News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Attachment Lackey Suggestion

Started by r0cknes, March 26, 2013, 12:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r0cknes

I love using lackey and I have gotten a few other friends to enjoy its company as well, but the most prominent complaints are these:

1. Lack of automation leads to longer game play. This is easy because playing on a real table is not automated either, and with the added ability to save a game for later play is even more convenient. Although automation would be nice for some plugins I can understand first of all why it isn't done and secondly, why it is not completely necessary.

2. This is where my suggestion comes in. Although I know this is not completely necessary either, it would be a very nice feature. Most games use cards that are "attached" and stay with other cards until the card is discarded. Why not have a feature to digitally attach cards to other cards, so instead of dragging and highlighting each card and then moving. If you attach the cards then you can just click and move the top card carrying the other with it. There are games that require you to stack cards, and sometimes each of those cards have attachments, that can be annoying to sort out every turn. On top of that this feature would also insure that the attachment was always underneath or above depending on which you wanted on top to begin with.

Anyway, this feature would be cool. What do you think Trevor? That's right I am calling you out!  ;D

Trevor

Regarding automation, the new lackey has a lot of automation, such as a card spawning token cards or coming into play with a certain number of counters. It's up to plugin makers to use it though.

Regarding attaching cards, I have implemented things like this in the past (though I never made them public). What I have found is that it just isn't worth the added complexity to the interface. If there is a system that allows for attaching, people think they should always be using it, and if that system isn't functioning as they imagine it should in every situation that want it to, they can easily get frustrated. And this just increases the overall clutter of the interface. There are a lot of solutions that work better. If you have a pile of cards, and the order of those cards matters, you can just use a zone for that pile. But I think the best solution is just a carefully laid out series of cards on the table. If it gets a little confusing what is on top of what, then make a vertical (or horizontal) column or something like that. Remember that sometimes the best solution isn't something that most closely resembles what you would do in real life.