Should I disable the ability to have the playmat not zoomed when cards are?

Started by Trevor, February 05, 2012, 08:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should I disable the ability to have the table playmat not zoomed when cards are?

Keep things as they are now, and allow people to NOT have a playmat zoomed with cards.
1 (14.3%)
Disable the ability and make all playmat and card zooming uniform.
4 (57.1%)
Something else (explain)
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Trevor

Regarding the Appearance Preference: "Zoom playmat with table zooming?"

Some plugins use game boards where the position of items put on them matters, like chess. For those sorts of games, people need to let the playmat zoom with the zoom done on cards. That is the only way to assert that a card is on a particular spot over the table playmat image no matter what for all players.

Some plugins just use playmats just for decoration, and they may not want their playmat zoomed along with card zooming.

The only benefit in allowing the option is to let people using plugins in the latter group to have better looking table images (under certain circumstances).
The downside of allowing the option is that when people SHOULD have playmat zooming along with card zooming, and they don't (typically because of ignorance of the option), then they can disagree with what the board looks like and things may not line up as expected.

I am now leaning towards disabling the option to disconnect playmat zooming with card zooming. It will simplify the interface and give people less to get confused about. First off, I don't think many people disable playmat zooming. And even for those people who do, the worst that would happen is they may see a playmat zoomed in why they didn't want it to be, and that (I believe) could only be an aesthetic issue.

I had made the option available before I had a Scale feature. Scale shrinks or enlarges cards while keeping the camera the same. Zooming works like a camera, where you zoom in or out on the whole table. The cards will appear to be a different size, just as they will with a Scale, but the way the accomplish that is different.

I have always kind of thought zooming in on cards on the table and having the table playmat NOT zoom looks kind of weird and unnatural; counter intuitive.

MegaMan

i prefer the card ratio to be equal to the table size when zooming

Trevor

MegaMan

i mean, i would like the cards to zoom with the playmat but at the same time, keep the table the same ratio as the cards so the background image isnt distorted, if you get what i mean

Trevor

Quote from: Yello on February 26, 2012, 02:25:37 AM
i mean, i would like the cards to zoom with the playmat but at the same time, keep the table the same ratio as the cards so the background image isnt distorted, if you get what i mean
The play mat wraps to a square table. If one person has a very wide table, or a very narrow table, they will see the playmat image somewhat warped, but that normalization is I think the best way to make sure everyone sees the same cards on the table.

MegaMan

yea thats what i mean, when i try to set  background image it is always distorted and the wrong shape and looks funny

say you want to use a background image as a playmat but you want the other payer to see it the same size and dimensions as you

or, you want you card size to match the card fields on the background image

okay basically what im saying is dont allow the cards to be zoomed independantly of the table, but also, dont allow the table to card ratio to be changed, i know the background image wasnt part of the issue, it just annoys me that i cant use my custom play mats lol

Trevor

Quote from: Yello on February 26, 2012, 05:39:35 PM
yea thats what i mean, when i try to set  background image it is always distorted and the wrong shape and looks funny

say you want to use a background image as a playmat but you want the other payer to see it the same size and dimensions as you

or, you want you card size to match the card fields on the background image

okay basically what im saying is dont allow the cards to be zoomed independantly of the table, but also, dont allow the table to card ratio to be changed, i know the background image wasnt part of the issue, it just annoys me that i cant use my custom play mats lol
Wouldn't it be more annoying to not let people freely change the size of their table window?