News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Die rolls not random.

Started by GewoonDaan, October 05, 2012, 07:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GewoonDaan

The die rolls seem to be broken.
In general, they seem to avoid doubles, so if you roll 6 dice (/r 6), the result is always 21.
With higher numbers of dice, it seems to favor an even spread as much as possible, so 12 dice will always be 42.
A thing to note is that it is not 100% of the cases, but rather something like 99% or even less.

Trevor

I just tested it a number of times and I didn't get the patterns you mentioned.

Show me some screenshots of several successive rolls if you can see any predictive patterns.

GewoonDaan

Hm I don't know if I just missed that earlier, but now it just sequences 1-6. The only thing that changes is at what number it starts.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Saethori

I just tested this myself out of curiosity, but don't see the same results you do. In the two versions I use (4/11/12 and 2/09/12), rolling dice of varying amounts, even in the amount you have, yields no discernible pattern, and the results do not average.

So my current thought is that there is an unusual interaction with how Lackey's random number generator interacts with your system. Trevor would probably know more about specifically how Lackey calls the numbers, though, and if there's some outside force that could manipulate it.

Nava

Quote from: Saethori on October 05, 2012, 05:47:13 PM
I just tested this myself out of curiosity, but don't see the same results you do. In the two versions I use (4/11/12 and 2/09/12), rolling dice of varying amounts, even in the amount you have, yields no discernible pattern, and the results do not average.

So my current thought is that there is an unusual interaction with how Lackey's random number generator interacts with your system. Trevor would probably know more about specifically how Lackey calls the numbers, though, and if there's some outside force that could manipulate it.

This behavior was reported before, in this thread http://www.lackeyccg.com/forum/index.php?topic=1580.msg12292#msg12292; I tried it on my systems (different Mac Os X systems) which showed the described predictable behavior, but when tried on Windows (XP or 7) it seemed to be random.

GewoonDaan

Hm, weird. Well I'm getting along ok with loose die rolls.

Mac OS 10.7.4, 2,1 GHz Intel MacBook by the way

Trevor

I have tested it on Mac OSX 10.8. It's possible there is a bug running on 10.7. Exactly how are you rolling these dice? You using a macro, or typing, or something else? There's a bunch of different ways to roll dice. Please be as specific as possible. There is definitely an issue, but I haven't been able to observe it myself.