News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Kingdom at War ccg thread

Started by Dragoon, June 11, 2010, 09:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ripplez

add a rules mechanic : revelation

Revelation : the act of revealing a card to confirm its stats, type etc.

now write tactics : activates upon revelation

does that work?

cap.tiny

lol i dont think i have ever seen a rules mechanic keyword just explaining to "reveal".. not trying to bash or anything but thats a bit extreme

Ripplez

its not a keyword for the game. its a mechanic name for the rules, like "deck" or "hand" or "play a card". having the action named means that you can make shorter rules text for flipping cards face-up from face-down, showing a card from the hand, showing the top card of your deck etc

and it was just a suggestion

cap.tiny

oh ok i was confused... i am easily confused

Dragoon

Well, I was thinking in the same vein to shorten "when this is put into the funeral prye from the field" to "dies". But the major issue with this is that it doesn't cover other card types. (attachments & schemes)

As for reveal.. Just no...

Dragoon

Looking trough my rules made me realize that I forget to add in several important concepts. Damn.

Anyway, here they are.

Deck Building
1. A deck must be of exactly 60 cards.
2. You can't include more than 3 cards that have the same english name.

Factions don't limit the amount of cards you can include. However, lot's of cards work better in the same faction.

Important Concepts

Morale
During a match, players can gain or lose morale. You can't have less than 0 morale. There is no limit on morale. During a turn, you can spend morale for the following effects:
In battle:
- You can spend 1 morale to add 1 strength to your total.

During your turn:
- You can spend 1 morale to lower the trade cost by 1. You can only do this once.

You gain morale the following ways:
- You gain 1 morale if you win a battle as the defender.

Also, several card effects affect the way you gain or lose morale.

cap.tiny

Dragoon

Continueing where I left off yesterday.

Wheeling and Dealing
Need more trade, coins or power? Trade for them, beg for them or make promises.  Need someone toleave you alone? Pay them off. It’s all part of the game...
just remember, words and promises are not binding. Just because a player has made an action doesn’t mean it has to occur. You are free to wheel-and-deal to get them to change their decision. Negotiations, however, must begin immediately after the action is declared.

However, the following rules apply to deals:
- Communication is in public.
- Only trade, coins, and power may be traded.

- As an optional rule, if all players agree before the game begins, cards on the field may be traded during the reinforcement phase of a player's turn.

Card previews will come later.

Dragoon

Slow updates are slow.

Some changes made:

Deckbuilding
Now a deck only requires 40 cards, instead of the early 60. The game is a bit too fast to play with 60 cards (you never got trough half your deck!)
Also, player require only 10 power to win a game. (I believe this was also in the rules, but I have to say it anyway)

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!

The first set, Shattered Crown, will be available on Lackeyccg as a plugin before Thursday, 21 June, 20:00 GMT-1. This is the ultimate deadline I set myself, though it might get up earlier (I will let you guys know)

Set Name
Three-Letter Abbreviation
Number of Cards
Release Date
The Shattered Crown
TSC
June 21, 2011

About Design: Part 1
Well, as I decided to give some previews, I might as well give some design philosophy around the five factions. This time, the Royal Guard. First of all, I classify all factions I build as either Force or Intrigue. The Guard is a Force faction, which means their power lies on the battlefield. Don't get me wrong, these guys have some tricky effects too, but aren't that good compared to the sneaky House Feryn. Also, I build factions around several center mechanics. One major, and several minors. The major effect is really unique only to that faction, while minor effects can bleed into other factions. Allowing you to build multi-faction decks.

Well, here can you see one of the strategies for the guard, as well as their major effect: 1-cost character synergy. Of course, other factions will have 1 cost guys too, but not as many as the Guard has, nor as great as some of the guard 1-drops.

As you can see, the 1-cost character Johan will only benefit Guard characters on the same battlefield as him (and only if he isn't some lousy doppleganger) But he also can claim some political power! What will you choose?

As the game was designed with multiplayer in mind, each faction has what have to be called 'political' cards. Cards that will benefit both you and an opponent. Or just you, if you want to, but there are other cards that might be more effective for that

Cyrus

Looks amazing, really professional. Definitely willing to give it a try once the plugin is up. Well done!

Dragoon

Always in a multiplayer game, there is that one guy that always sweeps the board and just annoys anybody.
You don't want to be that guy.

About Design: Part 2
One of the hardest and most difficult parts of the game was to set combat right. One of the first incarnations of battle blatantly copied the Call of Cuthulu mechanic and used locations to conquer. While it did fit (a bit), I found it annoying and hard to balance, as not all icons/abilities were worth equal and some where just worthless. After a few other tried idea's, I came up with the system to use tactic cards for battle. Because of this, players that are low on characters could still win a battle. Out of this tactic system simplified the combat system until I had only one stat left. To futher simplify the system, I discarded the maneuvers and other complex stuff. (You can read it back in the thread, somewhere)

As you can see, I finally used the idea of naming tactics types. Each tactic type can defeat another tactic type (but not rock-paper-scissor style!) and each type has a set amount of strength they contribute to the battle. There are four tactics at the moment. Skirmish, which can defeat no tactics, but has 4 strength. Flank, which defeats skirmish, and contributes 3 strength. Surround, which defeats skirmish AND flank, but only contributes 2 strength. And finally Rally, which won't defeat any tactic and contributes no strength, but usually has a powerful tactic effect. Both Surround and Rally can't be defeated by other tactics. When a tacitc is defeated in a battle, that tactic doesn't counts it's strength. So if your Skirmish gets Flanked, you better hope you have a sturdy second line.

Finally, these previews are from House Feryn, one of the Noble Houses factions. As you can see, this faction isn't that great in battle, but it is pretty versiable, with lots of characters with Fast. Also, this faction is focussed on card adventage, board control due exerting, and intrigues. More about intrigues at a further preview.

Wisp

cap.tiny

Dragoon

Naming changes made & term list.
I find one of the more important aspects of the game to be flavor. As said in an earlier preview, the change of battle tactics with names is one of such changes. Also, I made some changes to capture the feel better.

Possession - This is a minor name change from attachment. I choose it because people can possess both titles and blessings, as well common items.

Event - Replaces strategies. This is a bit major change, as events have no trade costs. Instead, usually events require you to exert/spend trade/influence/power. Some old strategies have become schemes, while others have become events. The major factor for changing this is the fact that strategy and tactic are pretty close and rally tactics usually have some effects. Doing this soldifieds the border between event and tactic.

Exile and Funeral Pyre - Now there are seperate discard piles, Exile and the Funeral Pyre. If a character dies on the field, it goes to the Funeral Pyre face up. Characters in the Funeral Pyre count towards the uniqueness rule.

Banish - If a card is banished, it is revealed to each player, and is then put face down into Exile. All cards in Exile are face down and only it's onwer may look at them at any time. Other players, however, may only look at the funeral pyre.

Keep - I called the deck 'Capital', but that just doesn't make sense. So I renamed it to 'Keep'.

Term for card.
Currently, I am looking for a term to replace the term 'card'. Card includes Character, Possession, Scheme, and Event. If anybody knows such a term, feel free to say.

GLOSSARY OF TERMS
Ability
Abilities are text on cards. There are three types of abilities: Static abilities, activated abilities, and triggered abilities. Static abilities are active at all times and have no text before them. Activated abilities have a bold ability name before them and requires the user to pay a cost in order to activate the ability. Triggered abilities have a bold condition that must be fulfilled before the ability. When such a condition is met, that ability triggers.

Examples: The ability "Backstab: Spend 1 trade, exert Guild Assassin to exert target character" is an activated ability. It has a name and requires it's user to spend 1 trade and exert the character in order to exert target character. The ability "Blackstone Knight can't be exerted." is a static ability. It is always active and can't be tured off, even if it's commander wishes to exert Blackstone Knight. The ability "When played: Gain 2 trade." is an triggered ability. It will activate each time you play the card and will give you 2 trade each time it is activated.

Banish
When instructed to banish a card, reveal that card to each player, then put it face down into your Exile.

Battlefield
The place where a battle is fought.

Bearer
Possessions are attached to a bearer. When a possession refers to it's bearer, it refers to the character it is attached to. A bearer may bear only one restricted possession.

Cancel
If a card cancels a card, the cancelled card has no effect, and is banished into it's owner's Exile.

Cost
The cost required to marshall a card. There are two types of costs printed costs and additional costs. Printed costs, that are noted in the top left of a card. Addtional costs are noted in the text of a card, after the phrase "To play:". When a card refers to a card cost, it will always refer to the printed cost.

Command
You command the characters and other cards that you have on the field, unless another player uses an ability or card effect to gain command of them. In that case, that player can use it and you can't. When it leaves the field or the game ends, it's returned to you.

Damage
A player with 6 or more damage loses the game.

Dies
A character dies when killed or inflicted a wound while wounded. A character that dies goes to it's owner's funeral pyre.

Exert
To exert a character, wound that character. You can only exert characters that aren't wounded. See wounds.

Kill
A character can be killed by a card effect or by reciving a wound while wounded. Killed characters die. See dies.

Target
When a card uses the word 'target' you choose what the card will affect.

Tactic
A card's tactic effect triggers when you reveal it as your tactic in battle. Tactic effect trigger only once.

Wounds
A character that recives a wound is turned sideways. A character that is turned sideways is considered wounded. When a wounded character recives a wound, it dies.