News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Cards Games vs. Bord Games

Started by Ripplez, December 04, 2009, 09:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ripplez

id just like to make a note of something that seems to not get as much of a mention

what is the difference between a tcg and a board game?

one obvious answer is that one uses a board (board game). however most card games use a playmat, even if not physically. what is it about the board that makes it so different?

board games tend to have a very significant focus on position. tcgs have most of their options available placed in the hands and the cards that can be played from their current position, whereas board games tend to have options/outcomes based solely on their position, with no other elements present

the reason i mentioned it is cos alot of card game ideas here seem to have alot of positional elements in it and soemtimes it is easier to express this as a board game than a card game. of course, this isnt to say that its bad or even undesirable as a card game, just that maybe its better to sit back for a few seconds and think about how this game will actually look as a card game when played out. one of the nice things about card games is that, to some extent, the major limiting factor in the design of a new game is ONLY the physical space element. and even that can be turned on its head with some deviousness

i have another point but i cant think of how to express it so maybe ill add it later.

i would like to know what other ppl think of wat i just said. thanks for listening

mathman1550

In general a board game starts each player out with the same stuff as all the other players (same amt of $, starting potitions on the board, cards from a single pile, etc).

On the other hand, with TCG's players make a 'customized' deck, of which there are millions or billions of combinations that could work in that game. Each deck is unique to their playing style and to the main goal(s) of the deck.

Tokimo

Board games often rely on more luck for conflict resolution, card games tend to rely on more luck for playing resources.

Board games tend to have less possibility for combo chains from combining cards in 12 sets.

Board games tend to have a lot of complicated positions, card games tend to restrict themselves to 1-10 'regions' if there are positional elements (FreeRealms uses 5, most other commercial card games use 1).

I don't see much cross between the two, they have different elements and aspects.

reelhotgames

I think one of the main differences is a TCG tends to be more portable in the sense that for the most part you only need a deck of cards, whereas a board game generally has other "pieces" involved whether they be cards, dice, tokens etc...

Now is where I plug our game "Saturday Night Cinema" which is both a CBG (Convertible Board Game) which can be played with the board and all the accessories or as a card game with only the card portion. (No new info as of today on anything, in a holding pattern with many an issue, but confident it will work out...!)

Monox D. I-Fly

Both TV Tropes and Board Game Geek list Trading Card Games as subcategories of Board Games.