Magic MTG card language/translation workaround?

Started by frz, May 20, 2010, 02:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frz

Hi, new to the forum, my name's Franz, I'm italian but live in Spain.

I'm a long time user of magic workstation, and due to bugs and lack of development I'm trying to find another solution to play online MTG matches with my buddies. Lackey looks great for this, I absolutely love the program so far, I have only one issue with it: localization. My friends and I are not native english and it is a bit of a drawback for someone to not have text on cards in our language.

In magic workstation I got around the prob this way: I saved all the cards' full images from www.magiccards.info and substituted the english ones in the MWS pics folder and told the program to use full images, so at least at a visual level the cards were translated. It was a bit time consuming but all considered painless enough.

Now I still have all my images stored, is there a way to tell Lackey to use and display those instead of the ones in the database? Maybe in a future release having an option in the library to point the card images to a specific file/url? Any easy workaround? Am I missing something?

I'll stay tuned, this seems a great program, cheers to the developers, and I think with a bit of localization (at least at menu level) this app will be a blast for many CCG fans.

Cheers to all

EDIT: I was tinkering with the setimages folder and tried to substitute the images I have with those found in that folder and it finally worked. Only thing I wasn't doing is to restart Lackey. To batch rename the files to fit Lackey's format I used a little free utility called "Bulk Rename Utility" in case anyone's interested.

cheers

mathman1550

What you need to do is replace the images in the LackeyCCG\plugins\magic\sets\setimages folder, making sure to use the same image name. Also, make sure they are the same size or smaller or Lackey will cut off some edges.
If you don't want to save each card in the folder of its set, you can also delete the set folder and save them all in the general folder, and Lackey will look in the general folder before trying to DL a new one. (if I'm remembering correctly)

Trevor

Does www.magiccards.info even have alternate language versions? Where did you get your card images? I'm not completely sure how that plugin was done, but I think it would actually be trivial to get completely working alternate language image downloads.

frz

Hi there and thanks for the replys,
yes magiccards have alternate language versions, it is sufficient to load up any card page and on the right hand column you'll see every edition that card is in as well as the language it has been translated to (if any) for example http://www.magiccards.info/m10/en/1.html

actually as things are now it is not that much of a hassle, with a bit of copying/renaming it is sufficient to swap the files as mentioned by mathman1550.

I was thinking about a way to click a card in the library and giving a specific url/location to grab the image could be an easier option than manually tweaking the CardImageURLs txt files that might be a bit confusing as well as solve the file naming issue.

Anyways, as I found a viable workaround it actually isn't that big of a deal, or at least the issue could be lower on the to-do list.

cheers and keep up the good work!

Bort

I was just going to make a seperate version of the high plugin for different languages. But there seem to be alternate foreign language versions of some cards, and not all. For example, you will find an alternate art version for Acidic Slime, but not for Hystrodon, for example. If there actually is a place that has all of them alternate card images for every card, I will post an autoupdate URL for them.