News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

What makes your favorite CCG great? Vote!!

Started by Vase, July 24, 2012, 12:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What makes your favorite CCG great?

The combat mechanics
Simplicity of design (simple rules and cards versus lots of rules, lots of playing pieces, etc.)
Lots of chance and random elements
The ability to eliminate chance with high level play (strong card combos, counting cards, etc.)
The "Fluff" (being immersed in a great story line or universe)
More cards (more scope for deck building choices, greater chance of playing against new cards and decks)
The game objectives
Other (please specify)

Vase

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and I'm delighted to make your acquaintance.  I recently discovered a burning desire to create my own CCG.  As part of my research and brainstorming process, I wonder if you all wouldn't mind participating in this quick poll.  Each person is allowed two votes.  You can change your vote if you wish.

Think of your favorite CCG, then think about why you like it more than others.

Cheers and thanks!

Trevor

I think this sort of question is misleading. It's kind of like asking what about a girl makes her pretty. Some people will rate different things as more or less important, but everything needs to good to some degree. With the pretty girl example, that would be like if she looks like a super model, but she has a tentacle sprouting out of her forehead.
Every part of a CCG should be as good as it can be, and that's the only good way of answering this sort of question.

Vase

Quote from: Trevor on July 24, 2012, 09:53:00 PM
I think this sort of question is misleading. It's kind of like asking what about a girl makes her pretty. Some people will rate different things as more or less important...

I don't quite understand how it is "misleading."  I'm not trying to deceive anyone or imply anything.  I'm only trying to understand the gamer's mind a little better.  In particular, I'm trying to understand what he or she prefers in a CCG.  Perhaps I worded the question poorly.  I've changed it now, so hopefully it is reflective of the fact that I just want people to express their opinions.

I realize that everyone will rate different things as more or less important.  That's the point of the poll: to see if there are one or two aspects of a CCG that tend to be more important to gamers in general. 

I agree that all aspects of a game need to be good for the game to be good.  However, that doesn't mean that certain aspects of a game aren't enjoyed more than others.  I appreciate your answer though.  It brings up a point of view I hadn't previously considered. 

Cheers.

Trevor

It's misleading because you ask what makes a CCG good, and then give a multiple choice where you say "pick two". I'm saying that a good CCG needs to be good in all respects.

3XXXDDD

Basically, a Poll is lackluster way of determining this when discussion would be just as better.

Vase

Quote from: 3XXXDDD on July 25, 2012, 05:24:56 AM
Basically, a Poll is lackluster way of determining this when discussion would be just as better.

Well, would you like to discuss it then?  What are the aspects you enjoy most about your favorite CCG?

3XXXDDD

In not going into much detail it should be

Simple yet not lacking depth, unique to an extent in order to set it apart, it should be attractive and rather encompassing in design. It's mechanics should make for a close game, no one should be winning by miles ahead of other players.

yudencow

Vase

Quote from: yudencow on July 25, 2012, 04:35:29 PM
A community can make a difference.

That's a great point!  I imagine that laying the groundwork for an active and passionate community requires a whole different vision than that of designing a game.   

Thanks for your input.

crapcarp

I love Magic: The Gathering most of all through its sheer volume. There are more than 10,000 cards, and a wealth of mechanics to choose from. I can make all sorts of decks and play with different ideas. If I get bored with one deck, I can simply play with another. So many ways to make a deck, so many ways to customize it, so many ways to win, so many ways to play. It's just all sorts of fun!

Vase

Quote from: crapcarp on July 25, 2012, 10:26:10 PM
I love Magic: The Gathering most of all through its sheer volume. There are more than 10,000 cards, and a wealth of mechanics to choose from. I can make all sorts of decks and play with different ideas. If I get bored with one deck, I can simply play with another. So many ways to make a deck, so many ways to customize it, so many ways to win, so many ways to play. It's just all sorts of fun!

Awesome, thanks for your response.