.

please dont think i want to work on the project alone all the time, but with exception of Ascent and ro0cknes - who both provide valueable input - this thing is almost completely propelled by myself. so i decided to design theese cards in my fashion, without the agreement of a comitee (or whatever). I have really mixed feelings about the card-text design so far, your feedback would be most valueable because i dont know if this is the road we want to take. a few facts:

* The 20 cards are all agendas, as theese are independent from factions and are required in decks of any type.
* all cards where designed to be aligned to conflicts
* cards where designed in circles with repeating mechanics
* as gaining VP for scoring an agenda is unrewarding, i decided to add additional effects to them (like cantrips in M:TG)
* the CLASS line is just a internal design note and wont appear o the card
* VP = Victory Points
* Exert = Tap

GALAXIAN CCG - PREMIER SET AGENDA CARDS 1 TO 20
========================================================

"PRICE OF PROVOCATION"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLASS: Military Agenda, Cantrip
VP: 1
CARD-TEXT: When you win a military conflict, score and discard this agenda. When this agenda is
scored you may flip your faction to war.

"TRAMPLE DOWN THE WEAK"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLASS: Military Agenda, Cantrip
CARD-TEXT: When you win a military conflict, score and discard this agenda. When this agenda is
scored you may damage target fleet once.

"ON THE ROAD TO VICTORY"
CLASS: Military Agenda, Buff
VP: 2
CARD-TEXT: When you win a military conflict, put a progression counter on this card. When there are
two progression counters on it, score this agenda and switch this card.
SWITCH-TEXT: Exert to support target military conflict you participate in by +1, if you loose the
conflict switch this card.

"A CALL TO ARMS"
CLASS: Military Agenda, Tutor
VP: 3
CARD-TEXT: When you win a military conflict, put a progression counter on this card. When there are
three progression counters on it, score this agenda and switch this card.
SWITCH-TEXT: Discard this card: Search your deck for a fleet card, show it to all players and put it
into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

"FIRE WITH FIRE"
CLASS: Military Agenda, Major Effect
VP: 4
four progression counters on it, score this agenda and switch this card.
SWITCH-TEXT: Switch to destroy target military card.

"EAGER TO SUCCEED"
CLASS: Science Agenda, Cantrip
CARD-TEXT: When you win a science conflict, score and discard this agenda. When this agenda is
scored you may add a construction counter to target card.

"FLASH OF WIT"
CLASS: Science Agenda, Cantrip
CARD-TEXT: When you win a science conflict, score and discard this agenda. When this agenda is
scored you may draw a card.

"SCIENCE NEVER SLEEPS"
CLASS: Science Agenda, Buff
CARD-TEXT: When you win a science conflict, put a progression counter on this card. When there are
SWITCH-TEXT: Exert to support target science conflict you participate in by +1, if you loose the

"KNOWLEDGE IS POWER"
CLASS: Science Agenda, Tutor
CARD-TEXT: When you win a science conflict, put a progression counter on this card. When there are
SWITCH-TEXT: Discard this card: Search your deck for a enhancement card, show it to all players and
put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

"SCIENTIFIC AIM"
CLASS: Science Agenda, Major Effect
SWITCH-TEXT: Switch to add one progression counter to target agenda.

"WORDS ARE A DOUBLE-EDGED SWORD"
CLASS: Diplomatic Agenda, Cantrip
CARD-TEXT: When you win a diplomatic conflict, score and discard this agenda. When this agenda is
scored you may flip your faction to peaceful.

"SETTING THE COURSE"
CLASS: Diplomatic Agenda, Cantrip
CARD-TEXT: When you win a diplomatic conflict, score and discard this agenda. When this agenda is
scored, look at the top card of your deck - you may put it at the top or bottom of your deck.

"STRENGTH IN UNITY"
CLASS: Diplomatic Agenda, Buff
CARD-TEXT: When you win a diplomacy conflict, put a progression counter on this card. When there are
SWITCH-TEXT: Exert to support target diplomacy conflict you participate in by +1, if you loose the

"GATHERING FRIENDS"
CLASS: Diplomatic Agenda, Tutor
CARD-TEXT: When you win a diplomacy conflict, put a progression counter on this card. When there are
SWITCH-TEXT: Discard this card: Search your deck for a personality card, show it to all players and

"SEALING THE FUTURE"
CLASS: Diplomatic Agenda, Major Effect
SWITCH-TEXT: Switch to look at the top five cards of your deck and put them back in any order.

"SABOTAGE ACT"
CLASS: Intrigue Agenda, Cantrip
CARD-TEXT: When you win a intrigue conflict, score and discard this agenda. When this agenda is
scored, remove a construction counter from target card.

"BENEFIT THROUGH CONFUSION"
CLASS: Intrigue Agenda, Cantrip
CARD-TEXT: When you win a intrigue conflict, score and discard this agenda. When this agenda is
scored, target opponent discards a card at random from his hand.

"CRACKING HEADS"
CLASS: Intrigue Agenda, Buff
CARD-TEXT: When you win a intrigue conflict, put a progression counter on this card. When there are
SWITCH-TEXT: Exert to support target intrigue conflict you participate in by +1, if you loose the

"ONE EVIL NEVER COMES ALONE"
CLASS: Intrigue Agenda, Tutor
CARD-TEXT: When you win a intrigue conflict, put a progression counter on this card. When there are
SWITCH-TEXT: Discard this card: Search your deck for a event card, show it to all players and

"FAILING EXPECTATIONS"
CLASS: Intrigue Agenda, Major Effect
SWITCH-TEXT: Switch to remove one progression counter from target agenda.

r0cknes

Card Text ideas. It seems you are going the route of VP for an agenda and the amount of progress tokens are equal. I think that is completely fine. However, I don't think you need to put the amount of tokens needed in the text if it is always going to be equal to the VP anyway.

I also like how some agendas have constant effects, some have one time effects, and some agendas may be accomplished more than once per game. I think that variability is very good.

I do see the conflict problem. I will think about it, but I am looking forward to what your idea is.

Ascent

Okay, I think I missed the definition of "score". What does it mean? I guess it just means to complete the Agenda? No special action?

We might have to work on some terms that are less ambiguous. Either way, we'll need a glossary.

r0cknes

I think it just means that you earn the vp associated with the agenda and increase your vp total accordingly.

Malagar

@VP: No, the VP and progress tokens are not tied. we have to test this first. there could be cards that require much more or less tokens gain VP.

@Agenda Effects: Yes, i tried to make them as interesting as possible, i have another 12 agenda cards in preperation. that 32 in total wich should be enough to allow interesting deck building and different tactics.

@Score: Means to "finish" or "complete" a agenda. No other special actions required, it triggers once the last progression counter is put on the agenda. Scoring also includes removing all progress counters from the card again. The name of the term can be changed later of course.

more later, thank you for your feedback!

Ascent

More intuitive words instead of "score" might be "reset" or "clear".

Dragoon

I think score is good.

About conflicts. Maybe it's an idea to have each type of conflict giving it's own reward.

Military - damages fleet
Science - draws cards.
Intrigue - Mills decks
etc.

I think score is fine.

Malagar

I also think score is fine, its from the netrunner CCG because they also use the word "score" in combination with "agenda" cards. this is where the similarities to that game end ;-)

@Dragoon: Yes, all attribute types have a "style" and are therefore centered around specific mechanics. military is combat orientated etc. intrigue is discard, removing progression counters from agendas and other obstacles. the same is true for the other attribute types.

the only exception are the tutor agendas, wich allow you to search your deck for a specific card type. and the +1 agendas, wich allow you to support conflicts of the same attribute. both agendas act as universal tools once they are completed.

so, i thought about the cards before posting them here :-)

But, we need another term for removing cards from play. its currently called discard, wich is misunderstood too easy. maybe trash or scrap or whatever.

4 new agenda cards added:

"NO NAME YET"
CLASS: Resource Agenda, Cantrip
CARD-TEXT: When you win a resource conflict, score and discard this agenda. When this agenda is
scored, add x solaris to your pool. Where x is the income of the conflict target.

"NO NAME YET"
CLASS: Resource Agenda, Buff
CARD-TEXT: When you win a resource conflict, put a progression counter on this card. When there are
SWITCH-TEXT: Exert to support either side of target resource conflict by +1. if the side you support
looses the conflict switch this card.

"NO NAME YET"
CLASS: Resource Agenda, Tutor
CARD-TEXT: When you win a resource conflict, put a progression counter on this card. When there are
SWITCH-TEXT: Discard this card: Search your deck for a resource card, show it to all players and put
it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

"NO NAME YET"
CLASS: Resource Agenda, Major Effect
SWITCH-TEXT: Switch to put target resource card on top of its owners deck.

Dragoon

What's wrong with the good old destroy?

Malagar

@Dragoon: Sounds okay. What i like so much about "score" is the shortness of the word. So maybe something like "blast" would fit. "blast target card..." - hmm, well...

Last post for today:

This is how i would like to solve the conflict problem (at least to some degree): just by introducing a new card type called "Conflict" card that provocates a conflict using one of the attributes. I admit this idea is stolen from the old babylon 5 ccg, but i dont care as our game is already unique enough. card example to show the new possibilities opening up:

"ERUDITE IMBROGLIO"
CLASS: Science Conflict
COST: 2
CARD-TEXT: Initiate a science conflict. The player who wins this conflict may draw x cards, where x is the amount his conflict total exceeds the second highest total of participants (up to a maximum of 3 cards).

so if i tap a card that provides science 5 and you tap a card that just provides science 3, i may draw 2 cards as a result of this conflict.

conflicts could affect: all participants, some participants, the winner, the looser, all non-participants etc. this card type has a lot to offer

just dont know if a resource cost is really required for this card type.

Ascent

Quote from: Malagar on January 02, 2012, 03:12:50 PM
I also think score is fine, its from the netrunner CCG because they also use the word "score" in combination with "agenda" cards. this is where the similarities to that game end ;-)
The most important mechanic in the game is just like Netrunner, so we adopt the same nominclature to highlight that fact?

Malagar

@Ascent: Well my idea wasn't very creative - but your comment wasn't very constructive either.

So, im trying to get stuff done actually. redoing the templates a little bit to make the spotting mechanic easier. But im not quite there yet.

Attribute types under the cost of a card to show the spotting requirement:

Attribute type/types inside a cards textbox as a watermark to show the attribute type of this card:

this way its easy to spot the right cards just by looking at the symbols, without the need to read a single line of text. we could later exchange the icons with fancy symbols (alien language / ornaments / whatever)

Ascent

Quote from: Malagar on January 03, 2012, 02:39:03 AM
@Ascent: Well my idea wasn't very creative - but your comment wasn't very constructive either.
Offering alternatives was constructive. 'Nuff said.

Cyrus

I think the symbols should be a bit more related to the thing they represent, but I like the mechanic and having the symbol be a watermark is a pretty good space-saving technique. Can't way to try this thing out!!