News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

The dreaded D word: Documentation?

Started by Just Mick, May 24, 2010, 10:58:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Mick

Is there good place to look for user interface tips? Maybe more advanced / less obvious stuff.

For example, can I pan without clicking the pan button?

Or can the playing surface viewport be maximized temporarily? Card real-estate is really at a premium :D

Trevor

Ya, I admit the documentation is quite lacking. I always prefer to code than do it. THere are some tutorial videos and I intend to make a lot more.

I guarantee you there are tons of cool things you don't know about.

To pan: alt+scroll wheel click and drag on the table.

also you can control scroll wheel click to quickzoom, which has a pan too.

Mouse over the table and the HOME key centers your table, which is the same thing the 0 button next to the pan button does.

Page up and page down tilt the table, and HOME also toggles quickly between a flat table, and your last angle that you tilted the table to.

Scroll Wheel click with no modifiers draws an X on the table. Click and drag to draw an arrow. The arrow is the same as your player color so you can see who drew what.

Scroll wheel click and drag in your hand to fan out cards.

And other ways too...

n107

Just found out about this program last night and I'm very excited about it.  Got it simply because the Doomtown CCG is available on it.  Compared with Cardtable, which I had in the past, this program has a lot of great options to use for deck building and it looks a whole lot better.

However, there's just one small problem I'm having: I can't figure out how to do anything.  Ok, that's more of a big problem and I'm slowly stumbling across things but it's becoming a hassle.  It took me until today just to figure out how to have the test deck I created show up on the solitaire game screen. 

Does anyone happen to have a list of shortcuts for doing actions with the program?  Or do I have to keep left and right clicking tabs to do everything I want (or attempt to)?  Plus if there's anything specific about the controls for Doomtown, I'd appreciate reading up on that.  It seems from the Doomtown thread in the plugin forum that it's just not possible to create a sideboard for your starting location and Dudes, so what's the recommended action there?  Draw all the cards into your hand before the game and take what you need then throw them all back into the deck and shuffle?  Ok, now I'm just getting too specific in a general thread.

In summary: any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Oh, and thanks you, Trevor, for making this program.  Just bear with me while I'm in the learning stages.

Trevor

Make sure you watch the tutorial videos at http://www.lackeyccg.com/gettingstarted.html

I hope to get around to documenting stuff one of these days. But then again, people generally don't read tutorials. I think videos are best, or ideally, mouse over info on items.

n107

The tutorial videos were very helpful.  I had watched them before and after I downloaded the program.  That all helped me with getting started, but now my problem is just *using* the program.  I wonder if maybe anyone has made an unofficial guide, perhaps for their own benefit, that could be shared with the rest of us. 

Just Mick

Quote from: Trevor on May 27, 2010, 12:34:17 AM
Ya, I admit the documentation is quite lacking. I always prefer to code than do it. THere are some tutorial videos and I intend to make a lot more.

I guarantee you there are tons of cool things you don't know about.

To pan: alt+scroll wheel click and drag on the table.

also you can control scroll wheel click to quickzoom, which has a pan too.

Mouse over the table and the HOME key centers your table, which is the same thing the 0 button next to the pan button does.

Page up and page down tilt the table, and HOME also toggles quickly between a flat table, and your last angle that you tilted the table to.

Scroll Wheel click with no modifiers draws an X on the table. Click and drag to draw an arrow. The arrow is the same as your player color so you can see who drew what.

Scroll wheel click and drag in your hand to fan out cards.

And other ways too...

Documentation can be overrated but advanced time saving tips like these should definitely be listed somewhere prominently :D

People have been giving me tips. One prob I have is I have to leave the mouse hovering over the "In response" macro during the opponents turns. I would like to know if a key can be bound to that. No one seems to know.

Also deleting a line of chat text you're about to send but decided against seemed near impossible. People I asked didn't seem to know a way, but I did on accident find out later the mouse can be used to highlight the text then you can delete it by overwriting it. Not sure if it's easy to implement, but of course all the usual ctrl+a/c/v, Shift+Home/End, etc would be the final solution.

Another problem I ran into is you can't logically select box inside the zones if they're filled up with cards. Moving 13 cards from the library to discard was a real nightmare. My opponent eventually did it for me 1 card at a time while I was fumbling trying to figure out how to do it :D

Oh and holy bugs batman, right-clicking a card in order to move it to a zone doesn't actually do anything. Something to fix in the next build -- just in case I'm the only one who ever noticed (tried to do) that!!

EDITED: Oh nvm, I had a hunch, and the right click does work. You just have to manually select the card first. A little disorienting. Kind of like I was never actually applying my notes :D