Rise of the Eldrazi set added to Magic plugin

Started by Bort, April 15, 2010, 05:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bort

The Rise of the Eldrazi set has been added to the magic plugin. Just run autoupdate as normal and it should install/update everything.

The magic plugin website is at: http://www.angelfire.com/funky/magiclackey/index.html

Bort

Someone posted an unofficial patch to include the Rise of the Eldrazi set yesterday, but it caused some issues with some people updating. This update should work.

Bort

EDIT: The high version is working perfectly now, earlier than expected.

Junk_Diver

Bort,

First of all, thanks for all the hard work! I'm just a Parasitic Strix here, not a contributor in any way. I recognize that and appreciate the efforts of harder-worker, smarter people than myself. So please don't misunderstand me when I say I seem to have a problem.

I'm working with the Windows version, and used the autoupdate function to update from http://www.angelfire.com/funky/magiclackey/index.html, and it seems that the Rise of the Eldrazi cards are displaying at a noticeably lower quality than the other excellent work that you have done. Have I done something incorrectly?

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this question, and thanks in advance for your help.

Bort

Quote from: Junk_Diver on April 16, 2010, 12:54:08 PM
Bort,

First of all, thanks for all the hard work! I'm just a Parasitic Strix here, not a contributor in any way. I recognize that and appreciate the efforts of harder-worker, smarter people than myself. So please don't misunderstand me when I say I seem to have a problem.

I'm working with the Windows version, and used the autoupdate function to update from http://www.angelfire.com/funky/magiclackey/index.html, and it seems that the Rise of the Eldrazi cards are displaying at a noticeably lower quality than the other excellent work that you have done. Have I done something incorrectly?

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this question, and thanks in advance for your help.
You are correct that the RotE cards are not YET the same quality as the other scans. Usually, it takes about a week for the really good quality scans to be done. This is true for other sets too. If you ever see a card that is not good quality in lackey, and it is from a relatively recent set, there is a chance that you downloaded it during the brief window when the set had just come out and shabby and hastily scanned card images were all that existed for it. Unfortunately, lackey doesn't do scans of every card when you load it, and compare it to some remote version of it. That would be constant network activity and bog things down.

To rectify this you can delete the old versions of those cards. For example, when the superior quality scans for RotE are out, delete your entire (Lackey's Folder)/plugins/magic/sets/setimages/roe/ folder. Then, the new cards will download as needed, and this time they will be downloading the newer versions. I'll post back in this thread when the high quality scans for high are out.

If you ever want to guarantee you have the best version of all the card images, you could manually delete ever folder in your (Lackey's Folder)/plugins/magic/sets/setimages/ folder, EXCEPT for the general/ folder. I don't suggest anyone do this though, because it requires the cards to all be downloaded again, which isn't much of a pain since they do so automatically, but still. Also, realistically, only new sets would likely ever be downloaded in the poorer quality version. So you could also just delete the sets that came out since you installed the magic plugin.

This is caused by a technical issue that greatly cuts down on the amount of processing and network activity needed, but has this drawback of people potentially downloading inferior images in the narrow window of time after the set is released but the high quality scans aren't yet perfect.

Junk_Diver

Bort,

Thanks very much for the above reply and explanation. Honestly I'm happy to have any way to use this plugin at all, and the high quality of your work is a bonus for me. I'll try deleting my old roe files, per your instruction, and doing another download/update.

Thanks again!

Tokimo

Well done. I suppose it's time to try an Eldrazi deck.

Bort

I just added the 5 ROE precons. Run update, then look in the packs section.

Trevor

Streetfighter, tokens will be added to Lackey as a new feature later. In the interim, just use spawned cards. You can add counters or notes if you want.