News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Need your opinion

Started by moselekm, June 28, 2010, 02:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moselekm

Thanks for the detailed responses.  I think the biggest problem was text, and I resolved it best I thought I could and those who are playing the alfa of the game agree it's 10x better looking and easier to read.  Just got started on the orks.  I am pretty much not going to change the Ork one since all the gits love the design.  And again - the 'picture/portrait' distortion is for the best.

Dragoon

Second one is defenitly better... But the art is less clear... Use the art form of card one is card two and it would be fine...

Will there be chaos?

moselekm

Thanks.  I agree.  Although, I do really prefer the television/scan lines.  I am sure I will find a satisfactory median.  XD.

I have plans to make 100 cards for each 2nd Edition Faction. [Marines/Chaos/Ork/Eldar].  But because I am not even sure how balanced the game is right now there is only Black Templar complete with a few Orks.

But I do intend on bringing in Chaos.  As they were [also] my original models.

Dragoon

On a second not, recolor the red "Fearless - Advancing" tag (What does it mean?)  I didn't saw it till I looked over the card a few times. Just remember: "The only constant is change!"

moselekm

Fearless and Advancing, and anything in that upper box are abilities the card may use constantly.  Things like 'Jumping/Warping' and 'Fleet of Foot' are listed there.  I have to keep it some other color, because if I leave it white.  It just blends in and could be hastily overlooked by both sides.  If you think another color is better than Red/easier on the eyes, I'd be happy to change it.

As for a small preview on the extended rules:
Fearless:  A unit that has no fear.  This unit or Key Character can never lose Morale due to any effects he does not bring onto himself.  Such as using a Morale to buff himself.  They are not effected by Supressing Fire or any effect that would force him from combat or to stay out of combat.  If a Key Character enters a unit with Fearless, he gains Fearless.  However, if a Key Character with Fearless joins a Unit without Fearless, he has to spend 1 Morale to give that Unit Fearless.  This is an ongoing effect.

Unlike WH40k though, a Unit doesn't do Morale Checks/Saves to not fall apart/back.  Instead Morale is gained through acts in battle and can be used to buff units till end of turn or to by-pass things like Fire-Hazards and/or Suppressing Fire.

Tokimo

I think the name bar is by far better on the first design. No contest.

I think the scan lines ruin pretty art.

I recomend grafting the top (type line and above) of the first card to the bottom (below the type line) of the 2nd card.

xchokeholdx

No matter how far you change and push it, white text on a white background is a big no-no.

white text needs to be on a black or very dark background.
black text needs to be on a white or very light background.

look at the gametext of the second card, I can not even read the letter "e". if you print this it becomes unreadable.

Force commander is mentioned twice on the card?

The upper right hand logo (cross) should be a lot smaller, unless it is a VERY important part of the game. without any rules, I guess it is not and should be made atleast 20-30% smaller.

No color. except for the pain-to-the-eyes RED and YELLOW text, there is no color in the template? why not add some brown overlaps/textures, mixed with green or metallic yellow/red?

it sure has potential, but it needs cleaning up. please continue!

Tokimo

Also, I do want to compliment you on genuinely nice looking templates. These are something that's increasing my interest instead of immediately making me dismiss this.

moselekm

Quote from: xchokeholdx on June 28, 2010, 06:35:04 AM
No matter how far you change and push it, white text on a white background is a big no-no.

white text needs to be on a black or very dark background.
black text needs to be on a white or very light background.

look at the gametext of the second card, I can not even read the letter "e". if you print this it becomes unreadable.

Force commander is mentioned twice on the card?

The upper right hand logo (cross) should be a lot smaller, unless it is a VERY important part of the game. without any rules, I guess it is not and should be made atleast 20-30% smaller.

No color. except for the pain-to-the-eyes RED and YELLOW text, there is no color in the template? why not add some brown overlaps/textures, mixed with green or metallic yellow/red?

it sure has potential, but it needs cleaning up. please continue!

Thank you.  I will probably change the text in some way.  I am currently using the font from the Warhammer 40k books, and it just isn't friendly under size 16.  I'll also probably experiment with the colors.  And the lack of color is because of the Chapter.  Every card based on faction and chapter has their own colors.  Black Templars = Black/White and sometimes, very rarely - gold.

The cross is large because on every card other than HQ [this card] has a cost number on it.

And the scan lines are there because there is no real art to use.  Since there is only maybe 4 actual art pieces available online of full-color art of the Black Templar, then I have to edit a lot of other pieces of art and even models to make them seem more genuine to the Black Templar.  The scan lines make it more difficult to tell.

But yea, there is a long way to go before I get just the card to the point where it's solid.

Dragoon

Just don't use funky fonts... While white with black outline is great on card costs, it is pure crap on the textbox. Also, move keywords with reminder to the textboxt. Newbies will hate you for not explaining keywords on cards. Also, cost number icon is hard to read. Additional morale costs should be moved to the text box or some other box, but absolutly not on the side...

moselekm

Yea, I noticed the change immediately when I edited it.

As far as the reminder text, can't do it.  This game is really just meant for me a handful of my buddies and hardcore 40k fans.  The quick ref. Book is necessary to play, since the game has deep mechanics.