News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Hexdrake Evolving Card Game

Started by DavidChaos, June 01, 2011, 04:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidChaos

More changes to be had!  Grind replaces Bounce as a keyword (Bouncing cards is still a Water mechanic).  Hopefully next week I may have a more complete card list in the game.

DavidChaos

I've made some new changes to the rules, which are in bold.  I'd like opinions on a couple of things, as well, if people are willing to give them:

1)  Teams v. Parties v. Squads:  I would like opinions on a name for the teams in my name.  If you read the rules, you'll recall that characters do not fight alone (well, most don't).  Rather, instead, at the beginning of combat and end of the turn, the turn player forms his characters into groups of up to 3, referred to as of now as "Teams".  I've been thinking of changing this term to something more flavorful, like "Party" or "Squad".  My concern is that I think the Naruto CCG also uses the term "Squad", and "Party" just doesn't roll off the tongue as well for me personally for what I'm talking about.  So what do you think?

2)  Removal:  There's already a touch of remove-from-play skills in Light, with Warp, which temporarily removes something.  And I know I'm gonna do removal more.  The theme for removal in my game is a combination of intergalactic and interdimensional travel, depending on the circumstances.  (For instance, I doubt these angels that Warp stuff are sending it to another galaxy for a turn; it's more likely a separate reality in that case, or even The Heavens).  A term for the removal zone (even though there's really no "zone"; it's just sort of a holding area for cards treated as removed are) I've come up with is "Hyperspace"; basically, a card is "sent to Hyperspace" rather than "removed from play".  What do you think?  Better ideas?  More ideas for removal-based engines?

yudencow

I don't think the names matter much, the point is how much you are comfortable with them and that they are crystal clear. In my opinion, though, I would go for "strike-teams" or something if you are worried team has no resonance, parties are not good enough and that squasds are already used. Hyperspace can work (diaperspace lol).

About your game mechanics I thought, what if you would put your source cards in your main deck, and create an entirely seperate warzone deck. Each turn every player draws a warzone, and the player assign (idk pick a term) cards to it, so there will always be a warzone.

DavidChaos

Thanks for the comments, but I feel I should explain my reasoning behind Source being a seperate deck.

Many Magic players complain about Yu-Gi-Oh being too "fast", while Yu-Gi-Oh players often view Magic as "slow".  My game is designed to provide a bit of middle ground.  A resource system I deemed necessary to regulate speed.

I looked into simply having "mana cards" as Magic has in the main deck, but realized I needed to indiviualize my game more.  A lot of games use all cards as mana, and a lot of games use a system like Magic's.  In addition, a good number of games use an outside-of-deck mana system, though notably, no game uses a separate stack of cards as mana.  Thus, the Source card, originally called the "Force" card, was created.

Warzones will be played, especially in multi-man games, because of the sheer advantage they provide; if a Warzone hasn't been attacked, you have to go there before you can go around the Warzones.  One idea I had was more of a grid system:  you could place Warzones on any given grid space, and your teams could move together from area to area.  This would actually require separate Warzones, arranged at the beginning of the game.  But, I felt like that was too much set-up, so stuck with what I had.

Warzones will be strong because, for one, very few cards will be able to get rid of them.  Second, you can gain a huge advantage through your own Warzones, especially if you have cards that are Warzone-support (one subclass I plan on having a lot of Warzone support skills, like searches and skills that come into play when battling in a Warzone.)

yudencow

Got you. But what can you do is that with evry block/set or what ever release a neutral deck of warzones like in call of cthulu ccg that has a neutral story deck. You can have it that every active player draws and plays a warzone on the field, and once a warzone is won it is removed. The number of warzones should be equal to the number of player like in the blood bowl team manager.

This is my thinkining, but it will be also call if it would come from the deck itself like in doomtown where players build streets, you can build empires.

DavidChaos

The idea behind Warzones is that they are permanent cards that affect combat, more like Field Spells in YGO.  Difference being that a different one can affect each combat.

One thing about Warzones I should mention; like Source cards, they have no actual cost.  A Warzone is just played from the hand whenever you have it.  Warzones cannot be destroyed unless a card specifically says it destroys Warzones, like Source cards.  Warzones can't be affected by cards that don't specifically affect them.  Warzones also don't get "won".  Warzones are fought upon once per turn.  The primary victory condition of my game is to reduce an opposing player's health to 0, and Warzones are, in actuality, a tool to those ends.

DavidChaos

Initial version of rules document is online!  Things to be added:

Glossary of Terms:  Will include definitions for Qualifiers and Keywords present in the game, along with terms already described

Images:  Including element symbols, drop type symbols, and card examples.

Hexdrake Rules v0.1