News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Designing a TCG card layout

Started by sneaky_squirrel, June 23, 2011, 09:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sneaky_squirrel

Hi (New here), I recently got interested in designing a TCG of my own.

While I am still struggling designing the rules (I'm making some progress), I have another problem. I have no idea how to make a card layout (HP, Name, Attack, Image, the usual stuff).

I have Gimp on my computer, but zero knowledge in drawing with exact parameters (Straight borders in the edges and pretty much everywhere else) or gradients.

I am really interested in learning how to do these things and hopefully make templates for my cards (So far I have around 3 different types in mind).

Does anyone have knowledge on this or can link me to a place where I could learn from?

cap.tiny

I am interested in the same thing... been trying on my own but havent been able... didnt think about asking here

Himalayas

I'm not exactly sure of this, but I bet there is a tutorial either on gimp's website or even youtube. I use gimp as well and just tinker around with it and with time it becomes pretty easy to learn. If I ever have any specific questions on how to manipulate an image I just consult google search engine haha.

Ascent

As I mentioned in another thread, the appearance of the card is half the game.

As the Graphic Design Chairperson on the SWTCG IDC, having designed 3 card types for the game, along with designing some of my own card games (though not developed enough to be produced as yet), I'm confident in this bit of information regarding the graphic appearnce:

Rule #1: There is no rule about where to put anything on a card, except that it needs to be on the left, right or center.
Rule #2: The card must be attractive or 90% of your audience will reject it outright.
Rule #3: Use not just legible fonts, but attractive non-Roman fonts. (Usually sans-serif.)
Rule #4: The larger and more visible the window image, the better.
Rule #5: The more attractive the art, the better.
Rule #6: The card type colors should be consistent and comfortable to look at.
Rule #7: Don't over-complicate the image. Simpler is better. More complicated images may be pretty, but in the end, all they are is distracting.

Also, I won't call this a rule, because I've seen attractive square cards, but typically try to avoid all square. Try to get some curves in there. SWTCG has one of the best card designs I've ever seen. I'm not saying make yours look like it, but to look at it as a brilliant example of simplicity, attractiveness and professionalism.