News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Card amount in a game

Started by yudencow, April 26, 2012, 07:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yudencow

There is another thing that worries me. My game is very similar to WOWTCG. The ratio between heroes and other cards is 1:2 and in my game is 1:33. Is that okay, or should I make more heroes?

3XXXDDD

"Other cards?"

Like, in your game for every hero you have 33 support cards as opposed to WoW which has 2 support cards per heroes.

yudencow

Sorry typo, in WOW it is 1:12 and in my game it is 1:33 between heroes and deck cards.

Again, the games have some similarities.

Should I make more heroes or remove some of the deck cards, or leave it be?

3XXXDDD

Well, you don't need to remove them. You could just keep them for support later on.

33 per hero does seem fairly excessive (30 card deck in your game?) but doesn't mean it's bad.

Would you care to show the game and some support of it here, so we know what we're actually dealing with it?

yudencow

I was misunderstood. I meant in the overall sum of cards not deck size. Well, I can't becuase the game is now cuurently enetering its 4th development cycle.

The main things about the games are:

A. All cards are creatures. This games has is own froms of insats, enchantments and spells though.
B. The resource system starts big and gives a small stream of resource energy overtime. You can get more by Commiting characters, which meand flipping them over, it costs one mana, but gives you 1 every turn.
C. All cards can be resurrected fromt he graveyard. Some effects can stop resurrection. Heroes can be ressurected too.
D. You draw 2 cards every turn.
E. You win from breakthrough damage. not from killing heroes.
F. There is a 3-copy limit, but some have 1 or unlimited.
G. There are 3 factions that cannot mix, and some neutral cards.
H. There are 9 different classes.

If anything else is necessary please ask. After knowing this, what should I do?

3XXXDDD

Actually you misunderstood me, I was asking how many cards does a player put into a deck?

yudencow

3XXXDDD

Hmm, that ratio isn't bad then, just release a different selection of Heroes per set.

yudencow

I will.
Well, how come both ratios, mine and WOW's, are acceptable?

3XXXDDD

Cause it really doesn't matter in the end. Provided decks can be played then your sorted. More cards created just give more customisation to the deck, provided their quality is at the similar level.

yudencow

Should I make multiple versions of the same hero?
Like in VS System but only for heroes. E.g. Superman, Son of Krypton; Superman, Defender of Earth; Superman, Man of Steel. They'll have the same stats, but 2 out of the 3 amilities will be changed. What do you think about this idea?

3XXXDDD

It really doesn't matter unless your game is good.

We can't help you at all unless you give us a detailed description of the game.

The fact the game is apparently so much like WoW is already starting down a bad road.

Typherion

It really feels like you are worrying about things that won't be important until much, much later.

Planning to have a game with x thousand cards is pointless if the game fails to get people playing it. Once the game is working properly, then go ahead and make more cards, otherwise it's just a waste of effort.

I have the same problem that you do - most of these questions can be answered by playtesting. There is a limit to how far you can develop a game just by thinking and writing stuff down. The sooner you can get to testing the faster you will be able to solve these problems in my opinion.

yudencow

I only used the reference of WOW because, it's a surprise. It is infact, only similar in the fact they both have heroes.

My game has a combo led by the hero, and cards around him, which are all monsters. You target the player and not the hero. The resource income is fixed. There also some mechanics unique to my game which I haven't seen anywhere else.

I know I'm worried about it now because I'll be making it either way, it makes no difference to me.

I'll do the 2nd version of the heroes has promo cards. This will work best, and it will rebalance the ratio to an acceptable one.

yudencow

New idea. One thing in the game's lore is the constant rise of madness. I want each hero to have a sane and insane versions who does that sound?