News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Immortal: Champions of the Battle Arena

Started by Cyrus, September 25, 2015, 08:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrus

Welcome! This thread is for my current project, Immortal: Champions of the Battle Arena.

Immortal is a card game based on computer games of the popular genre MOBA. For those of you who don't know, a MOBA is a Multiplayer Online Battle Arena, such as League of Legends and DOTA 2. I haven't played many MOBAs, as I am not great at that sort of thing (lots of fast clicking and keyboard shortcuts) but I do love the premise - that there are many different heroes, each completely unique, with a set of unique skills, fighting for position on a board in order to finally push through and win the game.

In Immortal, I am trying to capture the strategical element of high-level play in those games. Top-tier teams in MOBAs always have a leader who communicates with the rest of the team, and in Immortal, you play as that leader.

Immortal features:

• Fast-paced, back and forth gameplay - simultaneous turns!
  • Limitless strategical depth - plays more like Chess or Go than MTG!
  • 10 card decks!? - not your typical card game!
  • No resource-screw - ever!

Rules:
2.0 - Current as of 5/25/16

Card Previews:
In the posts below. They will be replaced by official card previews once I have official templates and art.

Community Involvement:
If you'd like to be a part of this game's design, there are a few things I could really use help with!
Champion ideas - Every champion in the game needs to be unique, and have a set of skills that make them an asset to their team. If you enjoy coming up with fantasy characters, you could be a huge help!
Templates - This game is comprised of only 2 different card types, and both will need their own card template.
Name the game! - I'm not sold of the current title 100%, so I'm open to ideas for other names!
Playtest - Once the first round of "irl" playtesting is complete I will be making a Lackey plugin for online testing as well. Let me know if you want to be on the Immortal playtesting list!

**Please leave comments and feedback in this thread. Thanks for reading!!!**

Cyrus

ShawnReynolds

I think this is a neat idea, I would definitely play it. The rules seem nice and solid to me. I also like the sample Ashe card. I can't really think of any good advice though lol.

Cyrus

Lately I have been converting this game to not use League of Legends names, and adding some keywords for strategic depth.

Here's a little keyword preview for anyone who might pop by this thread:

Stunned - Champions cannot move while they are stunned, locking them in position for one turn, perhaps just long enough to make a big strike against them!
Response - Skills with the response keyword can be played under a specific set of instructions. Their text usually reads "play after an opponent's champion has moved to your champion's location" or something along those lines. These cards are the only way to use a skill during another player's action, and add a fun element to them game. The better you know your opponent's champions and their skills, the more prepared you will be for combat, because you won't get blindsided by unknown responses!
Quick - The anti-response, quick skills cannot be responded to - no matter what!

Thanks for checking in :)

StarcatProducts

Aloha!

I briefly looked over your rules and it reads well.
Once thing I would be careful with games that have locations is to avoid stuff that can shoot, almost every time I made a game that had locations like this ranged stuff was super broken. Glad to see that the girl there does not have a way to strike other locations.

You should explore making custom location cards, this will allow players to make "maps" for the game.

Cyrus

Quote from: StarcatProducts on May 12, 2016, 03:24:49 PM
Aloha!

I briefly looked over your rules and it reads well.
Once thing I would be careful with games that have locations is to avoid stuff that can shoot, almost every time I made a game that had locations like this ranged stuff was super broken. Glad to see that the girl there does not have a way to strike other locations.

You should explore making custom location cards, this will allow players to make "maps" for the game.

Many thanks for your response. Funny enough, I gave her a way to strike other locations, and added locations with game text. A lot of rules have changed, so I'm hoping she isn't broken. I might have to reduce her attack strength by 1 to make up for her range.

Speaking of which, I changed everything so the first post will be getting an update!
Changes include
-Removed decks (as we think of them) entirely - the game is now played only with your 5 champions, and a 5 card location deck...
-Custom Locations - As StarcatProducts mentioned, allowing players to build the map seemed like it would add a lot to the game to me. So now, in the beginning of the game, both players take turns playing locations from their 5 card location decks until there are 4 locations in play. Which leads me to...
-Smaller field. Removing one location from the field forces interaction and shakes up the "one champion at each location" feel that I was seeing in play-testing.
-Champions now have multiple skills printed on their card, making them more versatile.
-Exhaust, Fatigue, and Rally - see the rules!

Probably more changes, please see the first post!

StarcatProducts

Haha cool deal, those changes sound pretty solid.
The first card you make is always the most powerful, so be prepared to nerf it!  :o

Monox D. I-Fly

Quote from: Cyrus on May 26, 2016, 06:37:17 PM
-Removed decks (as we think of them) entirely - the game is now played only with your 5 champions, and a 5 card location deck...

So, it's more like an arcade CCG? Interesting.