News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Triple Triad / Tetra Master FF8/FF9

Started by doomswell, June 29, 2010, 04:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doomswell

Im wondering if anyone already made plugins for these but I also had an idea to combine them... Kinda. Mostly it's TM but every card is 4Arrowed (NESW, no corners, or 8 with all? optional rule?) and the stats add up to 15 ( 1min, 9max) for balancing issues.
Also not sure if the board should be 3x3 (3T) or 4x4 with blocks (TM). I was thinking the elements were misused in 3T and should be used Rock<Paper<Scissors style like they usually are.

Here's the rules for Tetra Master
http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/psx/ffix/tetramaster.shtml

And a pair of mock-up cards I made

Would Tetra Triad be a good name for it? Any other ideas?

moselekm

I used to love playing Triple Triad on FFVIII.  I never played IX, and I looked on the site and they don't seem to be exactly the same?

doomswell

They are somewhat similar , basically on FF8 you can attack all 4 directions, on FF9 the cards can attack/defend in various combonations of the 8 directions (depending on the arrows marked on your card, which are random) and its a bigger board with obstacles (squares you cant place a card into)
Also, instead of having random values for each direction you have attack/magic and defense stats.

What Im proposing is taking out the randomness of the arrows (by following FF8's rules instead) and balancing the strengths and weaknesses of the cards (based on the characters instead of rarity)

moselekm

Ah sounds cool, I'd definitely join to help out if I wasn't swamped myself.  But I'd play it if it were made.

Dragoon

Reminds me of the game acromage.. Or something like that...

Anyway, it sounds pretty cool. It should be better if more powerful cards can attack in only 3 directions, making them vulnerbare to back attacks.

VladShadeu

I was doing something related to Triple Triad, but I was having issues formatting it to Lackey. Essentially, it was classic triple triad factoring in movement (so it was more like a board strategy than a straightforward card game). I liked this approach because I gave it a bigger board and it had a lot more space to strategize rather than being as simple as it was. Cards also picked up new and interesting effects based around the elements system present in the original as well as some new stuff relating to the movement system. Personally, I think Triple Triad is good on 4 axes, adding a new one isn't the solution as it kind of complicates things in the straightforward manner it was written in. Keep in mind a game played across in about 2 minutes. My system made it longer by spreading the game out, whereas adding new numbers to the existing cards just condenses it further and makes things confusing. Or at least thats my two sense. Good luck to you and I hope to hear more from this project.