Main Menu

Magic: The Gathering Plugin Updates

Started by CrazyChucky, January 23, 2020, 09:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyChucky

New Sets

Sets with cards added

Bugfixes
  • Dungeon Master from Heroes of the Realm was mistakenly listed as a token (because one of his types is "Dungeon" 🤣). Fixed.
  • Some Secret Lair cards weren't uploaded under the right file names after Scryfall changed how they record some collector's numbers. Should all be good now.

CrazyChucky

I updated the plugin last night, but didn't get a chance to post a message here, so this is for yesterday, 10/2/25.

Sets with added card

Scripting improvements
  • Token scripts for playtest cards, and conjuring scripts for Alchemy Made Real cards, in Mystery Booster 2
  • Cards that reference finality counters can now create one.

TOKENS

This is the big one. As of Core Set 2020, Wizards introduced a new frame style for tokens. Roughly five years later, I've followed suit! I've reverse-engineered all the fancy transparency effects, and whenever possible sourced higher-res files of the art to better enlarge and fill the full-ish-art frames:

Now that Wizards has been printing official tokens that are copies of cards, I have a real style guide to follow for displaying mana costs on tokens, as reminder text rather than in the title bar like I've been doing previously:

Also included is the added legendary crown on tokens:

In some cases I've picked different illustrations, if the one I had previously didn't work well in the new aspect ratio. Handily, Donato Giancola has since done a wider view of the same creature design in his own Shivan Dragon artwork:

I've also overhauled how I handle planeswalkers. Since there are so few of them, I've been Photoshopping custom elements on top of each individual card. But now I've created separate frame elements and automated the process so that I generate them from the ground up like everything else. This means I have more freedom to alter or omit text as needed, as seen here:

(From left to right: original card, Photoshop work on top of it for the old token style, and full-generated version for the new style. This way I can leave off things irrelevant to the token — like kicker and casualty — and add the mana cost.)

I've also added all the new tokens that Mystery Booster 2's playtest cards create, but have not yet made custom art for them.

All the custom-generated tokens in Lackey can be viewed here.

Hope you enjoy them! As always, let me know if you find anything missing or incorrect.

CrazyChucky