News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

TCG Help

Started by Rantz, June 09, 2010, 09:40:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rantz

So I was wondering if this would be a good resource in a card game.
It would work like Suspend in MtG
for those not familiar with this its basically playing a card with x amount of counters on it and each turn you remove a counter until there is 0 and then you play the card.
For my game I call it Standby which to me doesn't really fit because it sounds like a futuristic term while my game is medieval fantasy but anyways cards would be put into play with a set amount of standby counters on it until there is 0 in which the card would be played. Of course some cards would have a cost of 0 or have an alternative cost, but for the main cost standby would be the means of payment. Having a time based cost eliminates cards dedicated to resources and allows you to set up turns where you can "go off". But on the other hand having to wait turns for your card to come into play can turn some people away from the concept. Keep in mind though I don't intend for games to finish on turn 5 or 6 and inputting this system increases the turns needed to finish off your opponent, but you aren't sitting there doing nothing while your standby cards decrease in counters, you have a default attack each turn in the form of a die so it's not like you are doing nothing while you wait for cards to come into play. Also for the most part 0-3 would be the standard cost of most cards with 4+ being your bomb cards. What do you guys think? Oh and if anyone can come up with anything better than Standby that would be nice x)

Dragoon

Well, it really depends on how well your cards interact with this resource system. If you have to wait too much, it will become boring very fast and if you have the best cards too fast it will breakt the game.

A better idea would be cards in rows. I.E. more powerful cards enter in the last row, while weaker cards enter in the first row. Only cards in row 1 can attack/defend/etc.

But if you would go on with this mechanic, call it "reserve"

Rantz

yeah i considered the possibility of strong cards being overpowered early. but i countered this with 1 card of each type (3types) being played per turn with a maximum of 3-5 slots i haven't deciding on that yet only testing will tell from that. also cards don't stay in play too long they either come into play and do something or do something over a set amount of turns. there are tactics, which come in and do something, relics which can be broken or used to do something and then units which don't attack but instead act like planeswalkers from mtg they have a set amount of counters and do something every turn until the counters are gone so with this interaction of cards added with a random attack each turn in the form of a die and a high life total, cards that are meant to be overpowered will be overpowered and will have cards that answer the overpowered cards to keep it balanced. Of course only testing will tell what is a reasonable amount of turns for standby. getting a good card early will be the luck of the draw but so is rolling a die to determine damage, a game based on luck with a side of strategy is, in my opinion, a lot of fun

oh and certain tactics can and cant be played if a certain unit is in play. 3 different type of units so not a big variety but enough that it doesn't get overwhelming with cards you can't play. which also helps the power level. since you have to wait for the unit to actually come into play before you can play the tactic, you are rewarded with extra power and less standby time.

Tokimo

Somewhat unrelated, I think you should explore paragraphs more.

Also, I think it could be an excellent system with a really interesting gameplay as you lay down responses to go off right before or as threats come into play. There's a lot more to a system than one cool mechanic but I like the start you have. : )

Cyrus

It is definitely a cool idea, and one of the suggestions I had you are already using (only allowing 1 card of each type a turn). Seems like it could fight against super powerful decks in general because there is much less of an element of surprise (which could be added back in by making 0 or 1 cost cards that reduce the standby counters on a card by 1, or making cards that add counters to your opponents standby cards to give you more time to find an answer or get your units into play first).

Now, this is strange for me because I usually like die rolling, but it seems out of place in this game's rules. Only because you could have your saving grace in your standby queue and end up losing to a couple turns of opponent's lucky rolls. Just a thought though

xchokeholdx

To introduce randomness to your game, let some cards have a random "time" on it. e.g. roll a dice for how mane turns it takes to come into play.

game name idea: Time craft?

The idea is not new, but as far as I know has never been implemented into a card game. it would be difficult to do, but o so good to have a game without the need for "mana" or resources.

Rantz

i r fell @ gramer parawhat now? ;)
Alright I'll reveal a bit more. Basically what im going for is you are a creature or what ever you want to be in three classes, Beasts, Humans, and Myths, so you are apart of one of these classes and you play tactics and recruit allies that are the same (for the most part) as your class. Of course there would be cards without types so they could be played by anyone and cards that are "hybrid" so it could be played with one or another type. With this in mind I wanted to make it so you as a being are attacking your enemy all the time which i came up with the dice roll attack mechanic.

<.< paragraph
I do intend on making cards the manipulate the time counters? standby counters? iunno what to call it yet, but yeah tricky tricks for tricksters. And I LOVE the idea of cards that roll for standyby counters! That's Epic! The only problem would be making the cards balance so that if you roll a 1 its not some overpowered card that breaks the game, even though being rewarded with luck is something I don't look down on. I suppose making powerful cards with random die rolls for counters could have "this card's standby is # + die roll" so that powerful cards can never have 1 counter. Thanks for the idea. I've got about 1/3 of the set complete for the most part so hopefully I can start testing soon and then let you guys have a go at it.

Monox D. I-Fly

Quote from: Rantz on June 09, 2010, 09:40:19 AM
for those not familiar with this its basically playing a card with x amount of counters on it and each turn you remove a counter until there is 0 and then you play the card.

Ah, I know this resource system. It is used in WarMetal Tyrant. For those who don't know, you can play it in Kongregate. I forgot what term they use, though, but it has something to do with "turn", similar to "turn cost" in Naruto CCG.