News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Problem players

Started by fistsofthor, April 02, 2010, 08:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fistsofthor

Just recording another incident.  First he ruined one game that was going on.  Then, I was trying to start a type 4 game or a DC-10 game.

Also, I get the idea that adding counters to 30 cards real quick may put stress on the server or at least may raise server costs.

Do the programmers of lackey see why there may be a player who is ban-worthy and that the lackey community needs it.

Alastair

I can certainly see the need for a host to be able to remove players from his/her table. I think however that ban functions from the server should remain with Trevor and those he sees fit to give that ability to.

And for the record I don't have anything to do with the Lackey code at present. I've helped Trevor out by hosting the server in the past and still help him out with forum issues when they pop up. :)

Also an update: I've brought this to Trevor's attention but his message says he is recovering from laser eye surgery so I'm not certain how soon he'll be able to look into the situation and resolve it.

netfirecat

I stand behind the passcode option, not allowing others to alter one's field. The fact he was able to boot someone without hosting it, could 'torn' have cracked into and altered his Lackey?

Alastair

Quote from: Garfield on April 07, 2010, 02:20:49 AM
I stand behind the passcode option, not allowing others to alter one's field. The fact he was able to boot someone without hosting it, could 'torn' have cracked into and altered his Lackey?

I don't believe that is likely at this point. Not even the server host has that sort of ability in the present version. More probable is that he found a bug and has been exploiting it. See my above message for an update.

fistsofthor

Quote from: Alastair on April 07, 2010, 02:14:57 AM
I can certainly see the need for a host to be able to remove players from his/her table. I think however that ban functions from the server should remain with Trevor and those he sees fit to give that ability to.

And for the record I don't have anything to do with the Lackey code at present. I've helped Trevor out by hosting the server in the past and still help him out with forum issues when they pop up. :)

Also an update: I've brought this to Trevor's attention but his message says he is recovering from laser eye surgery so I'm not certain how soon he'll be able to look into the situation and resolve it.

When I say "ban" I mean, "ban from games I am hosting."  That is what I mean by a ban function for users.

briggs

Quote from: Alastair on April 07, 2010, 02:14:57 AM

This.

And this will not be a problem once Trevor has introduced a registered user system (something he has talked about since before I started using Lackey).
Until that feature is implemented, there's not a whole lot of things one can do to prevent this.

However, I am not sure why watchers can move cards around? That shouldn't be allowed, and once your game has filled up on players, no one else should be able to sit down and play.

netfirecat

If Trevor decided to implement a id/pass for signing onto his server, he can use the id/pass from this forum. I don't know how hard it is to create a truely secure lock for LackeyCCG. Good luck, Trevor.

fistsofthor

when lackey was updated for roe, did any of these type of changes get made?

picks-at-flies

Lackey wasn't updated.  Only the magic plugin.  Just because M:tG is the most popular game here, doesn't mean it IS Lackey :p

Just Mick

You need to be really careful about heading down this direction. Much better than any kind of banning would probably be tracking the state of the game so if something weird happens it can be rolled back. IP addresses are not accurate representations of people in a large number of circumstances. I for instance use satellite internet which goes thru a terrestrial burst proxy so to like Wikipedia I look like the same person as countless people that have accounts with my ISP. And my IP address changes on a daily basis.

I would look into some kind of private/public key framework so people can identify themselves uniquely if they really want to have a secure experience. Anything less sophisticated would be ham handed at best. Encourage people to setup private servers maybe. If you setup user ids you might as well start charging for the service, because that's what it looks like.

Just Mick

I've seen some players goofing around, twiddling things they shouldn't be, mostly just imps jumping into open seats before any game was underway. Probably just immature kids doing it because they can, or frustrated people who sat down and did not find someone sitting in front of their PC just waiting for someone to sit down.

Anyway it occurred to me that if every session was recorded, there would be a mechanism for not only reporting problem people but also uploading a recording of what they actually did. It would also be a way to verify any kind of knocks a player receives from other players if you can uniquely identify them.

Another idea, instead of instituting IDs or any kind there could be a league mechanism where players are assigned IDs in the form of public/private keys by other players in order to join a group. That would be both a decentralized means of insuring people you are playing with are reputable and a way to organize tournaments and league play (etc) online.

moselekm

I don't know.  I think there should just be an ignore feature.  I have never found myself pinned against the wall from a troll.  If someone is fail-trolling me, I generally just ignore it.  However you can't do that here.  So perhaps the best way to avoid it is to simply host a game for your fellow friends.

A 'sign-up' system would be amazing, but I don't expect Lackey/Trevor to go out of his way to do that anytime soon or ever.