A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Kingdom: Path to Glory

Started by Cyrus, November 26, 2009, 02:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrus

Doh!! lol

http://www.anarchycap.com/enkoder/kptg/kptgrulesv3.doc

Let me know if you need it in other formats, and also what I can do to improve it non-aesthetically (will be adding graphics soon).

Dragoon

Read the rules.
Issues
- To start a battle, remove 1 Ke from your resources? Why is this? Usually people don't need special costs to iniate battles, heck they don't even need a reason.
- Same with movement. Why a cost for movement? Are their boots that bad?
- Keywords have to many capital letters. It's annoying to read.
- Summon keyword is strange. I tought summon units costed spell power instead of Ke.

Still reading it, so I might find more.

Cyrus

Hmm, well, I'm not hugely hung up on the cost to move and battle except that it stops too much from going on in one turn. Flavor wise I can see all sorts of reasons why it would cost to move or battle, if not just rations. But I will keep that in mind.

The capital letters thing is something I've been debating for awhile. It does look kind of annoying but might help people keep game terms separate from non-game terms in their minds. In the end this will probably be a handful of replaces done in word and in mse to make sure everything is on the same page.

At this point summon units cost both because play testing showed that they were absolutely outrageous costing only Spell Power. Now they seem a little underpowered the other way around. I might just end up toning down the strength of all of them and making it only Spell Power again, but then it runs into the problem of Dragons with less Combat rating than some humans.

Thanks for the input so far!

Dragoon

For big assed summons (dragons, you said) you can use two costs, one spellpower cost, and a normal cost. Otherwise, summoning becomes crap. Well, you have to use two cards at least, in your hand (the summon spell, and the summoned beast) both are subject to deck limit.

Cyrus

Game wise I wanted them to end up as fatties that were hard to get into play but were a serious problem for the other player if you managed it, so, I'll keep working on that in the cards.

Dragoon

I know.

Weapons are a bit complicated... "Pay X to strike" "If target has less than X skill .... check X value" And if hit, it instantly DESTROYS the target. This is annoying. This means my firggin huge dragon can be slayed by some lousy peasant.. O_o Just give them +X skill/combat/agility bonus or something like that..

Cyrus

All weapons in all card games do something simple like that, to me that is no fun. Doesn't add anything to the game really, and certainly no flavor. Plus, most cards that you will be checking value with are between a 2 and a 4, where as big creatures have higher skill values than that, so you have to put some work into being able to slay them. I changed it so that most weapons now strike for free as well. In most games, enchantments and weapons are sort of secondary to just putting in more units (because if all it does is add power, why not have another body that can move around on its own?). In this game weapons are actually a big part of combat and can swing the situation greatly in your favor, but is luck based, so you can't rely on it to heavily. And in practice the execution of a strike is actually very simple. Its basically: look at the top card of your deck, if it has value higher than the target's skill, it is hit. It still adds its power to your attack total that battle, but does not satisfy any war damage (I'm thinking of changing this to satisfying just 1 war damage, but I'm not sure).
I think the problem you're seeing with it is based on weapons usually being a sort of neglected part of a game, even magic's enchantments are just now starting to be good enough to actually include in a deck, besides certain gems of the past. In my game they are slightly more complicated, like you'd expect a unit card to be, and actually a big part of combat.
Hopefully this clears it up a bit for you.

Cyrus

I am officially looking for play testers who would like to teach the game to other new players after they have learned. My schedule is hectic and busy, so by no means am I looking for people with only a ton of free time, as long as you have sometime to devote to teaching new players (after learning yourself of course) then its fine. I'm hoping to have at least 5 others and myself in this team.

You will also be helping me finish the rulebook by attempting to play your first game with me only after reading through the rules. That way I will be able to tell what is unclear from reading it. At first I could provide starter decks so that you don't have to make decks yourself until you know the game better. Hopefully together we'll be able to get rid of any major tweaks to the rules that need to be done before going fully public.

Let me know if you're interested.