Summoners CCG - Read the rules, see if you want to playtest. :)

Started by snowyy, September 28, 2011, 06:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowyy

Ok, thx. Do you think introducing Attack and defence stance will give it that bit of complexitiy/ strataggy it needs? Or do you think it needs somthing more?

snowyy

Here is the new look cards:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can see i have changed the icons, and added digits to the stats. Also, i have given them all rarities:

Black - Common
Sliver - Uncommon
Yellow - Rare

So you can see how some decks could look like, and wat the costing of cards look like compared to their stats.

Ascent

Quote from: snowyy on October 05, 2011, 05:17:50 AM
Ok, thx. Do you think introducing Attack and defence stance will give it that bit of complexitiy/ strataggy it needs? Or do you think it needs somthing more?
That certainly is a start. But be careful that it doesn't end up being Yugioh. If you can present it in a unique way would be ideal. Perhaps requiring some rule or mechanic to allow it or make it happen, beyond simply saying "I put Swamp Dragon in defense mode". If that's the direction you want to go. If you can do it the Yugioh way and still keep your game unique, then it would be okay.

As for the multi-digit stats, I was referring more to numbers like "12", "22", "17", etc. The larger number is meant only to allow greater variance so that you can use bonuses like "+6" and turn "17" into "23". Though, as long as you're using bonuses like "+20" and "+70", then what you have currently should work for what I was talking about. But don't let me dictate. I'm just clarifying what I meant.

snowyy

Ok. Yeah, i will make more unique numbers, but for the 'Core' set i wanted to keep it simply.

I never really got into Yugioh, so i don't really know what that 'rule' is. Basically im thinking, in defencive stance the summon gets +def of summon in support zone. in Attack stance it gets +att of support summon.

How similar is that to Yugioh?

Ascent

You might actually read the Yugioh rules. Researching rules of games who have done the same thing can tell you either how to do something or give you inspiration about what you can do to keep from duplicating similar mechanics exactly. Whichever way it is you're wanting to go.

snowyy

Yeah i might do that. Do you think the game as it stands now is at a decent stage to create the plugin? I have basically uploaded the cards, but need to change them with the new rarity system and new stats.

Himalayas

Are you making each card by hand through photoshop/gimp? Or a MSE type program. I only ask because they're very uniform and also very clean looking. Great job!!

Ascent

Quote from: snowyy on October 05, 2011, 09:30:53 AM
Yeah i might do that. Do you think the game as it stands now is at a decent stage to create the plugin? I have basically uploaded the cards, but need to change them with the new rarity system and new stats.
Sure. Create a play-test file the same way as the AllSets.txt file (You can name it anything you like). This will be permanent. After you're done play-testing, keep the playtest.txt file and the AllSets.txt file (or whatever you end up calling it) together. In one you put the cardss players will be playing and on the other, only you and your play-testers have access to. For now though, you'll only being using the play-test file. Don't worry about making a bunch of images right now.

You can provide the updated rules as you go along. This is currently in the development stage. Don't do play-testing until you're ready to go to the early tuning stages to find out what mechanics work and what don't, known as the Alpha. After you have conquered the basic mechanics, then you go to Beta to work out the fine details. When you're ready for release, you should be confident that there are no mechanical changes needed. There may still be rough edges by that time, but no major stumbling blocks to fun play.

Ascent

Quote from: snowyy on October 05, 2011, 05:43:34 AM
Here is the new look cards:

You might try enhancing the white borders around the stat text. That should make them look quiet professional and make it easier to read at the same time. Also, I recommend enlarging the title text and the text box text just a little. Players need to be able to see them easily without glasses, because most of your players don't have perfect 20/20 vision. The title text should end up a little larger than the text box text.

Also, get rid of the black border around the outside of the card. You don't want it showing up when they're cut.

snowyy

Ok, thx alot. Not sure how to enhance the white border, im using Microsoft Word :) Any suggestions?

I will make the text bigger, and get rid of the outline.

Ascent

You did all that with MS Word? Nice.

It depends on how you entered the text. I you used a text box, go into Font... You'll be able to enhance the border there. If you're using the WordArt Gallery, then right-click the art text and choose properties. There you can adjust the border width.

snowyy

Thanks. I am using WordArt for that text. Unfortuntly because of how thin the letters are if i make the border any bigger it over shadows the black and looks pretty bad.

What i have done is change the border colour from white to a light grey. Isn't a big change but i think it makes it better.

Do you think the LF cost in the top right is too big?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ascent

Yeah. I don't think you need to bother with double digits for that unless you want to. There are ways to balance a card with single digit build.

The numbers look too dark now. To counter the imposition of the thick white border around the black text, what I do is stack it, making an art text without border and then one with a thick border underneath so that the number is never imposed upon by the border.

So you take an art text that says "Hp", duplicate it and superimpose it on the first. Then you add a thick white border to the top one and then move it to the back, without deselecting it, hold Shift and select the new top one so that both are selected and then group them. You now have a nice, professional-looking text.

snowyy

Yeah, thats a nice idea, thx. Ill leave the digits to one then, saves time, and also makes the math easier when playing. Is anyone interesting in playing it once i have finished the designs. I have the plugin, just need to update it with the cards. Then find out how to get you the plugin. :)

Ascent

I would, but I don't have free access to the Lackey server due to issues on my computer.