News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Any programmers out there...

Started by reelhotgames, May 12, 2010, 09:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelhotgames

Hi all - a while back Snooby created a wonderful little program for me, and a computer crash later it appears to be lost to the ages.

The goal and need is this: A program that can take 21 jpg images and place them randomly onto a predesigned "sheet" - all with specific dimensions, example - I have a folder with jpgs numbered 1-21, the program would look at a specific folder take all images within and randomly assign them a place on the sheet, which could then be saved as a tiff or jpg file for printing.

Thats the goal - the original images would be fairly large in pixel and quality, so it would need to be able to handle that, if anyone thinks they can achieve this, and would like to chat - PM me, and we can talk mopre specifics, I am willing to negotiate a payment as such for this service. LMK, and thanks!

reelhotgames

Okay - Wow! Not as complete a chump as I was 20 minutes ago. I found Snooby's program, which is perfect in so many ways for what I need - Snooby, I know you are around much less frequently than before, but if you are still around and willing to chat with me about ImageArrangerV1.3 and lend a hand to do a minor tweak LMK - otherwise I will endeavor to figure out how to make it work or re-work the program with some clever folks help, if that's alright - anyway, anyone willing to lend a hand to make some tweaks should Snooby be unable to, LMK. Thanks,

reelhotgames

Sorry to bump this - just want to give one more shot to any one who might have the talent to help should Mr. Snooby not avail himself - or desire to do so.

Have the base program for anyone who might be interested in taking a look, basically - again the program looks at a folder with 21 jpeg images, it then arranges them onto a sheet at random to save for printing, one card can be "locked" into its position.

The one issue is that the program can not handle the pixel size of the images I am producing, I can bring it down, but this is for actual printing, so I would rather it be able to handle larger images, and then output a likewise image. Also the alignment has to be pretty dead on, which I believe it currently is, but due to restraints on size I am not 100%

Anyway, anyone who might be able / willing to take a look lend a hand PM me. Thanks.

Ram

Do you know what language it was written in?

reelhotgames

English...  ::)

No, I am not positive, thus is my curse, I am smart enough to be a danger to myself and others, and not quite smart enough to do this on my own... C++? You got me with this one.

Alastair

Take a look at google's Picasa 3, it's able to create collages like you describe fairly easily. With a bit of practice you can also set pretty much any size you want.

reelhotgames

I appreciate the idea, my query before I download and go through it all is - will it randomize the images and allow to lock a single image into a specific spot? Thanks for the heads up, I am looking into it as well.

Alastair

I know it can do random arrangements of the selected images. Not certain about locking one image in place though.

reelhotgames

thanks for the heads up i am looking into it.

Ram

Well, if picasa doesn't work, I'd be interested in having a look.
I program in quite a few other languages (including some similar ones) and have been intending to pick up C++. I've even got a book on it next to me!

reelhotgames

Ram drop me a PM and I will get you the program to take a look at! Thanks for offering assistance, appreciated.

Alastair

If you don't have the source for the program, just looking at it won't do a whole lot of good.

reelhotgames

But it will show what it is I am looking to do - the  program works EXACTLY how I wanted, just doesn't give me the ability to use the quality of image that I desire. Anyway, I am thankful to all who are offering up some assistance in any way, even if none should pan out. Cheers.

Alastair

If I understand you right what you're wanting to do is take a collection of card images, arrange them into a single contact sheet for printing and then print em off and cut them. Correct? If that's your goal than as I mentioned earlier, Picasa 3 will work just fine for that. You can even set the space between images to what you want to make for easier cutting. It's a free, relatively small download so that shouldn't be a huge issue. :)