News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

[Brainstorm] Mana-less resource mechanics

Started by Dragoon, May 18, 2011, 01:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Typherion

My opinion is that you should decide what aspect of your ccg should be most important, and then build the resource mechanic with that in mind.

I've been watching a terrible, terrible anime about a new Japanese card game called Cardfight: Vanguard. I only watch it because I'm interested in the mechanics  :-[

The focus of the game is on creature combat. The mechanics support this focus really well because when a player declares an attack, they perform a "drive trigger check", meaning they check the top card of the deck, and if it has a certain icon, they get some bonus, then add the card to their hand.
It means attacking directly increases your resources by letting you draw more cards.

Azlinea

I'm not sure if you would consider this 'mana-less' but you do not have to tap anything to produce the mana. The game is called Fortunes of War, its an android (not sure if it has an iOS counterpart) deckbuilding card game where the amount of currency you have to buy cards each is equal to the number of coins you have in your hand. Since your hand resets each turn, you discard and draw a new hand each turn, this creates a nice limiting factor and there is definitely some strategy on how many and when you should buy coins compared to other cards.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/fortunes-of-war-free/fortunesofwar.free

Dragoon

Yesterday, I played a flash card game called The Necronomicon (mythos, of course :D) And they used 'sanity' as a cost. Each player started with an amount of sanity, and when you played a card, your sanity lowers. You could play cards to raise sanity (with negative effects) and when your sanity drops to zero, you gained harsh penalities.

cap.tiny

oh just now thought of this.....

everytime you play a card you gain "insert-name-here"
you lose X amount every turn
when you are at A, B, C, D, E, amounts you gain stacking negative effects each one getting worse and worse