News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Kingdom at War ccg thread

Started by Dragoon, June 11, 2010, 09:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

demidium

@dragoon
can you please uploaded the rules on filehost site.. because somehow my ISP wont allow me to download from your site (even if i change the DNS)

and about multiple winning conditions mentioned above, i think its good idea.
i know the downside of multiple winning condition is will make the game feels like multiplayer solitaire with every player pursuing their own goal instead of interact/conflict between each other.
but i have played another CCG called vandaria wars which have 5 winning conditions and it worked very well, it bring more tense and balance to the game.
the point is as long as you can create a system which maintain the interaction between player it is okay to have multiple winning conditions.

sorry for bad english

Kosmosis|Omegan

Let me just state that the best innovation by far here is the Supremacy system.

Not only is it a really dynamic and fresh outlook on the classic "draw" but by balancing it with a steady and const source of cardfuel in trade, you make it so that using a traditional draw system such as the one used in duelmasters wouldn't work, as you have significantly less control over your  card fuel than in game such as it. By tying it to on field statistics you force players to work against each other on multiple levels of gameplay, and by giving us a larger-than-average hand to start with , and one we keep, it really gets you in character as the general of an army without many assets. You have to WORK with cards drawn so the game becomes about multi-pronged strategy and planning based on the field ( I also like the tactics system) But seriously power has to go, it has no service in game right now than just being a stat for the sake of being a stat and it has a major redundancy with strength. I suggest replacing its Supremacy check with a Scheme check.

Dragoon

Power will be removed. It serves no purpose other than for schemes, and as schemes will be reconsidered as their position in the game (see earlier discussion), so no use for power whatever.

Dragoon

Finally finished reviving my template!

Now, time to mock up the last few rules and than reproducing the core set :D

Dragoon

After some talk and many dropped idea's, I think I found a way for faction decks. The faction card.

A faction card starts in play and isn't part of your deck. It has a single special, not so powerful, ability which can be used during the game. Also, it has a number of out-of-faction loyality.

All cards have a set number of loyality. Powerful cards and faction champions will have a very high amount or will even be unable to be used with another faction. Non-subfaction cards won't have any loyality.

When building a deck, you may add cards that don't belong to your chosen faction with a loyality no greater than your faction's allowed loyality.

Edit: 300th post! Woohoo
For example, I use a House Feryn faction card with loyality 15/45. This means I may have 15 loyality per 45 cards I have in my  deck. I build a deck with 50 cards, and thus may add 15 worth of loyality out of faction cards. Thus I can have a maxium of 15 1-loyality cards, 5 3-loyality cards, or anything in between. I may add any number of House Feryn cards (it's my faction), ignoring their loyality.

Typherion

You might be interested in checking out the Warhammer: Invasion LCG. Each card you have in play from a certain faction can reduce the cost of playing other cards of that faction by a certain amount.

I'm not completely sure how it works, but it supports multi-faction decks through alliance cards.

Cyrus

I'm using a similar faction card idea in a game of thrones/star wars ccg fan-game that I am sorta working on, but the cards have a bigger effect on play. So far in playtesting its been working out, and I really like having the out-of-faction penalty be adjustable so that "setup cards" (my faction cards) can be better in some ways but also limit deck building in certain ways. It also allows for specific setup cards to ban other specific cards from the deck in case insane card interactions are found during playtesting of future sets.

EDIT: In other words, good idea and I hope it works in your game too!

Kosmosis|Omegan

Your first instinct when coming up with issues shouldn't be adding new mechanics. KISM.

I think, given the game, it'd best to just engineer the cards to have natural synergy, they players will play what works. Like my mono white self-mill deck.

Edit your cards to reflect the flavor in game. Fort example in SoulKaiser the United Guardians are Humans who fight along side Mecha and Cyborg. SO I made the Mecha have most of the more offensive and beefy abilities while giving Humans choice effects, that way we actually see the players roleplay out the game universe in there actions.

If two characters would never team up in-universe, make it so their cards have such bad synergy that no sane man would use them together. Stuff like that. It seems now that the faction card is an an unnatural addition.

Dragoon

Quote from: Kosmosis|Omegan on July 18, 2012, 02:14:27 PM
Your first instinct when coming up with issues shouldn't be adding new mechanics. KISM.

I think, given the game, it'd best to just engineer the cards to have natural synergy, they players will play what works. Like my mono white self-mill deck.

Edit your cards to reflect the flavor in game. Fort example in SoulKaiser the United Guardians are Humans who fight along side Mecha and Cyborg. SO I made the Mecha have most of the more offensive and beefy abilities while giving Humans choice effects, that way we actually see the players roleplay out the game universe in there actions.

If two characters would never team up in-universe, make it so their cards have such bad synergy that no sane man would use them together. Stuff like that. It seems now that the faction card is an an unnatural addition.

Mono-white self-mill deck? Can white even mill?

But anyway. Your arguments hold ground. However, we are NOT dealing with sane minds here. I know somebody who had One with Nothing as his primary wincon. A card that forces you to discard your hand. As a wincon. Also, he was the same guy who played flash in turn 0 (before the opponent has lands. Gemstone cavern + Spirit guide) with a protean hulk just to fetch 6 mana worth of guys. Things like that happen. And even bad synergy won't stop players fielding two strong characters together.

In short, people will break the game. I hope this way they don't break it hard.

Kosmosis|Omegan

I was referring to your game not MTG (I dont play it) I forgot what the faction was called so I just used it's color. It was the Nordic flavored one.

Dragoon

Quote from: Kosmosis|Omegan on July 20, 2012, 12:47:00 AM
I was referring to your game not MTG (I dont play it) I forgot what the faction was called so I just used it's color. It was the Nordic flavored one.

Ah, sorry then. Still my point stands.

Wisp

I just remembered about your game, Dragoon! I was wracking my brains to think of examples of CCG templates I really liked because I knew I'd seen a really good one somewhere... and it turns out you made it! Seriously, I love the most recent template you have for this game, especially the location of the stats on the left-hand side. I'm not sure about the title in the middle though...

Kosmosis|Omegan

Its a kinda cool game. Wish it was like had a forum for fans to play and playtest and interact more.