News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

More idiot-proofing required.

Started by Channelfurball, June 26, 2010, 10:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Channelfurball

I don't so much think my issue is a bug as a lack of idiot-proofing, but it IS getting annoying. I've been having an issue with Lackey ceasing to function and then having to re-extract a new copy and transfer all my saved files. It happens when I edit an image Lackey is using for its table background or zone background (or deleting one) then leaving that image loaded as the background for the table or zones and closing Lackey, after which I cannot reopen - this happens:

(Notice the weird, hollow window) I tend to edit my backgrounds with a great deal of frequency and if/when it inevitably slips my mind that I've edited or deleted something Lackey's using, I close and, generally, realize my mistake immediately and get to the work of creating a functional copy. Also, the first time it happened I made an exact copy of the dysfunctional LackeyCCG folder (as a back-up for all that I was about to attempt to get the other working). After I figured out I'd have to transfer all my decks and set images and avatars and what-not, I did that to the newly extracted functional copy, then attempted to delete the old dysfunctional copy. Well, everything went crazy and I ended up with the two bad folders in the trash (even though I didn't touch the other one and it had a completely different name) and the working one somehow got onto the desktop in a new, correctly named folder. When I went back to look at the folder the new copy WAS in, most of that folder's contents were gone and I found them in the one on my desktop. Everything worked fine after that, but man was that ever weird. The second time it happened I didn't make a backup folder and just extracted a new copy and deleted the other without incident. Like I said, I don't think it's a bug, but a safeguard would be immensely appreciated to ward of the consequences of my own absent-mindedness  :P

Oh, I also forgot about a suggestion. It would be nice if holding a key down would repeat that key's function (holding backspace to delete, space to add more spaces, etc.).

Cyrus

I don't mean to sound rude, but maybe you wouldn't encounter these kinds of programs if you used the "tabs" in firefox instead of having a million different windows opened, including 2 from internet explorer also. And maybe look into GIMP or another free editor so you don't have to have 3 different Paints open either. May help you keep track of everything better. I haven't seen so many open/minimized windows since... ever? Besides maybe programs crashing and opening a thousand "this isn't working" boxes. Anyways, just a thought.

Channelfurball

Hahaha, no, I always have it like that. I keep forgetting most people don't have that many windows open at once. I'm usually doing a lot of research. And I HATE the tabs system. DESPISE IT. You're right about the MS Paint alternative, though. I just don't know of any (free) good ones. I tried IrfanView (which was highly praised from what I read) and didn't like it AT ALL. I just downloaded GIMP and am trying it now. We'll see how that goes. But, to address your main point, how many windows I have open has nothing to do with this issue. I'm quite certain it's the way I said it was. Oh, and after playing around with GIMP, I have to say, the interface is a bit cumbersome (with the toolboxes covering the main image and having to move them around - I don't know yet, maybe there's a way to lock them in place and have the main window cooperate - I'll keep experimenting), but the resizing/converting bmp to jpeg results speak for themselves. I'm sold.

Just Mick

Not helping the Lackey prob, but you may find your Windows taskbar (with that many windows open) is 10x more functional if you put it on the side and make it auto-hide itself (or not if you can do without the space)

Alastair

http://www.getpaint.net/
One of the best free image editors (in my opinion) for windows.

As to the Lackey issue, it's entirely possible that there isn't some sort of safety check in place. Trevor could probably tell us better one way or the other.