Community Challenge: Design a Game before Midnight EST! STARTS NOW!

Started by GnKoichi, January 23, 2010, 08:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GnKoichi

Tonight, the voting ends for the community game Aardvark is organizing, which means the actual bread and butter of game design will begin. I say, just for fun, and to celebrate the beginning of a cool creative process, let's make an entire card game in 2 hours and 45 minutes, starting right now. We will do everything including the creation of a full 100 card premier set. I'll need everyone's help for this, but I think we can do it. We don't have time for looking back now. We've already spent two minutes!!! Okay, first things first. Vote for the following core ideas. Voting closes in fifteen minutes!

GENRE
- Traditional Fantasy
- Traditional Sci-Fi
- Steampunk
- Real World History
- Real World Present Day
- Nonsensical
- Other/Write-In

GAME OBJECTIVE
- Combat, Kill your opponent
- Espionage, Deceive your opponent
- Politics, Slander your opponent
- Exploration, Outreach your opponent
- Nonsensical, Do... some stuff... maybe to your opponent

GAME TYPE
- Two Unchangeable Decks
- Two Custimizables Decks
- One Shared Unchangeable Deck

GnKoichi

Also, "Other/Write In" should be an option for the other two polls.

GnKoichi

Voting Closed! Like I said, we can't look back, so off the top of my head, the winners are:

GENRE: NONSENSICAL
OBJECTIVE: COMBAT
TYPE: SINGLE SHARED DECK

Okay, next we'll decide what card types there will be in the game, and what the win condition is.

CARD TYPES:
- Suggest types you think should appear. I'm going to say "Character" is a given.

WIN CONDITION:
- Win X Points
- Reduce your opponent to 0 Life
- Kill all your opponent's characters/creatures
- Kill your opponent's main character
- Empty your opponent's hand
- Other/Write-In

GO! FIFTEEN MINUTES!

GnKoichi

Also okay. Moving forward.

CARD TYPES: Character, Creature, Equipment, Quick-Event, Slow-Event, Permanent-Event

WIN: Kill your opponent's main character

Okay, so here's what we've got. There will be a twenty card character deck. You get one random one when the game begins. You must keep him alive to stay in the game. The other eighty cards are a mix of Creatures (to attack your opponents), Equipment (to make your character better), Quick-Events (Instants), Slow-Events (Sorceries), and Permanent-Events (Enchantments).

If anyone has any ideas for mechanics or more specific rules, now's the time. Also, more flavorful names for the Event card types would be good if anyone has ideas.

GnKoichi

I'll give this current step fifteen more minutes. After this, all that will be left is creating the cards, so I really want people to get their creative feet in the water now if they want to.

Are there people interested in helping with the creating of cards between 10:45 and midnight? I'd really like the community to get involved in this.

GnKoichi

Alright. Here's the rules as I see them:

SETUP:
- Draw 1 Character from the Character Deck.
- Draw a hand of cards equal to the HAND stat of your character.
- Set your life counter up to the LIFE stat of your character.
- Whichever character has the highest SPEED stat goes first.

ON YOUR TURN:
- Draw cards until your hand is full (equal to your HAND stat again)
- Take up to two actions from this list:
   - Take your character's attack action against an opponent's character
   - Play a Creature card to attack an opponent's character
   - Play an Event card and do what it says
   - Put an Equipment card on your character
   - Put a Status card into play

CARD TYPES:
- Character (Life, Hand, Speed, Attack Action)
- Creature (Speed, Quick Damage, Slow Damage)
- Event (Instructions, can only be played on your turn, is discarded after use)
- Status (Instructions, can only be played on your turn, stays in play)
- Surprise (Instructions, can be played at any time and does not count as an action on your turn)
- Equipment (Your character can only have 2. You may discard one to replace it with a new one)

ATTACKING:
- When a creature attacks, compare it's speed to the character it is attacking. If the creature's speed is higher, deal the first damage amount. If it's lower, deal the second amount.
- When a character attacks, follow the instructions on the card.

MAKE CARDS OMG!

GnKoichi

First Batch

Noble Swordsman
Character - Male Human Adult
Life: 20
Hand: 7
Speed: 11
Hack & Slash - Deal 3 damage if you have more health than your opponent. Otherwise, deal 1 damage.

Killer Clown
Character - Male Human Adult
Life: 18
Hand: 8
Speed: 8
Balloon Animal - Deal 3 damage if your opponent is a child. Otherwise, deal 1 damage.

Wild Dog
Creature - Animal
Speed: 18
Attack: 4/0

Christmas
Event
You draw 3 cards. Everyone else draws 1 card.

Rib-Eye Steak
Surprise
Gain 1 health
OR
Prevent all damage from an attack made by an Animal

Wicked Smaht
Status
Your character gains HAND +1.

Leather Jacket
Equipment
Whenever an attack would do 1 damage to you, reduce that damage to 0.

GnKoichi

Quote from: Ripplez on January 23, 2010, 10:20:32 PM
i dont undrstand. whats going on?

I tried to challenge the Lackey community to create a game from scratch in under 3 hours. Nobody has joined in yet, so I've been doing it all by myself. We have 23 minutes left to make the rest of the cards. Don't worry about making mistakes. Jump in, the water's fine!

legend zero

This is better suited to your own personal game. It's not much of "community" game when the topic author is also the first ten or so posts...

GnKoichi

If I hadn't posted, the game would have stopped. At each step, anyone could have joined in. How is it my fault for trying to move things along when they didn't?

Ripplez

noone was here. i personly was asleep :S but i dont personly dont mind. but its true, if you did all the work you really should get all the credit. not to be facetious but i dont liek taking undue credit, its not nice and detracts from others

on the other hand if i did do somethng, your gonna bet im going to ask for it :P

100 cards in 2 hours is hard :O good luck :O

aardvark

Oh, I'm so sorry GnKoichi. If I had been home today I so would have joined in on this. I like challenges of this nature, well maybe not on such a tiny timeline but you get the idea.

You know what I think would be fun? To do something like this say at the end of every Friday for a month, only have the whole day be open, and then at the end of the month choose one to build. Just throwing it out there tho.

All in all, I like what ya' did G.

-my two cents.

GnKoichi

Thank you guys. I may have chosen a bad time to do this last night. Doing all day on a Friday or Saturday may be a good idea. But NOW(TM) it's time for the community game, and I know I'm going to put all my energy into that! Whooooo!

sneaselx

A better idea is a personal card game with full release set in a weekend. (I guess without graphics, or plugin.) This allow some to get their own ideas that just aren't good enough into a rough set, and a partially created game means maybe someone else will pick it up.

And we get to look at new creative ideas.