News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Dark Exodus or Rising Exodus either or

Started by BuddhaJ, June 09, 2010, 04:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuddhaJ

I been futzin around with my card game for a few months and since I found this program I really been getting my card game up and running. I used to be rather active in CCGs been playing MTG for about 10 years, judged for 3 years. Helped get fullmetal alchemist CCG active in my area and was an active player in that game til it ended and was in the playtesting group on the last two sets. Dabbled in wow, l5r, magination, both star wars games, hackslash, warlord, pokemon. Too much spare time on my hands it seems.

Anywho I felt that its time to throw my hat into the CCG ring and see what I can come up with. I am not sure whether to stick with the name Dark Exodus or Rising Exodus but before the game gets into beta testing the name will be stuck with.

The premise of the game is that there is so many people that resources are tight in a fantasy setting. There is 3 major factions that are fighting over the current resources. The Barbarians, The Aristocrats and the Mages guild, within each group there is their own petty squabbling over control of the major group. Barbarians is broken down further with the chieftain, the shamans and the chieftain's son. Aristocrats are facing down with the religious leaders, the politicians and the philosophers. Mages are split up with the white robes, black robes and the blue robes. In the alpha testing there is a leader for each sub faction.

The leaders is the main focus of the current deck. You wouldn't call your deck the mage deck when you have the chieftain as your leader. Each leader and ally have 3 different stats, Brawn, Insight and Arcane. They have their own abilities that relies on their stats or even their resources availiable.
Resources in this game is the generic term for the supplies to raise an army and take care of your team. Once you pay the cost for an ally/item/ability you only pay it once. Its assumed you can sustain taking care of them.

The main way to generate resources is through your leaders. Starting out your leaders are weak and can only sustain so much. As the game progresses your leaders get stronger and you aquire locations that further add to your pool of resources. Locations are places where you can fight the other faction (other player) and try to overcome them for the right to have that place. Though at this stage I haven't really focused on how they rotate into the game and what it takes to control them. They will have their own individual deck though not sure how many between 10-15.

Abilities is actions played anytime during the game unless the card says otherwise. They represent the same thing you'd find in other CCGs.

Equipment is the be played on leaders/allies they can be moved around once a turn during the main step to other leaders/allies. If a ally dies with equipment the equipment goes with them to the discard pile.

Game play thus far is this. It goes active player/non active player and its determined by who has the most resources at this time.
Reset all cards in play.
Play location.
Draw card for turn.
Gather resources.
Play allies.
Play abilties/equipment
Move to location/s
Fight if need be.
Lose allies if needed.
End of turn.

Still getting rules down at this point but feel free to chime in.

Dragoon

I dislike the fact of conquest over resources. If player B gets a great lead, player A can't get back anymore. This isn't fun.

No problem with leaders, stat wise, I suggest changing arcane to magic. Shamans/druids don't use arcane magic. Neither do the black robes (I guess) Brawn and insight not much problems.

I refer to read Trevor's great guide to CCG design.

BuddhaJ

I wouldn't forsee the resources as a problem. You get resources from your leader and locations under your control. If your have a large amount of resources it is because your not playing anything which will make for a short game. There will be locations that you can't fight at and there will be locations you can fight at. In the core set all the leaders at level 1 will make 5 resources a turn, 10 at level 2 and 15 at level 3. And going from level 1 to level 2 is two turns. Going from level 2 to level 3 is three turns. If leaders go beyond level 3 it would take that many turns to get to the next level. Everyone moves along at the same speed for the time being.

I would probably use either magic or energy as the caster stat. Black robes are the wizards into the demonic summoning, raising the undead and ritual sacrifices. They aren't evil just misunderstood.

BuddhaJ

This is the current layout for the game I got.

A is the name of the card.
B is the Brawn stat
C is the Insight stat
D is the Arcane/Magic/Energy stat
E is the leader's level.
F is the race/class/leader/unique box.
G is the abilities box. The 15R stands for resources. His ability below costs 3 resources to use and its not noted but it does last until the end of the turn.

Dragoon

Either get a resource symbol or type resources full out. Do leaders/allies/etc also have a life stat?

BuddhaJ

I been tinkering on a resource icon. Just trying to find a good spot to slip it in on the card. The leaders/allies don't have a life stat. When they battle its stat vs stat highest one wins. There is some rules on saving allies, one of which is that you can recover 2 at the end of turn and one of which has to be the leader. Allies can also be recovered by paying double their cost in resources. Right now the most expensive ally is 3 resources.