News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Burning Planets ~ A free wargame

Started by The Hermit King, January 09, 2019, 05:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hermit King

Hello everyone! I'm here to show you the fruit of my latest efforts: Burning Planets, a strategic tabletop war game, with a space colonization setting, where the players fight using fleets of spaceships to get control of planets and, in the end, become the final conquerors of a planetary system!

I'm an artisan and a videogame programmer, and when I started creating the rules for this game as a game design exercise, I decided that I liked a lot how it came out, I think it's a fun game and it should be given a try by the lovers of the genre. Because of this, I prepared everything as a printable set, so with a color printer and some paper you can start playing right away! And for the same reason, the game is just free, and it always will be, I just want it to be played, I don't care for earning from it.

This is the game's page: https://www.thehermitking.com/burning-planets/

I hope many of you will try it, and if you do, tell me if you enjoyed it!

The Hermit King

As I was asked from some players I added a dowloadable folder with all the game's files. Since the size was above my websites' max file size, I had to use an external hosting for it, hence the external link.

I also added some pictures to give a better idea of how the game looks without the need to look at the files.

xdarkgeox

interesting, got plans of making this into a plugin or something physical dont wanna print  :P

The Hermit King

I already prepared all the material needed to produce the game as a physical set, but I lack a vacuum chamber to cast it in resin.
Later today I will post a new blog entry on the website with a picture of the clay models, you can check it if you're interested.
I'm thinking on making a kickstarter with a low goal, just the cost of the equipment and materials that I need to start making the game as a physical set, but it's been out for just a few days, and kickstarter funding needs an estabilished community to work, so it looks a bit early.
Sice I make other crafts too (not yet posted but soon to come), I already placed in the bottom of the about page a donation link for anyone that doesn't want to buy stuff but just throw in a few bucks to help. Any money from that will be used for crafting, and first of the list is this game!

The Hermit King

I wrote the new post I was talking about, with pictures of the models for the physical set, if you or someone else is interested @xdarkgeox
https://www.thehermitking.com/developing-burning-planets-in-a-physical-game/

If interest continues to grow at this rate I will make a kickstarter campaign to fund the start of the game's production soon!

I also added a "Community" page in the main menu, where you can login/register to post comments!

EDIT: I changed the membership system, so now Community is the list of members, the login/registration is in a top bar like most forums now.

xdarkgeox

noice looks pretty sweet, i do think that the game board should have space artwork instead of being plain white tiles.

The Hermit King

Sure it should have space artwork, but it would mean using LOTS more ink when printing it, and I thought people wouldn't like that  :D
Anyway, since your suggestion I'll add another version of the tiles, with artwork but inverted colors: I mean white background and grayscale details, so it won't be too much ink consuming! Do you think this is a good enough solution?

xdarkgeox

I think that would be fine, reason why I brought up artwork was for physical version to have astethic.

The Hermit King

Well that was a planned feature for the physical game, I just didn't invest in a prototype because it's straight forward enough, I just have to order from the printing site, while the planet grid and the buildings needed to be built. Anyway I just started working on alternative tiles for people that wants cooler background and aren't troubled by the ink used!

xdarkgeox

ah nice thinking, alternative tiles gonna be so cool.

The Hermit King

Hey xdarkgeox, I posted colored and grayscale versions as I said! This link shows you the new post, where you can see the background art and some example images: https://www.thehermitking.com/upgrade-to-burning-planets-free-set/

I'll leave an example image, so people can get an idea without having to go see on my website if they don't feel like it:

xdarkgeox

The Hermit King

Since I know pretty well that most people aren't used to not find any reference of a project or a person inside Facebook, and they aren't used to follow someone outside the common social networks either, I created a Facebook page to make it easier for everyone and encourage people to follow my work, since I have a very large amount of pageviews and visits, and a lot of people showed interest in my game too asking questions and giving suggestions, but very few decided to register.
You will be able to find my page here: https://www.facebook.com/The-Hermit-King-752209955150825/

xdarkgeox

Cool i'll follow but not really active on FB tho. Mostly on discord.

The Hermit King

I thought that Discord was a messaging program, does it have some kind of social network too?
I hate facebook, I've never had an account there, and to make me like them they already locked me out of my account saying they have to verify it's me, but they have no way to do it, so I fear my account will never be enabled again! They're info leeches, but apparently everyone has an account there, and I need a simpler way to make new contacts with interested people... Spamming forums isn't really very effective considered how much time it takes!