News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Harry Potter and the Wizarding World Ccg Thread

Started by Cyrus, November 15, 2009, 12:37:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrus

Well over 6 months later I revive my dead thread with an update :) I work slow, what can I say.

First off, these are made up card texts. Although cards with these names will probably be in the game, they will probably not say the stuff that they say here. Besides that, this is close to the final templates I'm going to do. A little breakdown of what each card type is follows the picture.

Action Cards can be played at any time and do the most ranged variance in effect. Think Instant and Sorcery from Magic. The number in the upper left is Cost, explained later.

Characters can move around on Locations fulfilling Quests to earn House Points (the goal of the game is to get 25 House Points), Duelling other Characters, and performing other tasks. Cost is in the same place as on Actions, and they also have Power and Skill, a measure of their abilities with magic.

Players can play Hazard cards against each other instead of or in addition to Duelling their opponent's Characters with their own Characters. Hazards have Cost, Power, and Skill just like Characters, except they are discarded at end of turn regardless of if they win the Duel.

Characters can Equip Items to improve their abilities and other effects.

The game board is made up of Locations played by each player. Locations are played in a line in the center of the board, but unlike other games, are not attached to each other. Characters can move from 1 Location to another once per turn regardless of where the Location is on the board.

Each player starts with a Quest in play, a Starting Quest, which dictates what else they start with in play. Almost all Quests will allow you to search for a new one when you have completed it. Most Quests also award House Points for completing them, making them a good way to win the game (you also gain House Points from winning Duels, however).

Spells are a lot like Actions, but do not Cost anything, instead they just require that you have a Character in play with at least the Power and Skill shown on the Spell. That Character becomes the Caster, if you have more than one Character that qualifies you get to choose the Caster.

Some rules:
Play to 25 (or so, haven't decided) House Points. House Points are not only earned by Students like in the story, however. Many things earn you House Points including doing Quests and Dueling other Wizards.
Every turn you get 20 Destiny to spend playing cards. However, immediately after this Destiny is generated, you must pay the Cost of each card you have in play (generally Characters and Items). So, the more cards you have in the play, the less cards you can play. Actions and Hazards require you to pay Destiny, but you do not have to pay for them again in subsequent turns like Characters and Items. Destiny does not overflow into the next turn, but does last through your opponent's turn. That is to say, at the beginning of your turn you first lose all your remaining Destiny, then gain 20, then pay for Characters and Items. I have yet to decide if you can choose to not pay for a Character or Item, discarding it instead to leave room for other cards.

That's the jest of the rules so far of course missing quite a bit. Tell me what you think..

This thread originally looked like this:
QuoteJust something I'm working on from time to time. Don't have any rules specifically written out yet so the text is just for show... actually so is everything! The symbols especially need some work, haha, but I think they'd stand for Power/Skill/Cost from top to bottom. All feedback welcome.

[IMG ]http://i35.tinypic.com/rh7f2s.jpg[/img]

Tokimo

Symbols need work as you mentioned.

Instead occurs twice in one sentence (remove the 2nd as a preceding instead immediately clarifies an exception to the normal flow)

The exhaust ability seems especially specific, it also doesn't seem particular Harry like.

Cyrus

Quote from: Tokimo on November 15, 2009, 01:34:43 AM
Symbols need work as you mentioned.
Yup :D

Instead occurs twice in one sentence (remove the 2nd as a preceding instead immediately clarifies an exception to the normal flow)
Oh, haha, yeah it was just typed out real quick to try and fill the box so it'd be more of an example of what a card with a bunch of text looks like... didn't mean to just add in words twice though lol

The exhaust ability seems especially specific, it also doesn't seem particular Harry like.
Yeeah, see above

I also forgot to add a "type" box and text, lol

Cyrus

annnd a slightly updated version before bed

moved the cost up to the top corner, and i think im going to call it something along the lines of "Destiny" but not have it be at all like star war's destiny number, in fact it'll be just like magic's mana. But you're using your Destiny to move the characters along... I dunno, thought it sounds fitting. Hence the book behind the number, but the graphic isn't too great.

Shrunk and moved the Power and Skill symbols. They're growing on me as temporary solutions for now.

Added a border around the image. I just don't like how different the text and everything else shows up without a nice frame to hold it all together.

Annnd some other stuff. I'ma keep working on it tomorrow, probably.

Qunify

Well, it's hard for me get past those symbols... they do need some work. ;)

Qunify

Updated version already looks better. :)

I think there is a lot of text on the card.  Are most cards going to be this busy?

Cyrus

Quote from: Qunify on November 15, 2009, 02:55:27 AM
Updated version already looks better. :)

I think there is a lot of text on the card.  Are most cards going to be this busy?

Ummm... maybe? I really don't know having not gotten the rules down quite yet. I doubt most cards will be filled to the brim like this one though. Again, this is just an example card, I made up the gametext as I wrote it with absolutely no rules set in mind.

Cyrus

ok I lied one last one... for this one, I stole some symbols from Trevor :) should have stolen them the first time I tried to use this property, but couldn't find a good high-ish res pic of that hermione markup. Alas your ccg design page had it, so I stole her symbols.

Oh and I'm just changing colors around on the frame until I find something I like. Still need a good idea for the cost icon, but now I really gotta go to bed, lol.

Tokimo

Version two is worlds better than version one. The first power symbol was very offensive, but I notice you rebuilt in in the second card, same with the cost symbol. I think the book for the costs works quit well. I think version twos symbols are the best so far, but I still feel like there's room for improvement. (I think they're close, so far the kinda remind me of OverPower symbols http://www.marveloverpower.com/home.htm).

As you're playing with card border colors: Orange for Gryffindor?

Cyrus

Quote from: Tokimo on November 15, 2009, 08:43:06 AM
Version two is worlds better than version one. The first power symbol was very offensive, but I notice you rebuilt in in the second card, same with the cost symbol. I think the book for the costs works quit well. I think version twos symbols are the best so far, but I still feel like there's room for improvement. (I think they're close, so far the kinda remind me of OverPower symbols http://www.marveloverpower.com/home.htm).

As you're playing with card border colors: Orange for Gryffindor?

Updated the symbols of version 3 last night. They're a little less "BAM" and a little more "function" lol. As much as the template is pretty much just Mtg moved around a bit, I'm starting to like it.
I might try orange, but I want to have a set color for all character cards, not just Gryffindor ones. I was playing around with putting badges on student cards, I just can't decide where they would go.

Howl

here is a card .. template you can use.. but idk if you would want to .. i thought it was cool

[attachment deleted by admin due to disk space availablility]

SugimoriDesu

I doubt he'd want to use a Magic based template for a Harry Potter based game ;D

Cyrus

Well over 6 months later I revive my dead thread with an update :) I work slow, what can I say.

First off, these are made up card texts. Although cards with these names will probably be in the game, they will probably not say the stuff that they say here. Besides that, this is close to the final templates I'm going to do. A little breakdown of what each card type is follows the picture.

Action Cards can be played at any time and do the most ranged variance in effect. Think Instant and Sorcery from Magic. The number in the upper left is Cost, explained later.

Characters can move around on Locations fulfilling Quests to earn House Points (the goal of the game is to get 25 House Points), Duelling other Characters, and performing other tasks. Cost is in the same place as on Actions, and they also have Power and Skill, a measure of their abilities with magic.

Players can play Hazard cards against each other instead of or in addition to Duelling their opponent's Characters with their own Characters. Hazards have Cost, Power, and Skill just like Characters, except they are discarded at end of turn regardless of if they win the Duel.

Characters can Equip Items to improve their abilities and other effects.

The game board is made up of Locations played by each player. Locations are played in a line in the center of the board, but unlike other games, are not attached to each other. Characters can move from 1 Location to another once per turn regardless of where the Location is on the board.

Each player starts with a Quest in play, a Starting Quest, which dictates what else they start with in play. Almost all Quests will allow you to search for a new one when you have completed it. Most Quests also award House Points for completing them, making them a good way to win the game (you also gain House Points from winning Duels, however).

Spells are a lot like Actions, but do not Cost anything, instead they just require that you have a Character in play with at least the Power and Skill shown on the Spell. That Character becomes the Caster, if you have more than one Character that qualifies you get to choose the Caster.

Some rules:
Play to 25 (or so, haven't decided) House Points. House Points are not only earned by Students like in the story, however. Many things earn you House Points including doing Quests and Dueling other Wizards.
Every turn you get 20 Destiny to spend playing cards. However, immediately after this Destiny is generated, you must pay the Cost of each card you have in play (generally Characters and Items). So, the more cards you have in the play, the less cards you can play. Actions and Hazards require you to pay Destiny, but you do not have to pay for them again in subsequent turns like Characters and Items. Destiny does not overflow into the next turn, but does last through your opponent's turn. That is to say, at the beginning of your turn you first lose all your remaining Destiny, then gain 20, then pay for Characters and Items. I have yet to decide if you can choose to not pay for a Character or Item, discarding it instead to leave room for other cards.

That's the jest of the rules so far of course missing quite a bit. Tell me what you think.. I'm also going to edit the first post to be this one instead.

reelhotgames

I think the only point of having to pay for cards in play is to have the option to NOT pay for them and discard, losing them to make room for other cards to be played - because otherwise - concevably you could reach a point whereby you could not play any more cards, and that would be no fun.

Otherwise, I think it's coming along, the templates lack a little punch - seem texturely meh... but again, coming along. Cheers.

Cyrus

Upon going through and editing rules last night I did decide to allow you to discard cards to free up space because of the exact reason you specified. I also just realized the top picture is for Items and not actions.. but they're almost the same.

Any idea on how I can make the templates better?