ADDCOUNTER in quantities greater than 1?

Started by Trindall, May 09, 2014, 07:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trindall

I'm working on implementing a card game that has similar mechanics than the Pokemon TCG. 

The cards have HP values in 10 - 150 HP ranges and attacks from cards can be in ranges of 10 - 50+.  (These aren't actual values but for illustration purposes.)

The first bit of feedback I've gotten from testers using LackeyCCG is that it is annoying to have to click on the Add Damage button 40 times, as an example, on a successful attack.  And go through this click sequence on turn after turn. 

I'm using a standard cardfunction in the plugininfo.txt and I've not found out how to have the ADDCOUNTER function add any more than +1 per cardfunction.

<cardfunction>
   <label>Add Damage</label>
   <kind>ADDCOUNTER</kind>
   <color>white</color>
   <PositionX>0.15</PositionX>
   <PositionY>0.9</PositionY>
   <includeasbutton>yes</includeasbutton>
</cardfunction>

Am I missing something? 

A suggested fallback in some other threads was to use the Set [Name] to X function that can be accessed through the right click on the card.

The problem with this is that it only seems to go up to 30 so it is of limited use.

Ideally I'd like the Add Damage/ADDCOUNTER button to increment the damage counter +10 with each click rather than as +1.  Can this be done?  (And conversely the Remove Damage/REMOVECOUNTER button to be = -10.)

I appreciate any ideas of help anyone may have on this matter. 

Cheers.

Trevor

If you are only adding in increments of 10s, why not just have a red counter mean "ten red counters"? It's bad game design to not use the lowest common denominator.

You can also change the number of counters in like 10 different ways. For example, you can right click a card and set the counters to x, or add x.

Burst

Bad design or not, if a game has increments other than 1, it doesn't seem like an unreasonable request for plugin support to be able to code in +10, +5, +100, +137 or whatever is appropriate to a given scenario.

Or, maybe there are increments of 1 but also common scenarios where those increments come in large amounts. It would be nice to have a +X option, rather than a "set X" option.

Yes, I can do math; but isn't the point of lackey to make playing the games convenient?  I've played lots of games where I was incrementing single counters by large but consistent amounts,  5 or 10 at a time or even something weird like +17,  with multiple counter types it's not always (often isn't) practical to use red for increments of 10 and green for increments of 1 (for example) and in the case of +17 I'd have to adjust both which just means I'm forced to fiddle with lackey drop downs or buttons as much as actually play my turn.

It would be useful if plugin builders could put +1, +5, +10 options into the plugins.

With an ideal plugin, lackey should become invisible.  We simply play the game rather than spending time thinking about how to navigate the interface to complete an action or iteratively click through or pause and type something in.

Of course, we must interact with lackey to use it; but the goal should be to minimize the places where we using lackey simply for the sake of interacting with lackey and maximize where we are using it to play the game. 

Trevor

As I said, there's tons of ways to add counters . Try selecting a card and typing "/ccr+8" in the log. You can also set a series of canned message buttons like this.