PVP - this really ain't your brothers pokemon cards (thread 2.0)

Started by briggs, May 15, 2010, 05:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

briggs

Today we are spoiling the Cleric trees!

Fortify tree:
(4) Healing Enchant: Mana (3) > Heal 4 dmg on target.
(4) Invigorate: Mana +4 Flip this > Gain 6 mana.
(10) Focused Healing: Mana +3  Mana (1) > Your next Healing Enchant heals two targets, healing 3 dmg each instead of 4.

Healing can take place during any phase as long as it doesn't have a specific phase requirement.

Disenchant Tree:
(7) Disruption: Interrupt: Mana (6) Flip this > Flip a rune that is about to be used.
(4) Hex: Combat: Mana (3) > Reduce the stat bonuses and effect bonuses of target rune by 2 until the end of the combat.
(3) Delusion: Combat: Mana (3) > Change all targets Harmful tokens to another type of Harmful tokens until the end of the turn.
(4) Invigorate: Mana +4 Flip this > Gain 6 mana.

We wanted Clerics to have the option to either be solid heals, or heals and debuffs. You can easily swap out Focused Healing for Disruption and Delusion to be a powerful character on a 3 man team. However, Focused Healing is pretty much required for raiding.

Monday is the Berserker trees :D

Dragoon

Ah, the support class...

some questions.
- What is "Mana +4"?
- What are harmfull tokens?
- Will there be a necromancer class?

briggs

At the start of your power up phase, you gain 1 mana, plus whatever your runes give you (in this case, an additional 4 mana each power up phase).

Harmful tokens are the ones that your opponent places on you to use their effects, like fire mages use fire tokens. You could swap those out for another kind.

At this time, no necromancer class.

Dragoon

So, the fortify tree would gain 1 +4 +3 = 8 mana each turn. Thanks for clarify..

Damn, no necro.. (Goes back to play Diablo 2)

briggs

Control is a versatile stat that allows you to decide who you want to attack, rather than attacking the enemy tank.
It allows you to kill that pesky healer, or out of control damage dealer.

However, it takes a lot of control to do this. It works similarly to the way Leadership works, in fact, we came up with the idea of Control to be some sort of anti-leadership stat. But what it evolved into was an awesome stat that fits perfect with two of our Classes, Rangers and Assassins.

Essentially, Control can change the dynamics of a game, and usually does so later in the game.

Take a look at the Ranger tree of Ambush:
[8] Fatal Shot: Control +2 Combat: Flip this > Critical Hits deal an additional point of damage during this Combat.
[4] Snipe: Strength +1 Combat: Flip this > Deal 2 dmg to target enemy and 1 dmg to yourself.
[4] Abrasion: Strength +1 You are Control +1 for each point of dmg on you.
[2] Instinct: Strength +1 Each time you deal a killing blow to an enemy, gain 2 Control tokens.

You must have a greater control value than the enemy tanks leadership to be able to attack any enemy. Otherwise you will only be able to attack the enemy tank.

The tree of Focus:
[8] Fatal Shot: Control +2 Combat: Flip this > Critical Hits deal an additional point of damage during this Combat.
[4] Snipe: Strength +1 Combat: Flip this > Deal 2 dmg to target enemy and 1 dmg to yourself.
[3] Poison Tipped Arrow: Strength +3 Critical hits place a Poison token on target.    Combat: Flip this > deal 3 dmg to an enemy for each Poison token on them, then remove those tokens.
[3] Afflicting Wound: You are Strength +1 for each point of dmg on you.

Dragoon

So, the DPS classes each have some big control boosts, while tank classes each have a high leadership stat. I find this idea pretty good. However, I guess that mages (not having a control stat) are unable to casts spells far away.

briggs

Dragoon

Wait, nevermind.. It is only for combat, not for other targetting.. My bad..

Anyway, what classes are there. We got two 'support' classes (Mage & cleric), two DPS classes (Ranger & assassin), so will there be two 'tank' classes? (Berserker & ??? - Paladin maybe?)

briggs

There are 8 classes

Tanks:
Paladins (second tree is heals)
Berserker (second tree is melee)

Melee:
Assassin
Knight

Range:
Mage
Ranger

Buff/Debuff/Heals:
Cleric
Warlock

briggs

The Assassin class :D

The Assassination Tree:
[8] Assassination: Control +1 for each token on this card.
[6] Ambush: Strength +3 Flip this > Roll a D6, place X tokens on Assassination. X is the result of the dice. At the end of the next combat, remove all tokens on it.
[3] Bravado: Strength +2 Flip this > place 3 tokens on Assassination. While Bravado is ready, you are Strength +2.
[1] Circle Attack: Combat: Flip this > you are Strength +2 until the end of the combat. At the end of this combat, or remove 2 tokens from Assassination during combat to ready Circle Attack.

Assassination is the primary pvp tree, it uses Control to choose your target, and Circle Attack to finish them off.
However, be careful to not use too many tokens for Circle Attack, because if you lose too many and the enemy tank ends up with enough leadership, you automatically attack the tank instead of your target!

The Disarm Tree:
[14] Dismember: Focus +1 for each token on this card. At the start of your Power Up phase, place a token here.
[3] Bleed: At the start of each combat, you may deal 1 dmg to an enemy for each token on Dismember, at the end of that combat remove those tokens.
[1] Back-stab: Strength +2 Combat: Exhaust this > You are strength +3 for each token on Dismember until the end of the combat, then remove those tokens.

Disarm is insanely powerful for both pvp and raids. It was designed for both.
Focus is a unique-to-assassin ability that reduces the amount required to hit with dice. 1 focus is -1 on the die, so if you have 2 focus, you only need to roll a 2 or higher to hit instead of 4+!

Dragoon

Wut, so after four turns, I auto hit? (focus +4 = 0 or higher.)
"At the end of this combat, or remove 2 tokens..." < this is worded weird.
Not much combination of the two trees, what the other classes have... :(

xchokeholdx

oof, I really think you need to simplify a lot in this game, as micromanagement will rip it apart I think.

You need to have a way to keep track of:
- Mana
- Fire tokens
- Damage dealt
- What phase you are in
- What phase your opponent is in
- Control tokens
- Poison tokens

next to constantly checking your Control and Strength, adding Dice rolls and Critical rolls to the game, can result in too much checking to see what is going on, then to play the game itself.

Dunno, in practice it can be easier to see perhaps, but what I read here makes my brain spin around.

A character with a fire token, damage token and control + strength token rolling 4 dice to see if he hits another character with 2 fire tokens, 3 control tokens and 1 damage token makes for some serious calculations I think.

How do you keep track of mana for example?

briggs

It's very easy to keep track of all this stuff during a game. All the tokens look very different and are recognizable at a glance. It's no different than a large amount of icons on a card *wink at reelhotgames*.

Mana is kept track with tokens, you add and remove them as you use'em.

But ultimately, this is why it's best to play with a few friends ;)
It can get confusing, just like any game can. We utilize tokens to the extreme here, but it's also what makes the game fun.

And if you think it's confusing now, dont even think about looking at the Warlock tree :D

reelhotgames

If the tokens are supplied (which is my briefest of gathering glances) then there should be no issue. Poison tokens V Mana tokens V whatever tokens with little icons and color coordination ain't nothing and gamers love collecting doo-dads. And they LOVE icons. Icons are life. (wink)

Cyrus

Man, I pretty much hate icons AND tokens. Where do I fit into this modern gamer's world?