News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

some people on lackey...

Started by AcKS, June 03, 2011, 08:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AcKS

so there's this guy "theMagician" who plays on lackey occasionally.

he is pushy about plays and makes decisions for other people. like deciding what I target with my spells and abilities, and what I attack with for the turn, then tells you to "hurry the fuck up" when I was spectating on one of his games and told him to stop being so pushy, he tells me to "shut the fuck up".

I don't quite know if this is acceptable behaviour but it really makes playing on Lackey fun if people have more decency and patience than this person.

who else has had a bad time with this player??

Trevor

If you don't like someone, don't play with them. I don't police behaviour unless it is truly extreme.

If I started policing behaviour, everyone has different opinions about what is an offense and what isn't and it would be a logistical nightmare to try to deal with all those complaints. So I will only intervene when there is a truly extreme case of abuse.

Add people you don't like to your ignore list.

Fortunately, I have found that the overwhelming majority of players are pretty cool people. That's been my experience. Don't let a few bad people (or a few ok people who you caught in a really bad mood) spoil your fun.

XoVeR

My biggest thing is when people start moving my cards, are going into my hand and putting cards back into the library.  Mind your own board state, don't mess with mine, if you have an issue tell me, do not make moves for me.

Trevor that one should be obvious, if people start moving your cards for you, you should be able to at least police that.

Trevor

Quote from: XoVeR on June 03, 2011, 10:55:52 PM
Trevor that one should be obvious, if people start moving your cards for you, you should be able to at least police that.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. To some, that seems perfectly appropriate behavior, and even "nice" since they are "assisting" you. What it is is a pet peeve of yours, and if I start trying to police everyone's pet peeves, I will be inundated with countless little reports and I have better things to do that deal with that sort of thing.

But it annoys me too when people do that, and I know what you're talking about. Politely ask them to not change your cards or your stats and that should fix the issue. Personally, I will occasionally move an opponent's card if something is unclear, like if it should be attached to one card or to another card or to nothing. Is that an exception to the rule? Everyone has an opinion.

Maybe someone should start a thread and try to communally develop a list of etiquette. Once it is organized well, I'll make a sticky about the things people agree is part of the playing etiquette.

TheBuck

Arg, I hate that as well. Trevor do you think you can make it so only you can move your own cards and have an option of  giving up control of a card when need be?

Trevor

Quote from: TheBuck on June 04, 2011, 02:23:24 AM
Arg, I hate that as well. Trevor do you think you can make it so only you can move your own cards and have an option of  giving up control of a card when need be?
I don't think that's a good solution. I think the best solution is just to tell them not to mess with your cards/stats. Put it in a canned message if you want so you don't need to type it out every time you play with someone new.

What you are requesting is the ability to change how other people interact with cards. That is at the very least confusing to the other player. And for those times where they should be able to move a card (like for example if your cards covered his card so he couldn't pick it up), taking away the ability to do that is more frustrating than your dislike of other people moving your cards.

The general philosophy of Lackey is to let people do anything they could with real cards. If someone moves around your real life cards, you don't insist on putting a little padlock on every one and locking them down so only you can move them. You tell people not to (if they don't know which they likely would), and if they don't agree to your request, don't play with them any more. Same as with real life playing.

Forcing a computer to decide when you can't and can do things is more trouble than its worth. One reason playing with real cards is more preferable to playing online is you have all that control. For example, if I forced you to step through all the phases of the turn all the time, that would be annoying and it would slow down playing. That's kind of the same issue.
What if someone requested I make a preference that, if you play with someone with the preference enabled, you need to step through all the phases of the turn all the time? If you were to join that person with that preference, you would be annoyed that his preference settings were affecting you. And even if you liked that preference, accidentally advancing the phase could be annoying (or even frustratingly impossible).

How it is now is you have the power to do anything you want, but with great power comes great responsibility.

XoVeR

Trevor in the real game they do not start tapping or untapping my lands in real life.  They do not reach into my hand and put cards back in my library in real life.  Both of those, without permission of the player in real life is a game loss, and one can get you a suspension from sanctioned events.  It someone wants to look at my cards in real life, they have to ask first.  On lackey, they have a tendency to do it as often as they want because people are often braver online then offline.  You tell someone on lackey to stop messing with your cards they tell you "Fuck You, your taking this way to seriously" then they start typing hurry up, hurry up, hurry up.  Seriously every asshat that does it, does to be annoying, they do not care if you tell them to stop.

Trevor

Quote from: XoVeR on June 04, 2011, 11:22:15 AM
Trevor in the real game they do not start tapping or untapping my lands in real life.  They do not reach into my hand and put cards back in my library in real life.  Both of those, without permission of the player in real life is a game loss, and one can get you a suspension from sanctioned events.  It someone wants to look at my cards in real life, they have to ask first.  On lackey, they have a tendency to do it as often as they want because people are often braver online then offline.  You tell someone on lackey to stop messing with your cards they tell you "Fuck You, your taking this way to seriously" then they start typing hurry up, hurry up, hurry up.  Seriously every asshat that does it, does to be annoying, they do not care if you tell them to stop.
People can look at and manipulate your cards in real life too. If someone does that in real life, or in lackey, the solution is very simple: Don't play with them.

cap.tiny

ya guys just keep your own ignore list or something.. what your asking trevor to do will make it hard for him to work lackey and improve the best system out there. though i am sure its already hard to improve the epically awesomeness of lackeyccg. Trevor FTW!!!