News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Here is the art - you do the rules.

Started by eyerouge, March 07, 2010, 07:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyerouge

Project WTactics aims to become a great open source legal community ran customizable cardgame (ccg). We already have excellent looking artwork. "All we need" is somebody to figure out a good ruleset for the game...

Is that you? Do you have the mind that's required to create a strategical yet easy to play CCG? Great! Head over to >> http://wtactics.org

Read the FAQ and everything else on there, and drop questions in here or via e-mail.

Please notice: The card is a mock-up and a work copy. It would of course look differently if you developed the rules - what text/values and how many etc you use is up to you.

What are you waiting for? Contact us already. Only way to make this happen is by doing it yourself. ;)

Ripplez

it is hard to make rules. ocne you make the rules wont you already have a big part of the game. i dont understand, are you going to be on hire

dont have it a m:tg knockoff. youv already put down stats and things, thats silly. i get a tabletop rpg feel from it. make it less like m:tg and more like l5r or agot in theme and feel, tryign to correct politics and influence things rather than beating up someone in a duel. i will give a write up of what i mean in another post. modifying this one would make it rather hard to follow

if you want could you give more examples of varying card art? like elves, whatever other races, whatever other jobs, maybe art for non-creature stuff, locations if you made those and suchlike?

eyerouge

Quoteocne you make the rules wont you already have a big part of the game.

Yes, you would. Actually, I personally would go as far as saying that the rules are the single most important aspect of a game, at least from my own viewpoint. (Then we ofc have a lot of other things surrounding them, adding all these ingredients will = "the game")

That's also exactly why I posted here - to let whoever is intersted in game development actually develop something.
i dont understand, are you going to be on hire

Nobody hires me, and I will hire nobody: It's a GPL project, eveything in it is free - the game is free.
dont have it a m:tg knockoff. youv already put down stats and things, thats silly. i get a tabletop rpg feel from it. make it less like m:tg and more like l5r or agot in theme and feel, tryign to correct politics and influence things rather than beating up someone in a duel

The picture is a mock-up and a work copy. It would of course look differently if you or somebody else developed the rules - what text and values you use is up to you. (I will add this info under the image, thanks for pointing this out).

Quotei will give a write up of what i mean in another post. modifying this one would make it rather hard to follow

As it's explained on the website you don't have to modify anything at all if you don't feel like it: It's almost even better if you write your own rules from scratch instead. However, please read the FAQ and the design goals before doing so.

Ripplez

if you want could you give more examples of varying card art? like elves, whatever other races, whatever other jobs, maybe art for non-creature stuff, locations if you made those and suchlike?

i meant modifying the post i had put, the rules and themes and stuff would come in a separate message. separate from this too

i ask about the images because iv now looked at the site and the faq and the little side part that updates with images everytime i visit a page.... i havent seen a single non-character card show up. iv also not seen anything that isnt an elf or dwarf. does artwork for them/adaptable for them exist? or are there only elven/dwarven characters available to make? because the faq also says that the cards should use all or close to all of the card art so if all the artwork is of creatures, then it might be hard to create non-creature cards out of those

eyerouge

• All card art can be downloaded from our site. That way you can actually preview it all. :)
  • All artwork is coherent and in a fantasy setting, and of creatures, and creatures only. (It still enables you to use different card types if needed...)
  • Most of the work is of different classes of humans.
  • Except for humans there are also: Dragons, lizzard-like-creatures, undead, goblins, elfs, dwarfs and others.
  • Factions/teams (if you use them) in the game will need to be of mixed species, even if some would have a majority of a certain specie. This is due to our art situation and what we have available, but it should present no problem.
  • All artwork of the creatures have transparent background.
  • Eveything that has to do with the card template can easily be changed - it's done in vector format.

My msn >> subcodes at hotmail dot com
My jabber/google talk >> eyerouge at gmail dot com

Ripplez

wow..... this is going to be very hard to not make it combat based

i prefer tlaking in a public setting. could we use the lackey shoutbox or some other public room? that way if other ppl want to join in they can

eyerouge

magekirbys

I don't mean to promote another game website but since your looking for some rules you could try out something similar to :

http://www.alteil.com/

It's just the first thing it reminded me of when i saw the cards. :-\

eyerouge

Quote from: magekirbys on March 08, 2010, 03:50:26 AM
I don't mean to promote another game website but since your looking for some rules you could try out something similar to :

http://www.alteil.com/

It's just the first thing it reminded me of when i saw the cards. :-\

You're welcome to use any other game as a base if you wish to do so. (That said, keep in mind that most digital ccg:s have heavy and automated administration that would be very tedious and crappy to perform in a physical/paper game.)  I don't know the specific rules of the game you linked to but would love seeing your work based on it. :)

sneaselx

The text/pictures/races are looking a lot like it is based off of wesnoth.
Example: This is a portrait for one of the characters...Notice the similarities.
Which came first?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ripplez

in the site he had as a link in the starting post, http://www.chaosrealm.net/wtactics/ , it says that its based on battle of wesnoth. thats what the w stands for in wtactics

eyerouge

Quote from: sneaselx on March 08, 2010, 05:52:06 AM
The text/pictures/races are looking a lot like it is based off of wesnoth.
Example: This is a portrait for one of the characters...Notice the similarities.
Which came first?

As it's described both in the Credits and FAQ-pages, we legally use graphics that were originally drawn for BfW. However, to be exact, first BfW was created, and then the first versions of the graphics it used, and just recently BfW got new great looking graphics, which we now use in WTactics.

Of pure curiosity - how is the order of what came first relevant? (Asking so I can update the FAQ in case it's a good point...)

sneaselx

Yeah, I just didn't read the website.

eyerouge

I've hired an artist as a result of a discussion in here :P Here are some sample & work copies of the new original art work for the game:  Please don't comment mechanics & wording as these are mere samples.

Developers are wanted and needed. :)

Cyrus

I'm not sure why you're getting so much crap for posting GPL art and templates and saying "hey, make a game out of this."
If one does not like the layout, they should probably just make a different game.
That being said, I like the layouts, and I like Tactics in games, and it looks like these templates wouldn't have to be edited that heavily in order to get a good game out of it.
And with THAT being said, I'm really sick right now, so trying to come up with rules right now would be really difficult, haha, but I might give it a whirl when I'm feeling better.