News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

What if Mana was relative?

Started by 3XXXDDD, March 18, 2013, 08:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3XXXDDD

What if Mana was relative?

(Note ? I say Land but any mean any game with a similar resource mechanic, including but not limited to Duel Masters, Z/X etc)

Instead of Land being ?Tap this for 1 X Mana?

It would be

?Tap this for 1 X Mana for each X LAND in your mana zone.?

E.g
Turn 1 ? I tap the only Forest Land in my mana zone for 1 Green Mana

Turn 2 ? I play another Forest. I tap both forest for a total of 4 Green Mana (2 each).
I feel this could help pace your generic mana/resource systems a little bit better so they don?t become something of a snorefest which is a possibility with those sort of games. 

Turonik

the costing of abilities also comes into play. I mean you could do this and while it could work I want to point out bleach's resource system if I may. in the game there are only 3 types of energy and each guardian has  a specific number of each listed that make a combined number of 20 energy total(unless it was bount, those had 18) and those energies where in a side deck. During your turn you drew a card and had the option of picking any energy from your side deck and put it into play or draw a card THEN you got the same choice again. so you either drew 3 cards or draw a card, gain an energy and draw another, or draw and get 2 energy.

This is one of my favorite systems because of a few reasons. 1) you don't get mana screwed OR flooded and 2) you can gain card advantage if you don't need energy.  This way your hand doesn't go down fairly quickly as you build up  resources plus it keeps the game fast paced and you almost have something you can do on your turn without having to hope if you draw a resource card or feel like you wasted a draw when you draw one.

MLaRF

I say if your mana was relative like you suggest, things would snowball way too quickly. For instance, if the average card in your deck cost 5 and you had 2 active land, you would only need to play 1 land to use any 1 more average card in your deck each turn, as opposed to linear mana, which would require 3 more land cards. You could do something like turok said to balance how land cards are acquired, but using a magic-style system it would provide way too much of an advantage to anyone who even had 1 more mana than their opponent.

Kosmosis|Omegan

All it'd do is make the change quadratic instead of linear, it wouldn't change the game at all excpet for making larger numbers.

Unless you applying its linked to type, in which you'd make monociv/nation/clan/tribe/etc. decks WAY powerful.