News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Feature Request: Automatic Deck Correction

Started by Saethori, October 22, 2012, 01:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saethori

Sometimes plugins mess up their card names. It happens, and naturally it should be fixed. Unfortunately, the greatest hurdle any plugin creator faces when deciding whether to fix a broken card name or to just leave it to fester until the end of the plugin, is how it affects their players; even the slightest typo correction in the name effectively ruins any deck that the card was once in, forcing each and every player to find out why it broke and manually fix it.

So my suggestion is a sort of 'list' file, of sorts, that a plugin creator can include in their plugin, that effectively acts as a "find-and-replace" backup option for missing cards in decks. It wouldn't need to be particularly complicated, especially since all that would be needed is a two-column tab-delimited text.

For instance:

Plugin Creator adds in the latest expansion, "Fires of Awesomeness", to the plugin he's designed.
Later, some time after the plugin has updated, he realizes the card in the plugin, "Megido Flame", is supposed to be 'Megiddo' instead.
He updates the plugin, renaming Megido to Megiddo, and also includes a line in a new text file (let's say, "replace.txt"), to tell Lackey that "Megido Flame" gets replaced with "Megiddo Flame".
Next time Average Joe Gamer loads up his favorite deck, and Lackey notices some cards are missing, but before giving an error message and loading an incomplete deck, it first checks replace.txt for each missing card and, if the card has a replacement, puts in the proper card instead of the old misspelled variant. (Optionally: It also could instantly re-save the deck.)
Plugin Creator breathes easier, knowing he's no longer at risk of people getting frustrated over their favorite card being missing, and avoiding the risk that some people might be annoyed enough to stop playing altogether.

Trevor

I think the typos should be fixed as soon as possible, and if a deck file has an erroneous card name, people should just fix the deck manually. This shouldn't be too much of a problem because all of the other cards in the will load fine, and the renamed cards will be mentioned in the log, so people should be able to see what the old name list is.

I think the process to have all of the old decks updated would be too complicated for plugin makers to do, and it's just not worth the effort.

yunari

Time spent after to correct could be insane if that card are widely use in any deck. It greatly discourage plugin maker  to fix it than let's all user deal with these problem.  For japanese which have ambiguous meaning make it difficult to correctly translate them all. It seem unable to avoid changing card name.

My suggestion is to autocorrect from database
   <superzone name="Deck">
      <card><name id="0001">Ceim Astraea</name><set>100</set></card>
In deck there have 3 data name id,card name and set. In lackey if all three value are not matched lackey will not load that card. My suggestion if only 1 of three value is not match then lackey should looking for that card with 2 value instead of not load that card.  For example if card name are missing then looking for card with card ID and set which could pick correct card in the most case.

after check all card in deck warn user that some card have been autofix and recommend user to verify there deck. Mark autocorrect card with red color the same way as missing card in card pool. Add red rectangle when view tiled should be good. after user verify and saved their deck that is done.

Trevor

I could have a file that links old spellings with new spellings, should people try to load an old card name from a deck. But the problem with that is I think it would be a major headache for plugin makers to maintain. I guess it's not a terrible idea to at least allow plugin makers to do that. I guess I'll implement this when I get some time.