Attention all Magic players: New link to plugin...

Started by Bort, January 04, 2015, 10:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bort

there was a problem with the previous website that was hosting the plugin. the main website is still http://www.angelfire.com/funky/magiclackey/ but the auto-update URL has changed to

for high:
http://www.normalitycomics.com/magicplugin/high/updatelist.txt

for medium:
http://www.normalitycomics.com/magicplugin/medium/updatelist.txt

you will need to paste this new link into the plugin tab of lackey. the old "is there an update" check won't work (but it will going forward). so everyone using the magic plugin, you will need to paste the autoupdate URL into it one more time.

thanks to CrazyChucky for hosting the plugin and letting things work again, and thanks to psly4mne for updating all the card data to the oracle versions.

report errors if you see them.

fildred13

Hey just a heads up - I went through this process just now and when I updated with the new URL all of my decks disappeared.  Cardpools carried over just fine but, for some reason, all of the decks just reverted to the default ones that come with the plugin, all of mine were gone.

I recovered them using backups, but just FYI this very odd behaviour occurred.  I've never had Lackey lose a deck in all the years I've been using it, so I have to assume this new update-URL and the loss were somehow connected.

Be warned - backup your deck folder before you update, just in case.

CrazyChucky

That's odd, I wonder if it's because Lackey sees it as a new plugin since it's from a different URL? I don't know much of anything about how the plugin structure works.

Anyway, glad I can be of help with the hosting. : )

Trevor

Quote from: fildred13 on January 04, 2015, 10:58:31 PM
Hey just a heads up - I went through this process just now and when I updated with the new URL all of my decks disappeared.  Cardpools carried over just fine but, for some reason, all of the decks just reverted to the default ones that come with the plugin, all of mine were gone.

I recovered them using backups, but just FYI this very odd behaviour occurred.  I've never had Lackey lose a deck in all the years I've been using it, so I have to assume this new update-URL and the loss were somehow connected.

Be warned - backup your deck folder before you update, just in case.
It is very unlikely that a different URL would cause decks to be deleted. It seems more likely that something else happened, like you have a second installation of lackey or something else. If that were the case, this should be repeatable and other people would experience it. I haven't taken a close look at that plugin, but I don't think decks would be deleted. Decks that come with the plugin might get reverted to their default state if you had edited them, but not deleted I wouldn't think.

fildred13

All I can say is what happened to me.  I agree that it is odd behavior and seems unconnected, but I was looking at my decks and editing things one minute, I saw the new link and updated, and when I reloaded the plugin my decks were gone.

I delete the default decks whenever I update, and they always come back when i update.  This was the first time they came back and essentially "replaced" my decks, though I assume it is just that my decks disappeared and the defaults came back, so replaced is the wrong word but you get what I mean.

I can also confirm that this occurred because I have lackey on dropbox in order to sync it across my computers.  All of the decks showed as "deleted" at the same time stamp as when the default decks were shown as being created.  That says to me that, indeed, the decks folder was modified by the update of the plugin.

Again, it doesn't really make sense to me, but this definitely happened one way or another, even if it somehow wasn't related to the update of the plugin.  If it doesn't happen to anyone else, that's great news!  But it MIGHT until someone can confirm what exactly about my setup caused the issue, which seems unlikely.  So as a precaution, just making sure your deck folder is backed up right before you update seems safe, since this is such an unusual set of circumstances.

Hopefully it being in dropbox or something was the only issue, but whatever the case is, I would feel terrible if I didn't bring it up and save someone who doesn't have access to automatic backups a bunch of heartache.

Thanks for the new host and all the work everyone involved!  Can't wait for fate reforged :)

Baloden

fildred13

Quote from: Baloden on January 06, 2015, 10:28:55 AM
Decks I build in Magic plugin are not saving!

Were they saving normally before this new auto-update URL?

Define "not saving."  Are you saying that when you click the "save deck" button, nothing happens at all? 

Have you tried saving a deck with a specific name, then searching your whole computer for that name to see if any file is being created?

Baloden

They are saving now. I changed something on my PC.

Trevor

Quote from: Baloden on January 06, 2015, 11:26:08 AM
What turned out to be the problem? I get reports like this often and I'm not sure what to tell people since it doesn't seem to be a problem with lackey.

topromen

Updated my list to the new url, everything seems to work fine for me so far. Not having any deck issues.

Baloden

Quote from: Trevor on January 07, 2015, 04:31:11 PM
What turned out to be the problem? I get reports like this often and I'm not sure what to tell people since it doesn't seem to be a problem with lackey.

I have to run Lackey as Admin, or it wont save anything.

Trevor

Quote from: Baloden on January 08, 2015, 07:26:01 AM
Quote from: Trevor on January 07, 2015, 04:31:11 PM

I have to run Lackey as Admin, or it wont save anything.
I don't know what odd setting you have with your operating system, but as far as I know there is nothing I can do with Lackey to ameliorate that. I guess I could give better error messages like "unable to save deck".

fildred13

Needing admin privelges would be possible under some security settings in windows.  Since lackey isn't installed, it isn't creating the registry settings to say "I'm a safe program let me do my thing."  Im guessing that is where the problem is.  But I would take lackey as a portable exe over an installed program any day, especially since it is so easy to just run it as admin.

Baloden

Quote from: fildred13 on January 08, 2015, 11:53:03 AM
Needing admin privelges would be possible under some security settings in windows.  Since lackey isn't installed, it isn't creating the registry settings to say "I'm a safe program let me do my thing."  Im guessing that is where the problem is.  But I would take lackey as a portable exe over an installed program any day, especially since it is so easy to just run it as admin.

I don't know how to change the security settings in windows.