News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

[Feature Request]Card text box at bottom of card

Started by AuraDragon, October 15, 2013, 09:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AuraDragon

Currently when you go to the Card Appearance Preferences you can tell Lackey to always show card text over the card image viewer, I was wondering if you could add an option to place that text box at the bottom of the card - the same way most card games align the text boxes - so that people converting foreign games can have cards that are visually appealing as well as readable, rather than just one or the other?

Or maybe allow the plugin creator to decide certain columns to appear at the top or bottom of the card in the text box, like the name appears at the top and the ability at the bottom.

Thanks for reading this, Trevor, you're doing a damn fine job making this program.  :D

AuraDragon

No dice?  The reason I asked for this feature is because I'm one of those "people converting foreign games" and you basically have to play with the Text box enabled unless you have memorized all the cards (which I could probably do since I am making the plugin and working card by card).

Trevor

This is a good idea. The reason it appears at to top and goes down is because you don't know how much height will be needed, and if you start from the top, you can always keep having as much height as you need, even overlapping the stats area (when you are mouse over the card at least and its popped out). But if you started at the bottom, and worked your way up, you could run out of height, requiring you to start at Y positions. And I think inconsistent start positions would look bad.

I think the best idea would be to allow plugin makers to define where each part of the card text goes and draw each part separately, but that's more complicated than it sounds. If every card had their name in the same location, and their power in the same location, and everything else in the same location, it would be simpler, but it is usually the case that some cards have things in different positions. You may think the solution is to define different "types" of layouts, one appropriate for each kind of card template, but that's also pretty complicated. How does lackey know which layout to use? It isn't always as simple as just looking at the type of a card. I think any system I developed would necessarily be complicated and difficult for plugin makers to use.

But until I figure out a good solution, I think I will give plugin makers the option to draw the text box on the bottom and work its way up.

AuraDragon

I knew this was a feature that is largely redundant since few plugins have card images that cannot be read in english, but I couldn't help asking because my plugin doesn't have english cards.  I also know that programming little complicated things with no return is frustrating.

Sorry for asking too much.

AuraDragon

I have another idea.  Why not draw the textbox from the mouse position when it is over the card?  And as for giving plugin makers options, maybe being able to hide certain card data from the textbox (like rarity) would be a cool feature, or even being able to add line breaks in the card data.

This makes me think;  What about non-english speaking peoples?  Plugins don't really support language options, but I'm thinking they would also appreciate a more robust card textbox feature for plugins that don't or can't get native language card images.

And apologizes for the previous post, I could've at least thanked you for the in-depth explanation and the fact that you are considering my request.  So... Thank you! :)

Regards, Snoogy.

Trevor

You know that you can see a pop up text box while holding down the ~ key, right?

AuraDragon

I did not know that!  :o  It wasn't in the Key Bindings so I never knew it was possible.

I wonder what other hidden features there are!  ;D