New version of Lackey soon to be official. Please test it!

Started by Trevor, April 21, 2013, 06:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VacantShadeGames

As of the 5/5/13 version, the filter functions in the deck editor seem to be working great.

I came across another oddity in this most recent windows version:
If the card display window (Top left corner) is larger than the image size and you have scaling turned off in preferences, when you place your mouse over the image, message log display, or deck editor library window (Lower field), the image scales.
If the card display window is smaller than the image size, and you do the above, the image pops out of the window to a scale of 1.
In either case, it also appears over message windows, such as the "change stat" or "set filter" windows.
This only occurs if the card image is not the card back image.

Trevor

Quote from: VacantShadeGames on May 05, 2013, 08:35:42 PM
As of the 5/5/13 version, the filter functions in the deck editor seem to be working great.

If the card display window (Top left corner) is larger than the image size and you have scaling turned off in preferences, when you place your mouse over the image, message log display, or deck editor library window (Lower field), the image scales.
If the card display window is smaller than the image size, and you do the above, the image pops out of the window to a scale of 1.
In either case, it also appears over message windows, such as the "change stat" or "set filter" windows.
That mouseover behaviour is intended, if I understand you correctly. This allows you to make the card viewer area small, but when you mouse over the card, you can see the card at large size. The larger card image should only appear when you mouse over the actual card, so you dont just cover up the interface with the large card at all times. That is to say, you will cover up the interface, but this should happen only when you are mousing over a card. And this doesn't happen if its just the card back image. This is the intended behavior. Do you find this behavior to be wrong?

AuraDragon

Quote from: Trevor on May 05, 2013, 07:43:32 PM
Quote from: Snoogy
Quote from: Snoogy on April 23, 2013, 10:55:13 PM
...the top of the contents inside the window was chopped off, resizing the window fixes this.
This happened again after closing Lackey, removing the plugin it last used (Magic), restarting Lackey, and then loading a different recently used plugin (War3000).

Quote from: Snoogy on April 23, 2013, 10:55:13 PM
Then I noticed that the playing field wasn't entirely visible, so I pressed the + button to expand the top popout menu (even though it was already expanded?) to fix that, and then I noticed the bottom popout menu was also already expanded even though the button was looking like it a + as well.
This also happened again, immediately after I resized the window to fix the previous bug.

My thoughts are that Lackey automatically resizes the window but doesn't update the contents of the window, like when you manually resize the window, when it does this.
These should both be fixed with the 5/5/13 version. Please confirm.
No change, still not fixed.

VacantShadeGames

Quote from: Trevor on May 05, 2013, 09:43:27 PM

That mouseover behaviour is intended, if I understand you correctly. This allows you to make the card viewer area small, but when you mouse over the card, you can see the card at large size. The larger card image should only appear when you mouse over the actual card, so you dont just cover up the interface with the large card at all times. That is to say, you will cover up the interface, but this should happen only when you are mousing over a card. And this doesn't happen if its just the card back image. This is the intended behavior. Do you find this behavior to be wrong?

I understand a little better now why this happens, and was unaware that this feature was on purpose. However, I think there may be a few errors associated with this.
My concern is that when you have scaling off in preferences, it scales up to fill the viewer, which is just sort of odd. If you notice in my post, I mentioned that this also happens when you mouse over the message log on the main game screen, which seems unusual. I've linked Screenshots 1 & 2 to demonstrate both of these effects. This isn't so much an error, just a conflict with player preferences.
With the mouse somewhere in the window: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13896483/Screenshot%201.bmp
With the mouse over the message log: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13896483/Screenshot%202.bmp

Also, when the card image pops out of the viewer or scales, it also covers messages. This would seem like a good thing, especially if you wanted to view the card while working with a message window. However, as Screenshot 3 demonstrates, it can also interfere when you are just trying to manipulate the message window.
Trying to change a stat: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13896483/Screenshot%203.bmp

Since this is a desired feature, I'm not really sure what changes should be made or not. I'd simply like to highlight these side effects in case they were not intended.
Keep up the good work on the new version!

Trevor

Quote from: VacantShadeGames on May 06, 2013, 12:28:53 AM
Quote from: Trevor on May 05, 2013, 09:43:27 PM

I understand a little better now why this happens, and was unaware that this feature was on purpose. However, I think there may be a few errors associated with this.
My concern is that when you have scaling off in preferences, it scales up to fill the viewer, which is just sort of odd. If you notice in my post, I mentioned that this also happens when you mouse over the message log on the main game screen, which seems unusual. I've linked Screenshots 1 & 2 to demonstrate both of these effects. This isn't so much an error, just a conflict with player preferences.
With the mouse somewhere in the window: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13896483/Screenshot%201.bmp
With the mouse over the message log: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13896483/Screenshot%202.bmp

Also, when the card image pops out of the viewer or scales, it also covers messages. This would seem like a good thing, especially if you wanted to view the card while working with a message window. However, as Screenshot 3 demonstrates, it can also interfere when you are just trying to manipulate the message window.
Trying to change a stat: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13896483/Screenshot%203.bmp

Since this is a desired feature, I'm not really sure what changes should be made or not. I'd simply like to highlight these side effects in case they were not intended.
Keep up the good work on the new version!
It scales up when there is empty space (even when scaling isn't selected in the preferences) because I thought it would worse for people to have a bunch of empty space if for some reason they had inconsistently sized card images. I think a large amount of empty space (where you could fill with the card's image) would be worse in most people's opinion. On the one hand, it might be nice to more fully honor player preferences. On the other hand, I think there would be far more people who (perhaps ignorant of the preferences) would think it weird to have a bunch of empty space.

I get your point about screenshot 3 and I agree with you. Again, this should only happen when the cursor is over a card (or a card's name in the log) so it should be easy to stop it from doing that (by moving your cursor), but I agree that when it covers up pop up windows that it's too weird.

VacantShadeGames

I'm glad I could be of use. Thanks for listening to my concerns.
After messing around with the interface a little more, I found a fatal error:
- Have a card image displayed in the card viewer, other than a card back image.
- Drag the bar that adjusts the size of the card viewer's width all the way to the left.
- The following error message will appear:

- The program then closes.

I hope this helps!

Trevor

Quote from: VacantShadeGames on May 07, 2013, 09:09:43 PM
I'm glad I could be of use. Thanks for listening to my concerns.
After messing around with the interface a little more, I found a fatal error:
- Have a card image displayed in the card viewer, other than a card back image.
- Drag the bar that adjusts the size of the card viewer's width all the way to the left.
- The following error message will appear:

- The program then closes.

I hope this helps!
Fixed. Will post soon.

Trevor

5/8/13, Update: Fixed the window size cropping bug (for real this time). Fixed a crash that would happen when resizing card images.

VacantShadeGames

Just noticed in the 5/8/13 version:
In War3000, the Turn/Phase window has a texture as a background (asides from the cat). If you load a different plugin, and then reload War3000, the texture does not return (though the cat does), it is simply a brown fill. Perhaps loading a plugin does not check that texture?

DrQwerty

Quote from: Trevor on May 05, 2013, 07:44:00 PM
Quote from: DrQwerty on April 27, 2013, 10:16:10 PM
New bugs:

Lackey crash:TextButtonServerPort:
1:
->Start lackey
->Press 'Server' tab
->Select all the text inside the 'Port' TextBox
->Try to enter a number/dash/dot
->????
->Crash!!
2:NVM
->Start lackey
->Press 'Server' tab
->Try to paste this:aaaaa //all fine, nothing happens
->Try to paste this:11111 //all fine
->Try to paste this:1aaaa //all fine, only the '1' is pasted
->Try to paste this:11aaa Edit: work fine: '11' is pasted
->????
->Crash!!
3:
->Start lackey
->Press 'Server' tab
->Press the BackSpace key
->Try to enter a number/dash/dot or press the the BackSpace key again
->????
-Crash!!

Edit:
The general problem is when you try to enter two 'things' in the Textbox(number/dash/dot/backspace/clipboard content).
Clipboard content:
aaaaa aaaaa aaaaa ...
1aaaa 1aaaa
11aaa 11aaa
aa1aa aa1aa
I think that backspace is considered a char:
backspace backspace
1aaaa backspace
backspace 1aaaa
This should be fixed with the 5/5/13 version. Please confirm.

Fixed

Alastair

Can't use the ~ key in the URL field for Player Profile while selecting a remote avatar, standard US keyboard. Version 5-13-13

Trevor

Quote from: Alastair on May 13, 2013, 03:44:45 AM
Can't use the ~ key in the URL field for Player Profile while selecting a remote avatar, standard US keyboard. Version 5-13-13
This should be fixed now.

I really want to push the current version to be official within a few days.

Christian Ramone

This doesn't really have anything to do with the new version.
I have the original,  and the new version.
I can't get on to the serve to play,  on either version. 
It gives me an error whenever I try.
Is there something going on with the servers right now or am I the only person this is happening to?

Let me know how I can fix this if it indeed is just an issue on my end.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Otep3210

Any chance to have the old filter setup instead of having the pop-up box?

Trevor

Quote from: Christian Ramone on May 21, 2013, 02:14:23 PM
This doesn't really have anything to do with the new version.
I have the original,  and the new version.
I can't get on to the serve to play,  on either version. 
It gives me an error whenever I try.
Is there something going on with the servers right now or am I the only person this is happening to?

Let me know how I can fix this if it indeed is just an issue on my end.
Both servers were down while I was testing something. they are both up now.