News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Play a card face down to zone

Started by lunisneko, April 21, 2010, 01:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lunisneko

I am writing a plugin for the Free Realms TCG. This TCG has an Inventory zone (kinda like your mana pool in magic) that you fill with either Resource cards, played face up, or if you don't have Resource cards, you play any other card face down. The other player isn't supposed to be able to know what you played face down. I have a card function called "Face Down" but when I drag that Face-downed card to the inventory zone, it plays it face up. I can then Face Down again but it's already announced what card I played. Is there a better way to do this?

Trevor

While dragging a card from your hand, hold control and it will drop face down. There are a number of ways to do the same thing without your opponent knowing.

lunisneko

I see what you're saying, and that works great for playing a card face down on the table, but I really need to play a card from my hand to an open zone called Inventory face-down. While dragging I hit CTRL and drag to the Inventory tab. It lets me know it is "flipping" but dropping said card on that tab still moves it to that zone face-up. This happens regardless of whether it was face-up or face-down when I started dragging. Sorry if I was unclear about that before!

picks-at-flies

If the zone is always face down, can't you just set it to be unrevealed to all players?  Always worth ruling out the obvious ;)

lunisneko

Well, the Inventory is normally face-up cards revealed to everyone. The opponent should be able to see cards played face-up to the Inventory, but the player should be able to play a card face-down to the Inventory as well.

picks-at-flies

Another silly question.  Can you turn a card over once it's in the inventory?

lunisneko

Yep, you can. The only issue is that, in theory, you shouldn't be able to see your opponent's face-down cards. You only have around 10 different cards to your 40-card deck, so knowing what your opponent has had to sacrifice could give you insight into what cards they do have left. If it's not possible, it's not a problem, but it's something to think about anyway.

picks-at-flies

Ok, well I've just tested this and didn't have any problems.  There's several of ways of doing it:

1) Turn the card face down in your hand using ctrl+click, then drag the card to where you want it
2) As the card is moving, press ctrl - this will flip it as you move it.
3) Do either of 1) or 2) to the table, then simply drag the card to the new zone.

Rage uses face down cards and we have no problem with (3).  To be honest, I can't see a problem with either of the other two either, but it would need confirming with another player to make sure the card title isn't seen.

The only anomaly that I can see is that you say you have a "card function" to turn the card face down.  I don't think it's necessary.