The new forum and what happened... Resume posting now.

Started by Trevor, November 08, 2009, 06:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

Ok. The forum seems to be all fixed.

Unfortunately, all posts were lost.

Alastair

If you have something very important that were in the old forums, there's a slight chance it can be recovered from the corrupt backup. Dates of the post, key words that can be searched for, etc... need to be provided (or at least as much as can be). Just saying we need 'the post about tournements' or something similiar isnt enough detail to get a recovery.

legend zero

1.1.7 had an issue with backups. It crashed on my forum too. Pretty sute it's not good anymore, and the other issue is, with the different versions, the DB's are all different, so it's past time.

Sorry, but it looks like it's time for a fresh start.

If you're going to, I suggest installing the SMF Media Gallery mod, it's a great thing to have. I would also suggest installing Ajax Chat, that's also a great feature. I'd link you, but im on iphone and it would be a bit of a pain, so sorry.

You could also set up a redirect board to go to the homepage, and such and so on. 2.0 is much more flexable. If you eve want/need mod or admin help, don't hesitate to ask. I've installed many a mod and have even worked on a few of my own.

Trevor

Quote from: Legend Zero on November 08, 2009, 08:42:38 PM
1.1.7 had an issue with backups. It crashed on my forum too. Pretty sute it's not good anymore, and the other issue is, with the different versions, the DB's are all different, so it's past time.

Sorry, but it looks like it's time for a fresh start.

If you're going to, I suggest installing the SMF Media Gallery mod, it's a great thing to have. I would also suggest installing Ajax Chat, that's also a great feature. I'd link you, but im on iphone and it would be a bit of a pain, so sorry.

You could also set up a redirect board to go to the homepage, and such and so on. 2.0 is much more flexable. If you eve want/need mod or admin help, don't hesitate to ask. I've installed many a mod and have even worked on a few of my own.
If you get a chance, please chat with me some time about setting up Ajax chat and SMF media. Let me know what medium you prefer to chat with.

Alastair

I've added the AJax chat thing. Not something I would've done personally, but Trevor wanted it. The media gallery I'am sorta of opposed to at the moment. For one thing, there's a matter of disk space to keep in mind. May not seem like much on the surface, but people start uploading pictures, cards, etc... it could fill up quick.

Trevor

Quote from: Alastair on November 08, 2009, 10:04:01 PM
I've added the AJax chat thing. Not something I would've done personally, but Trevor wanted it. The media gallery I'am sorta of opposed to at the moment. For one thing, there's a matter of disk space to keep in mind. May not seem like much on the surface, but people start uploading pictures, cards, etc... it could fill up quick.
Agreed on media gallery. I can imagine uses for it, and I will think about adding it.

The chat seems pretty cool. One annoying thing is you can only see it if you are at the main menu. Is it possible to have it always visible so you can be browsing the forums and chime in if you see something pop up?

It would be cool if it were part of the top interface that is always visible regardless of what page you are on. And people could minimize it if they weren't interested.

Alastair

Ya, you left vent before I could ask ya if you wanted it on all the boards or just the main one. :P

SugimoriDesu

Finally. It was getting tedius there for a minute. Sucks about the posts not being able to be restored, but like Legend Zero said, It is time for a fresh start.

Alastair

Ya, I'am not too happy with the loss of the posts myself. But it couldnt be helped. Trevor and I tried several things all weekend long to recover the member list and posts but it just wasnt meant to be.

legend zero

Quote from: Trevor on November 08, 2009, 10:12:00 PM
Quote from: Alastair on November 08, 2009, 10:04:01 PM
Agreed on media gallery. I can imagine uses for it, and I will think about adding it.

The chat seems pretty cool. One annoying thing is you can only see it if you are at the main menu. Is it possible to have it always visible so you can be browsing the forums and chime in if you see something pop up?

It would be cool if it were part of the top interface that is always visible regardless of what page you are on. And people could minimize it if they weren't interested.

Search for the "Global Headers and Footers" mod, it adds HTML compatable boxes at the top and bottom of the forum. In there you can put in the HTML code to load the chat ni a popup box. That's how we do it on LZ at least.

EDIT: I just saw your question on how to contact. For some reason I cannot load the chat here, so Ajax on LZ is where I'm always at. Skype as well lz-legend0922, not really on anywhere else.

Alastair

That should be fixed now. Didnt think at the time to check the default permissions on seeing/using the chat.

legend zero

Yep, it's always the last thinkg you think about that makes it work.

Trevor

One odd thing about the shout box...

It only holds 10 posts, yet there is a scroll bar. It seems like if there is a scroll bar it should allow you to scroll more. And if there isn't a scroll bar, it should only allow for posts that fit in the window.

I guess its fine though.

Alastair

I dont see any option to change that number, at least not in any place that would make sense for it to be.

legend zero

It's inthe AjAx files. I believe customajaxchat.php, there's a history variable. That sets the previous posts.

Also, many of the real Ajax features arent active unless its in its own window (like channels and whispering, etc..) There's some nice mods for it like a modmsg (Takeover the Chat Message) and such. I'll find our config file for the chat and upload it tommorow for you guys.