News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Leagues and stuff

Started by cap.tiny, June 02, 2011, 02:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBuck

Even though people don't agree with my idea it's still on topic because cap wants to (or at least is thinking about) a building a community so even the warning list is on topic. It's just not a topic cap and others want to really deal.  Other than Bob chiming in in a trollish manner I feel everything else has been on topic.

Cap, here are the game I play:
Mtg (I'm prob not the best person to help others in this game)
VS (was my fav ccg when it was out and I still enjoy it a lot)
Shadowfist (played this all the damn time on G*engine and is prob my 2nd/3rd fav ccg)
DoomTrooper (played by a lot of modified rules but let me tell you all the main rules are so much better;this is and shadowfist are interchangeable for me)

I'd be willing to help people out with those at night (i'm a night person [EST])

cap.tiny

Good idea salmon. yes a IRC would be a good idea.
XoVer
salmonofdoubt
Banksy
TheBuck
please send me in a PM your days and times via Central time and IM servers you have (aim,yahoo,msn,etc.), so I can set a brainstorm meeting for us.

we will discuss all ideas and such for this.

If anybody else reads this feel free to PM me too with the same info

Trevor

Quote from: Bob the Builder on June 05, 2011, 04:14:48 PM
translation.. lackey is to fucking lame, and the people on it to scatter brained to get anything resembling cooperation on a common goal..
Watch your tone, Bob. This is a warning. If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't make a post.

The word you're looking for was "too" by the way.

Bob the Builder

Trevor

XoVeR

Quote from: Trevor on June 05, 2011, 08:06:33 PM
Quote from: Bob the Builder on June 05, 2011, 07:58:40 PM
Piss off ASSHOLE
Banned.

That came on all the sudden.  I never knew bob was so touchy about his CCGUniversity thing.

But cap I will send you my info through pm.

cap.tiny

he was cool til he went psyco..
alright thank you guys keep those times coming.. im sure i can schedule something

cap.tiny

ok i have TheBuck, heynow and XerVor... just waiting on the others

cap.tiny

Did Banksy fall of the earth?... BANKSY!! oh BANSKY!!! quack quack...(did any body get that reference?) well it looks like we will be using AIM as the messanger and so far 6/16/2011 thursday will be the day and we could start about 8 pm central if you want.... heynow you can log into AIM using your facebook so no new account creation needed. anybody have a problem with the date and time? we can also keep the forum going to come up with more stuff to discuss during the meeting.

Ripplez

im sorry to say but bob the builder had a point. people do not play a league game solely for rating, that system has to matter

if your playing for prizes or something, it gives impetus to be better beyond merely "because i want to". because people will just look at the rating or whatever theyre given and just shrug and ask why they should care, its just a number given and is ultimately meaningless

you have to make the games matter in SOME way. either by giving away actual prizes, new avatars, coloured fonts, unlocking some forum rank (the preceding needing trevor to agree) or have the people who participate be really competitive amongst each other. the dci rating works, even with low level games and prizes because it makes it feel like something is on the line, even the respect of your peers. are you willing to give it your all to win a league match against someone else? are you really? if not, just how seriously WILL you be taking it?

he had a point, even if he was a jerk about it.

also, i would be in if you didnt use aim. i dont feel comfortable using a private chat interface, if you could maybe find a free chat room? im pretty sure those exist - i remember one existing for lackey although it seems removed now

salmonofdoubt

Quote from: Ripplez on June 08, 2011, 04:27:07 PM
im sorry to say but bob the builder had a point. people do not play a league game solely for rating, that system has to matter

if your playing for prizes or something, it gives impetus to be better beyond merely "because i want to". because people will just look at the rating or whatever theyre given and just shrug and ask why they should care, its just a number given and is ultimately meaningless

you have to make the games matter in SOME way. either by giving away actual prizes, new avatars, coloured fonts, unlocking some forum rank (the preceding needing trevor to agree) or have the people who participate be really competitive amongst each other. the dci rating works, even with low level games and prizes because it makes it feel like something is on the line, even the respect of your peers. are you willing to give it your all to win a league match against someone else? are you really? if not, just how seriously WILL you be taking it?

he had a point, even if he was a jerk about it.

also, i would be in if you didnt use aim. i dont feel comfortable using a private chat interface, if you could maybe find a free chat room? im pretty sure those exist - i remember one existing for lackey although it seems removed now

I can't imagine anyone would play in a league game (even if prizes were involved) unless they were extremely competitive and enjoyed the process of gradually increasing their standing in comparison to their peers. Those same people will probably be serious enough to keep playing in league games even without real prizes on the line, because the core of the matter is gaining bragging rights among the community. If you're not interested in any of that, why would you bother playing in a league at all, especially when there is very little on the line? People have all kinds of different motivations, and I don't think you can speak for all of them.

Ripplez

Quote4. Provide Leagues to play in

im sorry i think i have confused this part. does this mean leagues as in just a community of people, like clans and stuff? or does it mean like a group of people with rankings for them based on their performance? i thought this was about the second. if not, sorry

cap.tiny

We can try to find a free chat room if need be, any suggestions?

It can not be said right now exactly what the leagues will bring to players, especially at first. That's why we are having these discussions. When finally get everything worked out and set in motion, which might take a while of careful planning, who knows what the leagues can offer? When we get the site(s) up and maybe some ad support, to help with the prizes, we can see what we can do. It may be a entry fee type thing, or completely ad supported, or someone may donate, or something different. We just don't know right know. I can't be the only one who likes playing in leagues for fun (and bragging rights to the rest of the league, lol).

cap.tiny

any suggestions on a free/no registration chat room? if not i will just pop up on aim on the 16th

Cyrus

http://www.chatzy.com/

Haven't tried this myself but it seems good. Private chat rooms you can create and invite by e-mail only.
If I have some time on Thursday I'll try to come chat with you guys, not sure how much I'll be able to help though, I barely have time to read through threads on here.

Also, kudos for staying on topic through all of that, and not trying to rush this thing into being. I think those two factors are what have hindered every other league/community idea that has sprung up on this forum.