News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Intelligence Icon

Started by Dan55, September 13, 2012, 09:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan55

I'm creating a game where I need an icon for intelligence.  My first thought was to use a Lightbulb, but a friend suggested a Puzzle Piece.  I thought this was genius - a Lightbulb might represent sudden inspiration, but a Puzzle Piece suggests figuring something out - perfect for intelligence.

But then I wondered, a Lightbulb is a well known icon while the Puzzle Piece might not (at least at first) be recognized for what it is meant to be.

What do people think?  Or do you have a favourite third option?

Dragoon

Brain or lightbulb. However, this depends on the setting and demographic of your game.

Trevor

Regarding intellect as a stat, I think that is perhaps not the right way to go. Intellect in most modern RPGs is associated with spell casters, to contrast with strength as the main stat for warriors. This is problematic because it implies wizards are smarter than people who fight with non-magical means. While this might make sense for a learned wizard compared to a brutish warrior, it doesn't make sense for a magic-wielding beast compared to a brilliant military commander.

I suggest more general stats that don't imply more than they intend to. For example, if you want to have a stat for magic users, call it something like "arcana" or "magic" or some real or made up word like that. That way you can represent magical power without implying literally superior intelligence.
The same goes of "strength". If you want to talk about combat prowess, the term "strength" can (and often is) interpreted literally as physical strength. If you have ever seen a movie where an awesome fighter is pummeling much larger opponents, you can see how a "strength" stat is not a good choice. Instead, a more general stat like "power" or "prowess" or something along those lines is more appropriate.

Dan55

Thanks for the quick answers.  I appreciate it.

The game I'm working on is actually the mission / adventure / objective type (I'm basing the test on Call of Cthulu).  I'm going with the most basic stats possible (I think) - Mind, Body, Spirit since I hope to design it so it can be expanded into other genre.  For this to work, I need icons that can be transplanted.

Dan55

How about everyone else?  Do you have a favourite icon for the intelligence stat?

YakiOrpus

I've always liked a book icon.