News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

LackeyCCG ideas + mockup (fake, photoshopped screenshot)

Started by zeemeerman2, April 17, 2011, 01:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

I like feedback, and ideas to improve things, but I don't want to do things that removes utility.

AdLit

I agree on the utility front, that's why I thought the slider idea may work, but if i think of anything else I'll throw it out there

AdLit

Also while browsing the net for stuff I came across another program for CCG's, OCTGN - mentioning here only for a comparison.  Lackey is WAY easier to use than the other program, OCTGN has no buttons or tabs period - everything is done via right-clicking or dragging, so not very fast or easy.  By far, lackey is the superior program and  I definitely understand the value of the buttons.  But my main point in bringing this up is that OCTGN uses fade-effects for mousing over cards (fade in/out when mousing over/away), animated card turning (i.e. the card actually turns fluidly on screen when you tap it), etc, and the system requirements are essentially just to have MS .NET framework on your computer to run.  Only reason I bring it up is that I think it's an example of how we can make lackey an upgraded visual experience without alienating people based upon system requirements.  I'm not trying to stir the pot here and I hope it's not seen that way.  Just wanted to mention that I think we can do it :)  Please don't take this as a knock against lackey as it is in no way intended to be.

Gattison

i agree that nothing should be taken away from the Lackey Interface, but I also agree it could be cleaned up a tad.

i also agree on that idea for a thread to generate a list of shortcuts for lackey.  Once the list is complete it could be included on the Tutorials page.  And then when you DL Lackey it could tell you to "make sure you read the shortcuts list to make your life easier" somewhere, maybe even provide a link.

Also, what about mouse-hover-over-activated explanations for buttons.  The Explanation would be shortcut for whatever you're looking at.  Like, the hover-over-text for the "Turn Over" buttons would read as follows: "Ctrl+click."  Is that at all possible?  I would bet that's alot of work on your part though.  I still say a simple list of shortcuts is pretty much a must though, and if that thread isn't already started, it should be soon.

Mogo

What no one is really admitting is this whole thread was based off the idea of a CCG engine tailored to MTG.  LackeyCCG is designed for CCG's, all of 'em.  Not only is it designed to play any pre-existing CCG but can be customized at a basic level (what every button does) to play new ccg's.  I stumbled upon this delightful program a few months after hatching an idea for a CCG. 

Prior to that, I had all of my information laid neatly out in a excel spreadsheet.  With no way to test my game I wrote out a few hundred notecards, modifying them was awful.  Then I looked to what I knew (The Game, Gempukku - both L5R engines) which were extremely outdated.  Converting a card game to fit into those engines was a hassle.  I then found Egg of Pan Ku (another L5R engine) - It looked extremely nice, had an XML document to keep track of cards.  The interface was simple, easy to use, and with a little ingenuity was converted to play a game it wasn't intended for.  Excited, I started some playtesting.

Within a week of starting playtesting with Egg of Pan Ku I found LackeyCCG, the hours I spent modifying XML documents turned into minutes copying excel spreadsheets into text files.  I found some tutorials to design a plugin that allowed me to add or subtract any features I wanted to the Program interface itself.  This is such a huge commodity to somebody wanting to create their own game. 

This premise alone is the basis of what drew me to LackeyCCG.  The concern for what lackey looks like or could look like is purely secondary to the function of the program.  There are other games custom tailored to specific CCG's and they look great.  They usually cost money as well and can only be used to play 1 (one) game with limited multiplayer support.  Never change for the sake of change.  If it ain't broke don't fix it!