News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Newbie questions

Started by Crisses, January 25, 2011, 08:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crisses

I was banging my head against the TRANSFERCARD function for a single-deck game.  Don't know if I have it 100% correct, but after several hours I think I have it working.  To save others time, and to get critique from people in-the-know, I did this:

GENERALFUNCTION3:"TRANSFERCARD"   "Draw"   1   0   1 T -1 0 T

And player 1 loads the deck.  Player 2 plucks cards off Player 1's deck.  It seems to work fine.

No one pasted the code into the forums, and the tutorial isn't 100% clear -- I must have read it a dozen times trying to figure this out.  Is it correct?

I have a game (that my son and I created) running in solitaire mode.  I thought that there was some basic programming that one could have the system take care of for the players.  I have a player stat that needs to be zeroed out at the end of the turn.  If there's a way to program that in, I didn't see anything about it in the tutorials -- so I have to remember to press buttons.  Not the end of the world, but I was wondering if there was any rudimentary scripting for managing at least portions of the gameplay -- zeroing a stat at end-of-turn should be pretty common (such as land in Magic...).  If there's a way to program individual cards to have self-run features, I'd also love to hear about that.  If there's a deck/game already programmed with these features I could look under the hood to see how it works.

Anyway, so far I'm at least able to playtest the basic deck and see where some of the gameplay questions and issues come up.  Great job :)  I'm just confused, going cross-eyed from reading documentation, and I know 1st hand how tough it is to both develop and document.  If you have a bug software such as Trac set up on the website it includes a wiki for your userbase to help document the program. :)

Crisses (programmer, geek, gamer, graphic designer & mom.... LOL)

Trevor

GENERALFUNCTION3:"TRANSFERCARD"   "Draw"   1   0   1 T -1 0 T

That will transfer a card...
the source is "0   1 T", the top of the deck of the person in seat 0,
the destination is the "-1 0 T", the top of the performer's hand.

Regarding zeroing a stat automatically, remember that Lackey is intended to let you do everything you could with real cards (and dice and coins), but in a virtual way. If you were doing things in real life, you'd likely use a die to keep track of that stat, and you would set it to zero each turn. The same goes for Lackey. Even if it were an option to have lackey automate that, that is actually the sort of thing that might deceptively seem like a good idea to have, but it actually would be more trouble than its worth. It really is simple to click the "set stat to zero" button, and doing it explicitly makes sure it was an intended action.