News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Resource cards without 'colors'?

Started by Tokimo, November 11, 2009, 04:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tokimo

Is anyone aware of a game that uses resource cards (like lands) without having types assigned to those?

Rage doesn't use energy. FreeRealms (I should make a plugin for that), WoW, and VS all allow use of any card as energy (but also have special cards that are a little bit nicer to use as resources). Magic, BattleTech, SailorMoon, and Pok?mon have flavored energy cards.

(Holy crap I only know how to play 7 different CCGs, I need to learn some more)

Cyrus

You should read about the Star Wars resource system although I doubt its ability to be adapted to your game. Its a neat one though. You generate resources equal to the "force" of your locations in play (to generate you put the top card of your deck into a Force Pile), and then use that force to play cards by putting them on the bottom of your deck.

I think Duel Masters uses a mix of Vs and Magic's resource system, but I've never really played.

Tokimo

I'll bump the priority on learning SWs, sounds like an interesting resource system if nothing else.

Trevor

I thought Decipher's star wars force-cycling resource system was one of the clumsiest and worst of any CCG. If that CCG wasn't tied to the Star Wars IP, no one would have ever played it. And Decipher's massive failure of Wars proves that.

It was an interesting idea and a novel concept, but ultimately awful for actual use.

Cyrus

Quote from: Trevor on November 11, 2009, 04:29:27 PM
I thought Decipher's star wars force-cycling resource system was one of the clumsiest and worst of any CCG. If that CCG wasn't tied to the Star Wars IP, no one would have ever played it. And Decipher's massive failure of Wars proves that.

It was an interesting idea and a novel concept, but ultimately awful for actual use.

I know you obviously know how to play the game enough to hate the hell out of it, but saying that no one would have played it without the IP (and basing that on Wars) is just not right. Me and my dad started playing before I had even watched Star Wars (I was 9, the game actually got me interested enough to sit through the movies), and my dad has always hated the movies. So maybe we're the 1 in a million that only picked up the game and stuck with it because it was amazing, or maybe some people actually really enjoyed the game play a non-magic/ygo/pokemon/other super simple ccg couldn't provide.

Wars was just bad, plain and simple. It was not the port of Star Wars that everyone was hoping for, and it was rushed to release. If anything they dumbed it down too much. Plus a lot of their potential fan base (me included) just kept playing Star Wars instead since the cards are still out there and it already had a player base.

Really all it boils down to is this: I loved that game, it was the greatest time I had ever had, and I still remember it better than Magic which I still play. The Star Wars tournament scene also wasn't made up of the same ultra-nerd and 13 year olds (except for me on the age part at the time) like Magic still is. Regardless, until you played in the greatest 4 seasons of tournament play ever (imo) I don't feel you're qualified to say such straight-up, negative things about the game without at least leaving you're own imo somewhere in there.

Still; I don't think the resource system is really right for your game Tokimo. Even though it was the first I learned at a young age, I don't know that all kids that age would have the patience for it. Hell most kids that age still play all-mana-down Magic.

Tokimo

AHAHA... I still remember all mana down magic, that and full hand redraws. Holy crap those were the days of not knowing what I was doing. With my Wall deck. Yes, a freakin wall deck. No, I didn't have any copies of the spell that lets walls attack.

Cyrus

Quote from: Tokimo on November 11, 2009, 08:09:48 PM
AHAHA... I still remember all mana down magic, that and full hand redraws. Holy crap those were the days of not knowing what I was doing. With my Wall deck. Yes, a freakin wall deck. No, I didn't have any copies of the spell that lets walls attack.

haha, the question is, did you even know that there were cards that could let walls attack?

Tokimo

Shortly before I abandoned magic I learned about the cards that let walls attack. So no, not really. But even had I known about them and had them, the deck still would have been suck beyond all reason (walls just aren't big enough per cost to justify their price IMO).

One of the issues for me and magic at a young age was that I couldn't do anything 'cool'. My first decent* deck was a five color Tempest block sliver deck about 5 years after I had last played. The next time I played magic again was when the onslaught slivers came out. So my largest problem was cool themes were too hard to play in early magic. Had they taken the tribal themes in Fallen Empires and run with them I probably would have built a semi-reasonable deck and enjoyed myself a lot more.

*It was competitive with my high school peer's decks, it was in no way tournament qualified.

malarious

Quote from: Cyrus on November 11, 2009, 04:13:29 PM
I think Duel Masters uses a mix of Vs and Magic's resource system, but I've never really played.

You could use any card for mana in duelmasters, WoW later ripped off used this concept

xchokeholdx

Start Trek TNG: CCG had no resources, and most of the time (in the biginning at least) it boiled down to who could get RED ALERT out first. Those were great times.. Borg cubes running havoc, pesty klingons in their BOP's shooting at my entrerprise.. ahh. those were the days..

Star Trek 2nd edition had a nice 7-point system, which I acually liked a lot.

I recently started to dislike a resource system where the amount of resources grow per turn (WoW, VS, Magic).. since the game "Forces" you to:
1. Keep the resources up
2. Hit your curve to not fall behind.

I prefer a more flat resource, which lets you play each card you have in your hand.

malarious

Oh, that reminds me... there is always stable sources.

Like spending a resource that resets or adds an increment each turn. This could be things such as you start with 10 essence, at start of turn return essence to 10 or... start with 10 each turn add 5 essence.

Using solid state reset means you can never build up to something, so cost 10 is max, while resetting to 10 is easy to balance because power sets cost.

GnKoichi

I haven't played in hears, but I seem to remember Legend of the Five Rings had a colorless resource system.

Also, Babylon 5 was another game like Star Trek that had no resources, I think.... man it's been forever since I played these games.

Tokimo

In my experience resourceless systems can have problems. In Sailor Moon there's energy but it's not used for event cards at all. As a result there are a few events that are worth having in your deck and a bunch that aren't. Why use a subpar event when it doesn't even have the benefit of being cheap? (Thinking further, Rage does have resource mechanics similar to Marvel Overpower)

The idea of fixed resources per game is interesting, but it seems like it would only work if you could keep playing your full hand every turn were you to go the weenie route. And of course, in that case you'd expect recycling decks. And of course, if you have full hand redraws and recycling decks you make most of your deck permanents, drop them all into play, and then blast your opponent with repetitive applications of the same strong combo cards over and over again. Shucks. :-/

briggs

Legends of Norrath/Star Wars Galaxies tcg don't use "cards" as a resource, but instead, how many "quests" you have completed.

Ability cards have set number of tokens, quests require X amount of tokens to be complete. At the start of your turn, if you an ability that isn't tapped, you can assign it to a quest.
The first player to get equal or greater than the number of tokens required by the quest to complete it, gets it.

Both players earn 1 extra mana for each quest both players have completed. You also win by getting 4 quests complete.
You also start out with 3 mana, and every turn your mana is replenished.

It's simple, but fun.

Ripplez

VS System uses threshold as a limiter on the cards you canplay. i think it also uses payment resources but i do know that threshold comes into it, which works differently

you can also try coming up with a mechanic yourself. not to be insulting! but you might be able to find something that fits thematicly and effectivly with the game you have mapped out in your head :)