News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Typed non-creatures

Started by MLaRF, March 30, 2013, 10:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLaRF

Hey hey hey everyone! MLaRF here to ask the totally relevant questions. So I was designing my card game and I came up with an interesting idea, which is the topic title: typed non-creatures. For instance, imagine if there was an enchantment or somethin' that had a creature type, so that it could activate the effects that involve that creature type. Like if my card game had a guy whose effect was "when you play a Fire card," then you could cast an instant or something that was Fire-type and it would still activate the effect. However, since it isn't a creature, it wouldn't activate "when you play a Fire Creature."
Here's the pros and cons as I see it:
Pro: You can categorize support cards the same way as creatures
Pro: Deckbuilding is easier because now you know what support cards work well with the creatures
Pro: It's creative, because (as far as I know,) no one's really done it before. (There are effects in MtG that focus on both creature and non-creature subtypes, like the spirit/arcane connection in kamigawa, but that's a matter of 2 different types that sometimes link, as opposed to them sharing the same type.)
Con: It can seem/be pretty stupid if you don't use it correctly.
Con: Since no one's done it, no one really knows if it'll work.
Con: Need to look out for too much focus on giving types to supports. Don't wanna take a support that shouldn't be a certain type, and poorly justify it; also don't want to make a support card just because you can fit it into a certain type.
I think I might try it (unless there's a huge problem someone points out), but it's a strange idea to think about.
Discuss.
--MLaRF

innuendo

It's exactly tribal. Not really uncharted territory here.