News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

EDH deckbuilding help

Started by netfirecat, April 14, 2012, 11:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

netfirecat

I could not think of any better place for this post. If i am wrong, I am sorry.

If I post a list of all of my physical cards, could i get help building a 5-color Sliver EDH deck?

Trevor

Quote from: Garfield on April 14, 2012, 11:50:51 AM
I could not think of any better place for this post. If i am wrong, I am sorry.

If I post a list of all of my physical cards, could i get help building a 5-color Sliver EDH deck?
I just made a Sliver EDH deck yesterday. Let's talk strategy.

netfirecat

I have the foil sliver precon and a good handful of the time spiral block and a few instant and sorceries from lorwyn/shadowmoor for support. I'd like an aggressive deck that has the unstoppable swarm of slivers. If you want, i can just post the cards i have cataloged so far.

Trevor

I just made a Sliver Overlord deck.

I tried to put a lot of mana in it because Sliver Overlord + lots of mana = win.

There is a ton of combos, such as Amoeboid Changeling +Sliver Overlord to steal creatures, but things start to get absurd when you use Sliver Queen and Basal Sliver combos.

There are a number of infinite combos, using Sliver Queen + Basal Thrull, and other cards for various effects.

Sliver Queen + Basal Sliver + Harmonic Sliver = infinite artifact and enchantment destruction
Sliver Queen + Basal Sliver + Dormant Sliver = infinite card draw
Sliver Queen + Basal Sliver + Mesmeric Sliver= Ininite Fatesteal
Sliver Queen + Basal Sliver + Haste sliver + Screeching Sliver = infinite milling
Sliver Queen + Basal Sliver + Haste sliver + Magma Sliver= infinite attack power
Sliver Queen + Basal Sliver + Haste sliver + Dementia Sliver = make all opponents discard their hands
Sliver Queen + Basal Sliver + Haste sliver + Psionic Sliver= infinite damage
Sliver Queen + Basal Sliver + Haste sliver + Gemhide Sliver = infinite mana
Sliver Queen + Basal Sliver + Haste sliver + Gemhide Sliver + Necrotic Sliver= infinite mana, destroy all opponents' permanents
Sliver Queen + Basal Sliver + Haste sliver + Gemhide Sliver + Victual Sliver= infinite mana, infinite life
Sliver Queen + Basal Sliver + Haste sliver + Gemhide Sliver + Sliver Overlord = infinite mana, put into play all slivers in your deck
Sliver Queen + Basal Sliver + Haste sliver + Gemhide Sliver + Sliver Overlord + Amoeboid Changeling= infinite mana, steal all creatures

Aside from slivers and mana acceleration, I also run:

Twilight's Call and Patriarch's Bidding = Late game win
Green Sun's Zenith, Eladamri's Call, Wargate = Find combo pieces
Siphon Mind = Very nice in multiplayer. Everyone discards, you draw a few cards.
Spin into Myth = Get rid of a pesky opposing commander
Lavalanche = for when another player's forces are starting to get annoying.
Taurean Mauler = He's totally a sliver... a flying, first strike, deathtouch, trample, +4/+4, double strike sliver....

netfirecat

I'm haing trouble loading the forum. Keeps saying SMF trouble...

I don't have the Sliver Queen.

Trevor

Quote from: Garfield on April 16, 2012, 08:59:33 AM
I'm haing trouble loading the forum. Keeps saying SMF trouble...

I don't have the Sliver Queen.
What slivers do you have? You pretty much want to include all of them, and possibly some changelings. Some slivers will definitely not be included, like Plague Sliver (which would kill you). Once you have all your slivers, you can start pruning out the chaff. Shadow Sliver, Poultice Sliver, Metallic Sliver, Venser's Sliver, Battering Sliver, Mindlash Sliver, and Spitting Sliver are all rather subpar.

Virulent Sliver can be a nice trick for a surprise win. That gives you a nice unexpected kill. I actually don't have a Virulent Sliver and I would really like one.

netfirecat

Out of what i have cataloged(i'm working on counting and cataloging them), these are the ones i have:
Lymph Sliver
Mesmeric Sliver
Frenzy Sliver
Homing Sliver
Synchronous Sliver
Spitting Sliver
Battering Sliver
Reflex Sliver
Pulmonic Sliver
Sidewinder Sliver
Screeching Sliver
Shadow Sliver
Basal Sliver
Mindlash Sliver
Bonesplitter Sliver
Two-headed Sliver
Dementia Sliver
Firewake Sliver
Ghostflame Sliver
Venser's Sliver
Acidic Sliver
Armor Sliver
Barbed Sliver
Brood Sliver
Clot Sliver
Crystalline Sliver
Frenzy Sliver
Fungus Sliver
Fury Sliver
Gemhide Sliver
Heart Sliver
Hibernation Sliver
Homing Sliver
Metallic Sliver
Might Sliver
Muscle Sliver
Necrotic Sliver
Quick Sliver
Sliver Overlord
Spectral Sliver
Spined Sliver
Victual Sliver
Virulent Sliver
Winged Sliver

Trevor

You mentioned homing and frenzy sliver twice. So the slivers you have are:
Quote1   Lymph Sliver
1   Mesmeric Sliver
1   Frenzy Sliver
1   Homing Sliver
1   Synchronous Sliver
1   Spitting Sliver
1   Battering Sliver
1   Reflex Sliver
1   Pulmonic Sliver
1   Sidewinder Sliver
1   Screeching Sliver
1   Shadow Sliver
1   Basal Sliver
1   Mindlash Sliver
1   Bonesplitter Sliver
1   Two-Headed Sliver
1   Dementia Sliver
1   Firewake Sliver
1   Ghostflame Sliver
1   Venser's Sliver
1   Acidic Sliver
1   Armor Sliver
1   Barbed Sliver
1   Brood Sliver
1   Clot Sliver
1   Crystalline Sliver
1   Fungus Sliver
1   Fury Sliver
1   Gemhide Sliver
1   Heart Sliver
1   Hibernation Sliver
1   Metallic Sliver
1   Might Sliver
1   Muscle Sliver
1   Necrotic Sliver
1   Quick Sliver
1   Sliver Overlord
1   Spectral Sliver
1   Spined Sliver
1   Victual Sliver
1   Virulent Sliver
1   Winged Sliver

I notice you don't have Harmonic Sliver. That should be easy to acquire and it will let you get recurring enchantment and artifact destruction with your commander. That card alone can be a real problem for many other commanders, like Uril, the miststalker.

Consider some changelings, like Amoeboid Changeling. He makes an awesome combo with your commander. If you can find one Shapesharer is also pretty good. At the very least, you can use him to kill enemy commanders (via the legendary rule), and at the best, you can always make him the best creature on the board. And you can search for him with your commander.

Taurean Mauler and Chameleon Colossus (and possibly Mirror Entity) are all around power cards. If you have them, you might want to include them. Remember that you can search for Nameless Inversion with your commander.
I would even prefer War-Spike Changeling and Changeling Titan over your 2 artifact slivers. It's not uncommon for someone to have something like Aura Shards on the board and being an artifact is strictly a liability.

There are exactly 4 mana accelerators that tap for an extra of any color mana. In descending power, they are: Coalition Relic, Darksteel Ingot, Spectral Searchlight (because it is sometimes helpful to give another player mana), and Manalith. Remember that since your commander will supply you with all the cards you need, mana is really the only thing you need.

If you don't have Patriarch's Bidding or Twilight's Call, consider Aphetto Dredging or something like Haunted Crossroads. Especially since you are fetching your best slivers first, if they die, it really can make your deck weaker if you can't get them back.

Essence Sliver is a major boon, as well as Sinew Sliver, Ward Sliver, and Shifting Sliver. Try to acquire them. Sliver Queen and Sliver Legion are, of course, awesome, but they can be really tough to acquire. My Sliver Legion is actually arriving in the mail later today. It's nice to have a card that makes your deck lethal, especially if you can sliver tutor for him before the start of your turn, and play him as a surprise kill card.

As far as playing the deck, as soon as I got out Sliver Overlord, I would probably get Crystaline Sliver and then Gemhide Sliver. After that, Pulmonic or Hibernation Sliver are nice choices just in case there is a board sweeping effect. I'd rather use either of those effects to save my commander than to increase his commander zone cost, which you may need to stay low later in the game.

netfirecat

I Found a Harmonic Sliver. I don't have Patriarch's Bidding, Twilight's call, Green Sun Zenith, Eladamri's Call, Lavalanche, Taurean Mauler, or Coalition Relic.
I started this topic because for those that have no idea how to build an EDH deck and can't figure it out how to their own, myself included.

So far i have:                                     What i found useful:
Acidic Sliver                                       Blue Sun's Zenith
Ancient Ziggurat                                 Bound // Determined
Aphetto Dredging                                Cascade Bluffs
Armor Sliver                     Chalice of Life
Barbed Sliver                    Clout of the Dominus
Basal Sliver                     Deathmark
Battering Sliver                 Demolish
Bonesplitter Sliver              Diabolic Tutor
Brood Sliver                     Disentomb
Changeling Hero                  Disperse
Changeling Titan                 Ego Erasure
Clot Sliver                          Forfend
Coat of Arms                       Fuel for the Cause
Command Tower                    Gift of the Deity
Crystalline Sliver                   Gorgon Flail
Darksteel Ingot                    Graceful Reprieve
Delay                                      Gravedigger
Dread Return                           Hallowed Burial
Dreadship Reef                    Hit // Run
Frenzy Sliver                      Jump
Fungus Sliver                     Kindle the Carnage
Fury Sliver                          Lifelink
Gemhide Sliver                     Lightning Bolt
Ghostflame Sliver                 Lurking Predators
Harmonic Sliver                   Mana Reflection
Heart Sliver                          Moonhold
Heartstone                           Morbid Plunder
Hibernation Sliver             
Homing Sliver                       Ponder
Lymph Sliver                        Psychotic Fury
Might Sliver                          Pure // Simple
Muscle Sliver                         Pyrrhic Revival
Nameless Inversion               Raise Dead
Necrotic Sliver                       Raking Canopy
Pulmonic Sliver                 
Quick Sliver                           Reroute
Reflex Sliver                           Righteousness
Reflex Sliver                           Rise from the Grave
Saltcrusted Steppe                 Scourge of the Nobilis
Screeching Sliver                    Sol Ring
Search For Tomorrow              Solemn Offering
Sliver Overlord                        Supply // Demand
Sol Ring                                  Tempest of Light
Spectral Searchlight                 Temple of the False God
Spectral Sliver                         Terrarion
Spin into Myth                         Unholy Strength
Spined Sliver                           Unmake
Spitting Sliver                          Unsummon
Synchronous Sliver                   Vapor Snag
Terramorphic Expanse              Vigor Mortis
Two-Headed Sliver                    Whispersilk Cloak
Victual Sliver                            Wings of Velis Vel
Virulent Sliver                           Angelsong
Vivid Creek                               Cryptic Gateway
Vivid Marsh                               Dawn Charm
Vivid Meadow                            Epochrisite
Winged Sliver                            Evolution Charm
                                                Heroes Remembered

Yes, There are more than 100 cards, but it can be cut down. Plus, I know it looks horribly typed, and there might be a few cards in the wrong list, but IE just is NOT cooperating with me... Any suggestions on which to use?

netfirecat

I think I finally modified the post above this one well enough... Now i'm going to step away for a few minutes before i break my computer...

Trevor

That's really hard to read being in 2 columns.

With a sliver deck, I think you want to pretty much fill it with slivers and then put in some powerful utility cards, like Diabolic Tutor (and Demonic Tutor if you have one). You list a lot of cards that are off theme and weak in a sliver deck.
Fuel for the Cause is a weak choice because a sliver deck doesn't get much from proliferate. If you want a counter spell, I suggest one with a single blue mana in the cost. A sliver deck is 5 colors and 2 of any particular color devalues the card.

I'm a big fan of the hybrid god enchants (like Scourge of the Nobilis) and I usually play them in a 2 or 3 color deck focusing on the commander, but they are quite lackluster in a sliver deck. You have only 2 or 3 creatures that can actually make full use of those cards in a sliver deck.
Gravedigger is a pretty subpar card. Aphetto Dredging or Footbottom Feast I think are better for a sliver deck.

If you have a number of changelings, you can add Nameless Inversion, Crib Swap, and Unholy Grotto to your deck. Remember that you can use the Sliver Overlord to search for them and recur them with Unholy Grotto.

You can also use domain cards, Tromp the Domains and Allied Strategies. You might want to run some ramp/color fixers like Harrow.

In your list you have cards that aren't suitable to put in a deck ever, like Jump. Moonhold is a really weak card in multiplayer, especially when you have access to all colors. You'd be much better off with something like Hallowed Burial, or something else that will have a larger effect in multiplayer.

netfirecat

1   Acidic Sliver
1   Ancient Ziggurat
1   Aphetto Dredging
1   Armor Sliver
1   Barbed Sliver
1   Basal Sliver
1   Battering sliver
1   Bonesplitter Sliver
1   Brood Sliver
1   Changeling Hero
1   Changeling Titan
1   Clot Sliver
1   Coat of arms
1   Command Tower
1   Crystalline Sliver
1   Darksteel Ingot
1   Delay
1   Diabolic Tutor
1   Discombobulate
1   Dread Return
1   Dreadship Reef
1   Frenzy Sliver
1   Fungus Sliver
1   Fury Sliver
1   Gemhide Sliver
1   Ghostflame Sliver
1   Harmonic Sliver
1   Hallowed Burials
1   Harrow
1   Heart Sliver
1   Heart Stone
1   Hibernation Sliver
1   Homing Sliver
1   Lymph Sliver
1   Might Sliver
1   Muscle Sliver
1   Nameless Inversion
1   Necrotic Sliver
1   Pulmonic Sliver
1   Quick Sliver
1   Rampant Growth
1   Reflex Sliver
1   SaltCrusted Steppe
1   Screeching Sliver
1   Search for tomorrow
1   Sliver Overlord
1   Sol Ring
1   Spectral Searchlight
1   Spin into myth
1   Spined Sliver
1   Spitting Sliver
1   Synchronous Sliver
1   Terramorphic Expanse
1   Tromp the Domains
1   Two-Headed Sliver
1   Victual Sliver
1   Virulent Sliver
1   Vivid Creek
1   Vivid Grove
1   Vivid Marsh
1   Vivid Meadow
1   Winged Sliver

That's copied directly off of Lackey, so if you want, you can make it easy by just copying it. That's near 60. What land base do you suggest?