Feature request: export cards from game zone into deck editor

Started by Hyphen-ated, September 24, 2012, 10:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hyphen-ated

There are some draft formats that are easy to do inside a game in lackey. They involve drawing cards from a deck, putting them in piles on the table, and taking turns choosing a pile to go into your card pool. These formats include Winston draft and Winchester draft. Here are some articles explaining in detail what the rules are, for anyone interested:
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/af59
http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ld/175

So the way I do this is I start a game with someone, I open a bunch of packs in the lackey deck editor, I save them as a "deck" without looking at the cards, then I load that "deck" in the game and we perform the draft by dragging piles we choose into our library zone. It all goes smoothly until we have to take the cards we drafted and go back to the deck editor to build our decks. Lackey doesn't provide any way to do this, so we do it manually by typing in the names of our cards into the editor. This is not convenient! It would be totally sweet if lackey could do this somehow.

I investigated whether I could implement this myself with some external script; I took a look in the savegame files and I can see there are numeric IDs showing what cards are in what zones, but I don't know the mapping from those ids to the format used in the saved pools (like this: <card><name id="201">Chronomaton</name><set>2013</set></card>) I guess I could figure it out from the plugin definition somehow, but that seems like a waste of effort if Trevor could do it much more easily.

Any chance of implementing this?

Trevor

So you want some sort of "Save Zone as Deck" sort of function?

Hyphen-ated

Well, "Save Zone as Pool" really, but decks and pools have basically the same format so it's basically the same thing.

Trevor

Tyril132

Sorry to necrobump, but I just wanted to chime in and also say that this feature would be incredibly useful for my players.

We use a 'point buy system' to buy and trade cards amongst a 'bank pool,' using Deckbox and Lackey's text export as an intermediary to get around the inability to trade cards directly. Having the ability to export a list of cards from a game zone would make drafting and trading way, way, easier.

Trevor

Well, it would take only a few hours to do this. The bigger issue is I need to just get the new lackey out there. It is very different in a lot of ways. I have not been idle for this long time since the last version. I'm getting some company (Trevsoft LLC) stuff done so I can post the new version when it also is available in the (ipad) app store.

Once the new version is out there, I plan on adding a lot of easily implemented things like this frequently.

Tyril132

Edit: Ninja'd! Didn't expect a response that quick.

No problem. As always, your continued support for Lackey is greatly appreciated. I understand you work on it in your free time, so I meant the post as less of "is it done yet?" and more of a show of support for the feature.

Hyphen-ated